I've had the great fortune of travelling to Namibia at least once a year since 2006. I've stayed at Vondelhof numerous times, although not always as I like to check-out other options and sometimes Vondelhof has been fully booked. Not only have I never had a problem there, I have always found the staff, particularly the owner Yvonne, very helpful. Below I outline what I find to be good and not so good about my stays at Vondelhof below.
* The price. I've stayed at 5 other hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs in Windhoek. Overall, I would rank Vondelhof 1 or 2 - 1 if I consider price, 2 if I don't.
* The breakfasts - sufficient options (cereals, toast, cold cuts, fresh fruit, yoghurt, coffee and tea).
* The rooms. Yes, they are simple, but they are nice and usually have a good desk to work at which is important for me. Beds are comfortable. Plenty of blankets for when its cold (mid-May to mid-August). If you want something special stay at the new Hilton in City Centre at USD200 a night
* Location: 5 minute walk to City Centre, but be careful about walking ANYWHERE (not just around Vondelhof but truly anywhere in Windhoek, especially quiet areas) after the sun sets (or even before) in Windhoek. Muggings, pickpockets, car break-ins are common.
* Security: electronic fence, safes in each room and remote controlled entrance gate.
Not so Good
* Rooms can be cold during Namibia's winter, mid-May and mid-August. However, there isn't much that can be done about this - this is the reality of life in Namibia, especially Windhoek. Its a desert environment and Windhoek is 1,800m above sea level. The buildings are built for the 9 months of the year when temperatures climb about 30 degrees Celsius.
* Can get dinner at Vondelhof, but then why would you want to since Windhoek has numerous great restaurants. I particularly enjoy: O Portugal; Am Wienberg; Zoo Cafe (although its called something else now);
* There is not fitness centre, but there is a pool.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.