TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Abuja
London, England, United Kingdom
“be surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Okay it's only fair to say from the outset that this is a hotel which has seen better days and needs a serious makeover. However, as so often it's the staff who define the quality of a hotel and this is one with loads of personality - as in great people. Right from Tunde and Obama on the front desk to the excellent Ibrahim on the management side you will be well cared for .In fairness I did see someone pretty upset about something but that's hotels for you. My own view is that the food was fine, the staff were delightful and if I had time I would have loved to spend time in the pool. Maybe next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Mark

Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. Please be assured that we will address the items mentioned by you. Know that you have made us very proud and specifically the staff you mentioned. It is so rare that people take the time to say thank you - you are a true officer and a gentleman.

I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Kind regards. Boris Bornman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Old, dirty and musty rooms that are overpriced. Light and bathroom fixtures were falling apart. First room had no working TV. Second room wasn't much better, Definitely not worth the USD$400+ a night paid. Extra charge for breakfast and room service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Please be assured that we are addressing the items mentioned by you. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Kind regards.

Boris Bornman, General Manager
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were on a trip to Abuja as a delegation. Every experience was disappointing. The rooms were musty and smelt bad. I shifted to a club room by almost paying twice the rate. This was very average. The faucets were very old and the temperature could not be controlled. The air on was noisy and ineffective. I slept with the windows opened. The staff did not seem well trained and took time to even allot rooms. They give you the worst exchange rate. You can only pay in dollars and was a 6% adverse exchanger ate.
We selected this hotel because it was a Sheraton. Not worthy of being labelled one. Many better hotels in Abuja and more reasonable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Sheraton needs to take care of their brand. This was the worst I have stayed in
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurb, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.

Kano
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have stayed at Sheraton Abuja numerous times, on business trips. What I like about the hotel: location is good, easy access to most parts of Abuja city. It is in the 'five star' style, with several restaurants, hundreds of rooms, shops, a large swimming pool, business centre, etc. The food at its restaurants (particularly Papillon) is exceptionally good, serving continental and local dishes from across the country. Only on one occasion have I had cause to complain about one of the offerings at Papillon (during breakfast), which to my surprise the manager at the restaurant (can't recall his name... Henry?) remembered the next time I stayed, which was months later - he asked me whether the dish was now to my liking (which it was); I was surprised and impressed that he remembered.

I like the layout of the rooms, which has the wash basin in a separate sort-of dressing area. The rooms have looked the same since my first stay at the Sheraton in the late 1990s, up to my last stay 12th-14th.

Now for the things I do not like: Over the years, the rooms have become jaded and old. I have seen on two occasions a tiny roach on the room floor. Furniture/chair in room old and sometimes torn in places with the foam exposed (once when I complained I was given a better room). Some rooms have no safes. A colleague once had his laptop stolen from his room, so make sure you lock all valuables. Also, if you are unlucky, your room card key may keep malfunctioning as has happened to me on occasion. What I do not like the most: the bar area next to the reception plays loud music until late in the night, and the noise can be quite disturbing if you are trying to sleep. Other Sheratons I have stayed in (Kampala/Uganda and Lagos/Nigeria) were a better hotel experience.

For a long time Sheraton Abuja has been advertising a major refurbishment of the rooms, perhaps that has now been completed. If the rooms are being changed to what was shown in the computer generated models/photos, then it looks to be a major upgrade. I hope so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a safe (as not all their rooms do). Keep valuables locked in the safe. And b...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The scheduled revamp is now a reality and will start early next year. Please do let me know when you here, would love to show you the mock-up room.

Milano
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

It is not the best hotel in the city but its ok for short stay. The swimming pool is big enough and in a quite place while the gym is very small and dirty. The food is generally good but expect to wait a long time before be served. The hotel has also a discotheque that become crowded from friday to sunday. The staff is generally friendly and polite.

Room Tip: I personally enjoyed the grill at Obudu restaurant. Rooms are generally noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012

t — +234.9.4612000 f — +234.9.4601511

SHERATON ABUJA HOTEL
1 Ladi Kwali Street, P.M.B 143, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria
sheraton.com/Abuja Also on &
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is the absolute worst Sheraton anywhere on the planet!

While some of the staff is helpful, I picked the check-in agent who took 30 minutes to input my credit card details, copy my passport, search for a key, etc etc I could not figure out what was taking him so long, while the other agents were checking in one person after the other.

The entire place is in a general state of disrepair and neglect. My room had a strong musty smell, the battery of the safe was empty, burned out lightbulbs in the bathroom. Some of my co-travelers changed rooms several times because the A/C was not working or dripping, etc.

The most interesting thing (for a Sheraton) is that the hotel is actually a thriving brothel. When entering the elevators, there is a register - I was not asked to put my name down, but at night I observed several (admittedly very attractive) ladies putting down their names. I assume this is to keep track of their fees back to the hotel. The Elephant bar is the showroom for the ladies, so not recommended when looking for a simple dinner.

Quite unbelievable that this hotel is permitted to carry the Sheraton brand!

Room Tip: Apparently there are refurbished rooms, but all I saw was that the tile floor had been replaced with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Kind regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The banqueting staff was the most helpful and organised team during my stay at the Sheraton in Abuja. The conference went very well and all staff was always at hand to assist during our 5-day conference. I have stayed in a few Sheraton hotels before, even in Harare, Zimbabwe, so I was quite dissapointed in the state of the bedrooms... The lobby was clean and access to wi-fi was very good.

Kind regards,

Boris Bornman

Been to Sheraton Abuja Hotel? Share your experiences!