“No internet access, no refund” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Verdi Guesthouse

You added Villa Verdi Guesthouse to your Saves list
Villa Verdi Guesthouse
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Verdi Street 4 | Windhoek West, Windhoek, Namibia   |
Ranked #51 of 73 Windhoek B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“No internet access, no refund”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I booked to stay at this hotel using hotels.com as I was flying to Namibia and it was absolutely vital I had a hotel with a good internet connection. I had previously rejected a hotel in Windhoek on the grounds that it could not guarantee fast internet, and so was reassured that Villa Verdi advertised a fast internet connection. My wife even checked this on the phone when booking, which was only a matter of days before the trip.

Having flown 940 miles and arriving at 8pm, I was told on checking in that the internet was not working, and indeed that it had not worked for quite some time. The receptionist literally said: "I don't know why they tell you the internet works when you book, because it never is. You're not the first person to complain about this."

She was friendly enough, and actually very helpful in calling around to find me a hotel that did have a working internet connection. So I had to pay for a taxi and schlepp around in a city I didn't know, in the dark.

Because I was booked for two nights, hotels.com agreed only to refund me half the hotel cost, because in their opinion I cancelled at the last minute. In my opinion, I was mis-sold in the first place.

They have subsequently agreed to offer me $50 off a future booking with hotels.com. Why would I want to do that after this experience with them.

I can't comment much on the Villa Verdi myself, other than to say that the bedroom wasn't that impressive and it all felt a bit dark and damp, but it was not top dollar and I'd have put up with it for a couple of nights.

Not a place I would choose to stay at again, and I will not be using hotels.com in future either. A disreputable company in my opinion.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
LeadingLodges, Guest Relations Manager at Villa Verdi Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Dave,
We are really sorry for this inconvenience, it is true that we have had problems with our internet but these are not really to blame on the guesthouse. Stable and high speed internet is not easy to find in Namibia. Due to your report I've selected a new internet service provider and we now offer Wi-Fi free of charge at the reception arena and we are still planning to send this signal to all rooms. I hope with this information you consider to stay with us again on your next trip to Windhoek. If you do so, please to not hesitate to contact us so we can perhaps compensate your for the inconvenience. Kindest Regards, Timo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Apon arriving at the guesthouse,i was so happy a nice green place,i proceed to reception were i found a rude receptionist every time i asked her a question is like she does not understand i had to use simple english as if i were speaking to a pre-primary kid and to make it worst she seems not to care.she later took me to my room & to honest the room is nice& clean but unfortunately the aircon was not working&the telephone too,i went to ask her if this is hw their services are,she just asked me what do i mean,i told her about the aircon &the telephone,she gave me an ungly& anger look,i got so angry too & i asked for my money,she start to shout& told me,sir i got nothing to do with your money maybe you have to go ask your agent,that was so rude,a receptionist shouting at me& looking at me like some dead meat and to my surprise and shocking she happens to be the person incharge of the place,plz get a better person,she is worst.Such a shame to see how my own people changed after coming back from the SA.Good bye

• Stayed April 2012
Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The web pictures are incredibly deceiving! I am a well travelled person and I know when I am being ripped off and Villa Verdi's rates are ridiculous for what is offered 1. On arrival I had to get out of my car and open the gate to drive in and the establishment is not in one of the best areas in Windhoek 2. The Receptionist is not very friendly or helpful. 2. Requested Double bed got twin beds. 3. Beautiful flat screen TV but no working decoder. 4. Air Con was faulty and went on and off as it desired. 5. The shower flooded the bathroom. 6. Massive crack in the shower’s glass door. 7. Mini bar in the bathroom? (a bit unhygienic, don't you think?!) 8. No ketchup/tomato sauce for breakfast. 9. Massive (about the size of the palm of my hand) dead spider flattened on the wall behind the TV. 10. Huge hole in path leading to the pool. The only helpful staff member was the waiter. This is not my last trip to Namibia, I love the country and I recommend people and family to go but PLEASE avoid this establishment!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

A colleague and myself traveled to Windhoek from South Africa Feb 15th - 17th 2012 for business. I had booked our accommodation at Villa Verdi online via Leading Resorts of Africa (parent company). I had a confirmed booking for two rooms, however when we arrived the VERY unfriendly and VERY unhelpful receptionist admitted that an error had been made on their part as only one room was available. She then proceeded to check in a tour bus full of guests. When we asked to speak with the Manager she reluctantly called him. The manager did come, however he did not so much as greet us and ask if everything was all right. Instead he chatted to the tour operator and then left. The tour operator was kind enough to offer up his room to us. We ended up staying two nights and continued to have very, very poor service from both the restaurant staff and other hotel staff. It is far and away the worst service I have had through all of my extensive travels throughout Southern Africa. The guest house is also located in a very poor location - right next to the Technical University. The street outside is constantly full of noisy taxis honking and blocking the street. The final cherry on the cake was the 36 Rand the receptionist wanted to charge my colleague for the half can of soda water he had from his mini-bar!! Outrageous! AVOID THIS GUEST HOUSE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Room Tip: Avoid this guest house if possible is the best tip I can offer
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
WorksopUK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed one night each at the beginning and end of our trip to Namibia. The first room was large and generally met our requirements. The second, however, most definitely did not. No working TV, a cracked sink and decorations well overdue for a refurb. Breakfasts were really good, no dinner available but were recommended a nearby restaurant - NICE- which was fabulous though pricey. Hotel staff were helpful with taxis and table bookings. Hotel has a lovely pool with outdoor sitting area which we took advantage area to avoid sitting in our poor room!! Could be so much better.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bernalillo, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was our first night in Wyndhoek before starting our tour of Namibia. Our room was very large, clean, with a lovely bathroom. We had dinner at the Hotel as well as breakfast. I think the breakfast was better than dinner but it was lovely eating out on the patio. The service was quite good and the wait staff very helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Hello,

We would changed our reservation if it was possible.
Due to all the negative comments on tripadvisor, we allready paid so no expertaitions.
It was a big suprise!
New personal and so friendly and such a big and brand new room, great!
The breakfast was one of the best of our 23 day trip Namibie!!
We paid 50 euro!!
I will recommend everybody this very friendly place!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Verdi Guesthouse? Share your experiences!