“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guesthouse Terra Africa

You added Guesthouse Terra Africa to your Saves list
Guesthouse Terra Africa
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   6 Kenneth McArthur Street | Olympia, Windhoek, Namibia   |
Ranked #25 of 78 Windhoek B&B and Inns
Hasselt, Belgium
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed for 1 night on a round trip through South Africa & Namibia. We thoroughly enjoyed staying here because it genuinely felt like coming home.
The room was clean, light and airy with a comfortable bed. Also, after a few days without internet, we enjoyed the WiFi.
The staff was very friendly and also very helpful in arranging a dinner reservation for us & taking a post card to put it in the mail for us.
There is a beautiful backyard that we could step down into from our room where there are tortoises, which is fun.
The guesthouse is located right off of a busy road, but with a gated parking right in front of the building and live wire, there are no concerns about safety.
We found breakfast to be sufficient with choices between cereal, bread, fruit, etc. and hot breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a not-very-special guesthouse opposite the State House property (which in itself is worth driving past, as it could be from a James Bond movie set!)
But Terra Africa is a bit of a jumble; to get to our room we had to negotiate lots of steps and no one offered to assist. Room was a bit poky and it's right by a busy highway. The pool was supposed to be heated - it wasn't. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss. Overall ... give it a miss. The new Hilton in the centre of Windhoek is fab!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DesertGlobeTrotters, Owner at Guesthouse Terra Africa, responded to this review, February 23, 2015
Thank you very much for your review.
The initial feedback was rejected by TripAdvisor as it hade our interactive website link on.

I regret that you did not like your stay in our Terra Africa House.
The building and situation of the new State House of the Republic of Namibia constructed across the road from us is unfortunately none of our fault and this seems your personal expression rather.
I do apologize that adequate assistance was not provided for your luggage to your room.
We acknowledge that Terra Africa House is situated in the City of Windhoek and along a busier main road. Therefore, we have introduced sound dampening curtains and flooring to assist in this regard. It does quite down after rush hour though.

We are a guesthouse, and all our rooms are of varying sizes and designs. Rooms are not extremely large (as would be the case with lodges in the nature), but in relation to city properties.
The Hilton is a lovely 5-star international chain hotel, newly built and also at about 4-5 times our price - but, I am glad you enjoyed your stay over there.
At the end - as long as you enjoyed Namibia, I apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced with us.

Your are welcome to contact me at rolf@terra-africa.com

With kind regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here on our final night in Namibia. The location is easy to find and off a main highway, nice gated drive-up. The staff were pleasant and helpful and recommended us eating at the local mall since we had a long day and just needed a quick bite to eat. Sadly though the rooms really need to have a refresher, everything feels very worn and dingy with lots of hand-written directions taped up. The shower did not have a shower curtain and no matter how I angled the shower head I managed to soak most of the bathroom. Breakfast was very basic and by the time we sat down most items were already gone even though it was not that late. Only giving an overall average rating since the staff was nice and location was good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We where a family with two kids arriving from an overnight flight without luggage. The staff has been very friendly and took great care of our "problem".
The place is nicely built with a beautiful relaxing garden. Rooms where ok and bathroom just ok. Breakfast was basic.
It is located close to a bigger shopping mall what has been very convenient to do the necessary shopping for an upcoming trip.
We got a lot of good hints and recommendations about where to go in town.

Overall very convenient place. We would go there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Terra Africa is my home away from home. I have been going to Windhoek on business for over 4 years now and in the beginning stayed at different guest houses, but only found the guest house for me in Terra Africa.
The staff are friendly and welcoming and the owners really make you part of their family, yet keep it very professional.
The accommodation is up to standard and your are getting what you pay for and more.
I recommend Terra Africa to anyone!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Centurion, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Guesthouse Terra Africa is my first and only choice when in Windhoek. If they cannot accommodate me I will rearrange my business trip to ensure that I can stay at the guesthouse. I have been staying at the guesthouse for the last three years and recommend this guesthouse to anyone looking for a home away from home. This is where staff become family and the house becomes a home.

