“safe and friendly place with lots of potential” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pension Handke

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windhoek
Hotel Pension Handke
You added Hotel Pension Handke to your Saves list
3 Rossini St., Windhoek, Namibia   |
Ranked #56 of 73 Windhoek B&B and Inns
Moreno Valley, California
“safe and friendly place with lots of potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Pension Handke several times in the past, before reservations were made online. I wrote a letter to the owner and asked for a room for my son and myself and she wrote back, from Windhuk to Colorado Springs. That was more than kind. The rooms are small, but clean and neat. The towels were air-dryed without any fabric softener, and hard and stiff as boards. I am sure that is better now. The location is quiet, the garden is lovely with a voliere full of beautiful birds. When I checked in a bit after lunch, tired from traveling for 2 days, the owner served me a lovely tray with coffee at 4 p.m. The pension only included breakfast, so this was a free and friendly treat which I very much appreciated. The first time my 6 year old son and I needed to take the train to Mariental to see our family. The owner sent Markus with us to the train staion to help with our suitcase. It was so much kinder than telling me to take a taxi. I remember a kind boxer dog called Bella in the breakfast room. The Broetchen for breakfast were day old and hard and heated up in the oven to give them an appearance of being warm and fresh. I have never received old bread anywhere else in Windhuk. I recall an Italian family who was at the pension , they had a camping van and were headed to Etosha and asked if they could fill two jugs of about 5 gallons each with drinking water. The owner made them pay for the tap water. I am sure, these stingy incidences will not occur any more. I would return to Pension Handke for the location and the family atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

I spent two nights there passing through Windhoek. I had stayed elsewhere in town but was not happy there so moved to Handke and was very happy. It is quiet, safe, and clean. The managers were very friendly and helpful. I am not German but loved the hospitality of my hosts. Excellent location to walk to the main tourist and shopping area. A great value when you consider cost, location, noise, and safety. The breakfast choices were extensive, and I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the detail that the hosts took with table setting, etc... Had dinner with them twice and in addition to great meals at a good price, they were just nice people to talk to. The friendly dog and internet service is a nice touch too.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Hotel Pension Handke? Share your experiences!