TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Protea Hotel Asokoro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bola Ige Close | Asokoro, Abuja, Nigeria   |
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in Abuja
London, United Kingdom
“you absolutely don't get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This hotel charges ridiculously high prices (more than $330/night) for rooms that are shabby and internet service that MIGHT work if you go sit in the lobby, but never worked in my room (a 5 day stay). Hot water definitely was in short supply, as noted by another review. Breakfast is a mind-boggling $38 for a very average buffet. Check-in for 2 people never took less than 45 minutes (we checked in and out more than once due to internal trips in Nigeria), though the staff was always friendly. They just couldn't seem to work out how to get this done faster--probably because of all the other people coming to the desk to ask what happened to their laundry, or why the internet still didn't work. This is clearly a place that knows it doesn't have competition in its area, and thus extorts money from hapless travelers who don't have a choice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Arabic first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

decent location, but bathroom barely functioning, staff slow, nice swimming pool with lots of mosquitos though. The food is ok for abuja standards but the service can really be slow. You would be faster waiting yourself. All by all, ok but only if necessary

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed 8 nights. Two things were really disappointed. First, I needed to request to have small change upon check-out. A receptionist mentioned that that is small amount, which he meant to order me to forget. It is not the matter of amount but the attitude toward a customer. I think he could say, at least, that he is sorry not to have a small change. What he did is that he asked me whether I have changes while he provided me a large amount of money. (I can`t. If I could, there was no necessity for the receptionist to give me change!) I explaned I have no change and them he asked another staff. After getting pocket money of him, he provided me without saying anything. My feeling was so bad. Secondly, by my fault, I forgot few things in the drawer in the room. I contacted the hotel next day through e-mail and asked to have remaining to hand over to my friend. The response was late and as follows: a staff threw some of remainings at the room to the garbage. Others, much important, were not explaned well. (Although I asked several times.) I don`t know the hotel checked drawer or not. The response from the hotel necessitated me to understand to forget about them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
lagos nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have stayed here several times this year while in Abuja for business. The room sizes and good, and the proximity to my place of business is convenient. The food, breakfast in particular is not spectacular to me, while other meals (local) during the day have been a lot better.

Check in/out processing time is great.

The wifi internet is painfully slower than the poor internet service you would get from a mobile device. I have encountered courteous staff while a few have just been shocking.

The furniture (door of the fridge cabinet) always seems to fall off as i have experienced this on 3 occasions in different rooms. Tell tale signs of a revamp in need.

For the price paid they should aim to do better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

If a hotel charges as much as this one does, you should get much more than you do at this Protea. The hotel smells like mildew or garbage or cigarette smoke always (never mind that there are No Smoking signs everywhere--it's still permitted). The carpets are dirty and I found clumps of someone else's hair on mine. The hot water lasts 6 minutes, so forget about a bath. To use the internet, you must get a new user ID and password every 48 hours for each device you want to connect to the WiFi, and the Internet was down for over 24 hours during part of my stay. The sheets are cheap and scratchy. The food so so. Prostitutes are seen at random hours. The gym is a smelly windowless dungeon in the basement whose treadmills lurch to a halt when the electricity goes out (but don't worry the music keeps playing). Overall, if you an avoid this place, go somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013
PH-Asokoro, General Manager at Protea Hotel Asokoro, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Meredith D

Thank you for taking the time to complete a GUEST comment card during your recent stay at Protea Hotel Asokoro as well as the very useful additional comments you made on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback about the foul odor, carpets, minimal hot water, poor internet with continuous sign on procedure, bed linen, poor quality food & gym certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality that Protea Hotel Asokoro is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up and remedial action has been and will be taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

I can furthermore assure you that your comments will be used in a constructive way with the refurbishment process that we have started with. Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and we will be sure to incorporate your suggestions and address your concerns.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS' expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

As a gesture of our concern, I would like to invite you back to Protea Hotel Asokoro once we have a refurbished room ready for you to experience. I will keep your contact details on file and I will personally be in contact with you once the rooms are ready, hopefully in the very near future. I can assure you, should you find an opportunity to take up this offer that every effort will be made to ensure you enjoy our very best care and attention.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Asokoro again soon.

Yours sincerely

Woodside, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The room was surprisingly modern--ikea light wood, flat screen tv, spacious. But the old, stained rugs are in desperate need of replacement. Keep showers short because in 3-5 mins, you are out of hot water. At night, the smell of sewage emanates from the toilet I presume. It didn't waft out into tje bed area. The Internet worked ok. The hotel had good security. The food is alright. The first night I had grilled pork chops which were tasty but I want you to allow a lot of time if ordering off the menu. It took about an hour for our food to come. I think it is a ploy to encourage eating from the buffet. The plus is in the morning you can order eggs any way you like. French fries are great! I saw a couple of cockroaches at the bar so don't be alarmed if you see one. Never saw one in my room. Despite some shortcomings, it isn't a bad hotel at all. For the price, it isn't luxury but Nigeri is expensive. I have seen horrible hotels for much more! I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
PH-Asokoro, General Manager at Protea Hotel Asokoro, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear travelnomi

Thank you for leaving us your comments on TripAdvisor after your stay with us. We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible.

Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us, and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon.

We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best!

Yours sincerely,

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

For a first time traveler to Nigeria we booked at this hotel. Being a gold prokard holder i decided to stay here with my colleague ($720 for 2 rooms). All i can say is it has been shocking. The rooms are old and dingy and have a terrible damp smell. The carpets look like they are 30 years old. The shower was dirty. When we checked in, my colleague had to change rooms because someone had taken a dump in the toilet and the whole room smelled so bad that we were both gagging. All morning (From 7:30) we were getting calls asking what time we will be checking out?!
Not up to usual Protea Hotel Stds!!!!
Thankfully we were here for only one night!

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PH-Asokoro, General Manager at Protea Hotel Asokoro, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Brandoneisie31

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Asokoro. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback about the rooms that were allocated to you certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality that Protea Hotel Asokoro is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up and that remedial action will be taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

We have just started a refurbishment process and hopefully in the very near future we will be able to offer you the quality of rooms that you are used to staying in at Protea Hotels.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

At your convenience, please feel free to make contact with me at rudi.jvr@gmail.com as I would like to discuss the rate you were charged. As a Prokard member the rate is definitely incorrect and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss and rectify this with you ASAP.

Yours sincerely

Rudi

Been to Protea Hotel Asokoro? Share your experiences!