Rolf and his team are excellent hosts who always go the extra mile to ensure a memorable stay. I look forward to the next time I can stay with them and wish them well with the upcoming renovations.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Terra-Africa, Owner at Guesthouse Terra Africa, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Juanette B!
Thank you very much for your message, rating and feedback.
We always value all feedback whether direct or through online portals, as this enables us to build on the future and success of our Terra Africa dream!
We look forward to you next visit and we are overjoyed and humbled by your comments that you feel a part of the Terra Africa family and that this is your home in Namibia!

We look forward to welcome you in our Windhoek guesthouse and YOUR residence in Namibia!

With regards and blessings of Light, Love & much Laughter,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

How I wish that we had spoken with Rolf, and how I wish that I could write a better review. Our stay at Terra Africa had me literally in tears. We were booked in by our tour company for our first night in Windhoek on our 10 day tour of Namibia. So, we had no choice, but were happy to trust our Tour Company with their choice of accommodation. Big mistake.

The location was fine and easy to find, on the back of driving 1,000 km to reach Windhoek. We were given a warm welcome - just as one would expect from a family home. The outside of the property is pleasing and welcoming, and there was also sufficient parking. The reception area was fine, but the difficulties really started with our room. It was stuffy, dark and just simply dismal. Faulty aircon did not help much with the stuffiness. The carpet was grubby and stained and I kept my flip flops on the whole time. The bathroom and shower were better than the room, but only just.

The real problem came with the beds and the linen. Our son's bed had dirty pillowcases with what looked like footmarks all over it, and I removed FIVE long black hairs from the sheets. It looked like it had never been changed from the previous occupant. Worse was to follow in the morning when I discovered the bloodied carcasses of what looked like fleas all over my sheet. See the photos. Thank goodness I slept with my clothes on - after my son's bed I was taking no chances.

To say that I was upset was an understatement. I met the receptionist who had greeted us the previous day and she asked me if I had a good night. When I told her that I definitely didn't - and proceeded to tell her about the hairs and fleas, her smile instantly disappeared and she walked off. I asked her to please come and look at the sheets in my room, but she did not want to listen.

We complained to the Tour Company who told us that 'Terra Africa' is one of their top accommodations, and they were shocked when we told them of our experience. However, as we later found out, their benchmark and ours for 'good' accommodation varies massively. Tired, dated and old fashioned we can live with, but poor hygiene is simply unacceptable. Standards of hygiene also need to be looked at in the breakfast room, which we also found not up to an acceptable standard. As Terra Africa will soon be undergoing a rennovation, we can only hope that these issues will be well and truly dealt with.

All in all, a nightmare start to our stay in Namibia. At R1,498 for our stay for two adults and one child, it was just insult to injury.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Terra-Africa, Owner at Guesthouse Terra Africa, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear Mrs Groenewald,

Thank you for your feedback and comments.
We have engaged with your local booking/tour office on matters presented by yourself regarding Guesthouse Terra Africa and your visit to Namibia in general.
We will look into the relevance thereof and commit ourself to better our service efforts as we have done for the last 10 years.

On behalf of Guesthouse Terra Africa I once again sincerely apologize for your inconveniece.
A mild correction: Your husband did speak to me and I was readily available during the morning of your stay. Furthermore, I walked to your tour truck to say goodbye, once again apologized for your unhappiness and made the final arrangements regarding your vehicle that would stay behind in Windhoek as well.

Also, the "fleas" refered to are rain bugs and mossies that may have been attracted by the room lights and the open sliding door - I confirmed this personally after your check-out when I went into the room.
Matters such as the hair on you bed and "feet" on the pillows I personaly addressed with my Manager and staff as well.

I wish you safe travels on your future destinations and a wonderful 2012!

Rolf Hansen
Partner/Group Manager & Receptionist if need be :-)

Been to Guesthouse Terra Africa? Share your experiences!