TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Special Offer
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Abuja
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
“Very nice hotel with kitchenette near Treasury House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites twice for several weeks at a time. Once in August 2010 and again in November/December 2010. It is only a 10-15 walk from Treasury House. I stayed at 3 different places in Abuja and this was the best for me.

The hotel is quite newly renovated so everything is clean and in working order. The kitchenette has only a microwave and mini-bar but I made do. The room/suite is spacious and comfortable. The table and chairs serve comfortably as a computer work centre. The beds are comfortable too - not those nasty foam slabs on wooden platforms that seem to be in all the hotels in Nigeria.

I had one incident where a male staff member seemed to be imposing himself into my room but I ejected him and, after speaking to the manager, it did not happen again. When I left the window open, a lizard crawled up the wall and into my room on the 3rd floor - but I knew it would not hurt me - this is Nigeria after all...

My only complaint is about the fitness centre. It is located in a small building in the back garden. The windows do not shut properly and the air conditioner is not adequate, so it is impossible to cool it. The staff do not turn on the air conditioning so even if I went there well after the opening time, the room would be stiffling hot. I even tried calling ahead and asking to have the air conditioning turned on so that it would cool off a bit for me to go down 30 minutes later. They would say they were doing it but no one ever did. I found that in Nigeria people cannot say no. So they say yes whether they are going to follow through or not. It was frustrating but it is their culture and I had to adapt.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed at the Hawthorne three times now and basically quite happy with it. The place is reasonably new, the checkin staff friendly and the rooms spacious. My rooms were always the same, with a large open plan bedroom, sitting room and a kitchenette.
Tried dinner there once, Prawns and rice and that tasted ok. Nothing great, but perfectly edible. Would have loved a beer with the food, but there is no alcohol at the hotel. There was a breakfast buffet which was included in the price.
Like so many things it is amazing that even in a reasonably new hotel the attention to detail and maintenance is so lacking. AC units that don’t work, a space age bathtub/shower which was squeezed into the bathroom leaving wall exposed and untiled, a coffee machine in the room, but not coffee to put in it, bathroom fittings loose and coming off.

For Abuja it is a good choice at a decent price, certainly much better than the Transcorp. Just a shame that it is being let down by the details.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Lagos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Adaku D.A

My experience this time was wonderful, although expected considering my past experience. There was a lot of improvement at my last stay with my colleaques during NOG12 held in Abuja in February. A serene environment, sucurity presence felt (very important),the rooms were ok, at least there was no complaint from myself nor my colleaques and they all recomended the hotel, and wished to use same come next NOG13 or on any of their trips to Abuja.

For myself, Hawthorn Suites, is more of a home in Abuja for visitors, torrists and the likes.
The customer service was a lot better and above all, have a listening Asst. General Manager Mr. Henry..., there is nothing like it, always at customers service at all times irrespective of his status, and down to earth.

Well I leave the rest for the next visit, and do hope they keep up the tempo...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

It is apparent that the team in this hotel are trying hard, and it's price by Nigeria standards suggests they are offereing value. The room is large with a lounge and I can not fault that. The service was okay. But once again the hotel fails on attention to detail.

My first room had a problem and so they redirected me to another room. Bits of the moldings in the room have falling off. The toilet seat was lose. The upstairs foyer has a massive hole in the ceiling, and only one of the two lifts worked.

My bedroom door could not lock properly so I went to bed with a chair wedged under the door handle.

I thought the breakfast was dreadful!

My credit card could not be processed and I had to pay cash.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Lagos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The environment was simple and welcoming! Not overly decorated yet casually attractive and warm. The rooms were okay and clean and staff quite pleasant. A few minor hitches though but i had a good night sleep which was essential for me. The customer service was impressive and sure would like to return some other time.

Room Tip: Dont bother choosing, standards of all rooms should be the same. Mine overlooked the road but was qu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Jos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family for the first time. liked the decor and quality of the room...but actually observed that the staff services and management are inefficient.There is need for improvement in traditional foods and also i do not like the fact that there is a kitchen with no complete kitchenette.But generally,had a good and wonderful stay there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Belmont, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I enjoyed my short stay at this hotel. Had regularly stayed at another similarly priced hotel but decided to try this one for a change--glad that I did. Liked the size of the room, its decor, and the quality of the bathroom the best. I found the staff to be very courteous and helpful and I liked the complimentary breakfast as well. I will be staying at this hotel when next I'm in Abuja--hopefully they will keep the rates reasonable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
hawthornabuja, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for giving us a try after your several stays in another hotel in Abuja. We are particularly pleased that you liked our spacious suites, the quality of our bathrooms and our complimentary breakfast buffet. These features amongst others like kitchenettes in every room and free internet access are some of the ways we add value to our very reasonable room rates.

Now that you have found us, we look forward to welcoming you back again and again on your future trips to Abuja.

Yours sincerely,
Kayode Aina

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja? Share your experiences!