“terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Furstenhof

You added Protea Hotel Furstenhof to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Furstenhof
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Frans Indongo Street | corner of Mandume Ndefayo Avenue, Windhoek, Namibia   |
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
“terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed here for one night . When we checked in the receptionist was disinterested , her and the man on the door just looked at us as we struggled with our bags to our room. Room was OK although the bed and linen left a lot to be desired. Air conditioning unit was not working. Room was clean though. The next morning we asked the new receptionist where the information centre was. She didn't know. we looked it up on the map then asked her what time it would open. She said 9am. We went there and the information centre is CLOSED ALL DAY SUNDAY. We then went back to the hotel and told them this and they tried to argue with us that it was open. Breakfast was chaotic. We asked for scrambled eggs. They bought one poached egg, we explained we had ordered 2 scrambled eggs. They then came back with one portion of scrambled eggs which was cold. We waited then for the 2nd portion to arrive. We have stayed at Protea hotels in South Africa and they have been clean, efficient and good value for money. Would definitely NOT
recommend this one

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bloubergstrand, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Upon arrival I was welcomed with an abrubt YES as response to my Good Afternoon. Then "you are too early!" even though I phoned the previous day to ask what time I can check in and was told anytime from 11h00. I only arrived at 12h00.

No directions to my room or assistance offered with my baggage by reception. No porters in site. Found my room finally only to open up with the key card to find a stranger in there already accopying the room.

New room given had window overlooking where staff socialised as I could hear them talking loudly tll late and next morning woken up with their noice as well.

No hot water for shower or bath the first evening and next morning. That was sorted during the course of the day.

Body covered in insect bites (not mosquitos!) after first night and even more after the 2nd night. Room definitely needs to be fumigates. Maybe entire hotel.

Towels smell of strong jik or some bleach. Not pleasant to use.

Toilets don't flush properly, room as well as the toilets close to Khomas 4 conference room.

And then the final straw - both my work and personal mobile phones were stolen out of my handbag underneath a table in conference room Khomas 4. This happened in the hour we were all outside for speaches at end of conference. No assistance from the manager offered to e.g. reort to police, block SIMS etc.

Apologies to the few very lovely hotel staff e.g. Aina and Jesaja. If not for them I would have checked out the first morning.

This experience was very dissapointing and not what is expected from a Protea Hotel.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room! Rather stay at the Hilton or Belverdere Boutique Hotel in Windhoek
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Anyone who does business knows it's critical to have internet included at their hotel. They advertise that they have free internet - it's false advertisement. They provide a minuscule amount of free data - gone within a half hour - and then charge ruthlessly for any additional. Not worth it for business. Front desk service is also quite slow, although restaurant servers remarkably charming

• Stayed April 2014
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Being lucky enough to have stayed in various Protea Hotels this was by far the worst experience yet. From checking in where my original room did not have a key to breakfast in the morning where the apple juice had some type of slime in it and the sausages raw - even after asking them to correct it on two occasions with the scrambled eggs this morning being blue and no coffee for breakfast. On top of all of this the free wireless is non-existent as it doesn't connect and runs "out of data" within a few minutes. They indicated they do not know what the problem is and currently I am sitting with my 6th or 7th username and also just decided to purchase data instead of running up and down to reception - which is unacceptable. The swimming pool by the spa also looks more like a koi pond as it is green in colour and dirty. Another point I want to raise, coming from South Africa, we booked the hotel at a rate of +-N$ 1500 and upon our arrival it was advertised for N$ 995 per room. I truly hope the Protea Hotel comes to inspect and see for themselves as this is totally not aligned with their brand as a whole.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tel Aviv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

stayed for 6 nights in July. Staff were very friendly and helpful - I arrived early in the morning and they allowed me to use a shower without checking in so that I could go to my meetings that day. I checked in later and was given a choice of rooms.
Internet (WiFi) was ok - bit slow and it dropped a few times while I was there.
The pool is maybe 10 foot long - not worth getting wet for. But next to the pool is YouNique Day Spa where Fadiah gives a superb massage. Do not miss this!
The hotel is next to a main road and coud benefit from double glazing. However the noise was not excessive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sunset Beach, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed here for 4 nights. Really enjoyed the stay. Room comfortable, staff are very friendly. Nice bar and restaurant area. As I am vegetarian , the chef was happy to make special meals for me. The food was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight. Very nice room...spacious with lots of place to put our stuff! Lovely bathroom seperate from room with bath and shower. Crisp white linen and comfy beds. Staff very pleasant and efficient.
Breakfast was not great...mostly all gone by 8am, therefore nothing to really eat.
Biggest downfall is the main road as it is noisy, but still managed a good nights rest.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Protea Hotel Furstenhof? Share your experiences!