TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Awful and disgusting!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nicon Luxury, Abuja

Nicon Luxury, Abuja
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Abuja
Nicon Luxury, Abuja
You added Nicon Luxury, Abuja to your Saves list
Plot 903 Tafawa Balewa Way | Area 11, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria   |
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Abuja
London
“Awful and disgusting!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I think my title says it all. I saw the other reviews before I went and I just prayed that they were being harsh or unkind but alas not! I have stayed in some awful hotels in my time but never have I had to pay so much for the pleasure. Where should i start?

When you arrive at the hotel you can see from the lobby that it is an old hotel but slightly worn out building but it does not prepare you for what is to come. The staff at reception are friendly but not very knowledgeable.

When we got to the room heart just fell! The carpet was black with dirt, the doors had dirt on them, the tea cup was cracked, the bin in the toilet had not been emptied, the sheets and blanket on the bed were old and torn....I could go on and on but I won't.

The final straw for me was the following morning. We were at the hotel for a workshop and at break time i went to the toilets and nearly fainted with horror. The toilets were dirty, smelly and without toilet paper. As i write this review I am checking out this evening and moving to another hotel - The Chelsea!

Oh and I don't know why they keep saying that they have internet connection in the rooms because it does not work!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Aberdeen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We had the misfortune to stay in this dreadful hotel for 5 nights in February. Sadly I could not say one good thing about our stay other than we got a free bottle of water in our room every day.

Check in through to check out was a disaster. The staff while friendly are untrained, there are many staff who do not know what to do. The building is tired with no sign of any investment, in the structure, furnishings or staff. The greatest misfortune during our stay was that the AC in all of the bedrooms was broken and our stay was so hot and uncomfortable that nerves were frayed from the start. Our party booked 5 rooms, everyone complained of the same issues.

The hotel did however allocate a driver to us, he was a pleasure and even helped me sort out some of the issues relating to broken things in our room, sad that it was a taxi driver who helped and not the many hotel staff we asked. So thank you Charles.

The food was terrible, overpriced and badly served, the buffet food was the same for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We went to the Hilton to eat every night.

The swimming pool looked dirty with a film of grease on the top. Wifi did not work in the rooms, we didn't try it in the bar. Everything about this place is broken.

If you are staying in Abuja, don't go to this hotel, we stayed in the Transcorp Hilton the week before and it is a far nicer hotel. This place really is the worst, most unpleasant hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hampshire, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Aged decor, bedroom interiors, poorly working lifts, not that helpful staff, over priced
Free internet but didn't work in room only in bar area

Good pool area

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

This hotel used to belong to Le Meridien and is still mistakenly called Le Meridien by the locals. The building is huge, with the top floors mostly not in use. Hallways are enormously wide and the rooms are very spacious but have more emptiness than furniture. Very european-style bathroom and general room set-up. All 'no disturb' signs and some of the amenities still carry Le Meridien logo. There are safes in the rooms but they need to be unlocked by the hotel staff. Big swimming pool, gym (with just a few machines), sauna and tennis court. Good breakfast and all-day dining arrangement. There are conference facilities and secure parking. The hotel is next to the International Conference Center of Abuja.
Reception staff seemed rather unfriendly even though the hotel is rather over-priced, the laundry was delivered back only after two requests, airport pick up service was not provided even though confirmed two times. The complimentary internet connection is a joke and needs some serious fixing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Missouri, U.S.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I recently stayed at the Nicon while in Abuja for the holidays. It had it's good and bad points:

The Good: friendly staff (they always responded to our complaints), beautiful views (I could see Aso Rock from our room!), room service (great roast chicken and chips/fries!), great shower (if you like to take really hot showers like I do)

The Bad: air conditioning (barely cooled the room), a little outdated (carpet, bed), bad shower (no curtain so the floor gets wet quickly), too expensive

Overall, the Nicon Luxury is too expensive but is adequate. It would not be my first choice but I would consider it as an alternative as choices are limited by American standards.

• Liked — the views of Abuja
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Called the nicon luxury but I couldn't find the luxury here. very expensive as with all hotels aiming at the overseas visitor but does not offer value - even by Nigerian standards. Rooms are large, dirty and smelly. food here is best avoided. Last time i was in Abuja i stayed at the Hilton and will make sure i stay there again next time. pretty much the same price but much much better.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nicon Luxury, Abuja? Share your experiences!