“new hotel in town” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
london
“new hotel in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

it was the last night we stayed here before we flew home from our namibia trip. Very nice hotel and new hotel, very modern. Excellent location in the city centre of Windhoek - close to restaurants, mall, bars and main tourist attraction. it is safe to walk everywhere. the skybar and pool on the 9th floor are great and it is wonderful to relax up there. the service at the sky bar needs improving though - unfriendly and slow. there is also a very good fitness centre and a small spa. The restaurant and bar on the mezzanine are great - food is very good and service friendly and prompt. especially the terrace on the sports bar is great to lounge and relax. the breakfast was outstanding and what you expect from a Hilton Hotel. there is a underground car park, too.
you need to pay for WIFI which we found odd, but it was in most hotels or lodges in namibia.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 9, 2014

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

Thank you for the positive comments about our hotel and our team members.

We have noted your comment about the Sky Bar and we will make every effort to improve on our service.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

very average i expected a lot more from the Hilton Hotel group as a Brand , i was not collected from the airport as pre arranged and my bar fridge had a half drunk cold drink in it and was not stock when paying a premium price i expect to receive this service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 9, 2014

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

My sincere apologies for the issues you have experienced during your recent stay with us. I have shared this with our team and we will follow up why you were not picked up with our provider and on the mini bar.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip to Windhoek, Namibia. This is a brand-new modern hotel in a great central downtown location. I stayed up on the Club Floor, and had access to the typical Hilton Lounge for nightly snacks and drinks. Rooms were large, modern and spacious,and the food at breakfast was hearty with a large variety. There are several restaurants in the hotel, plus room services also offers a great variety, I used both options.
The Hotel offers underground secure parking if you have a car rental. Its locations in downtown allows for easy access to all parts of the city, and is very well serviced by both taxis and buses. The Views of the entire city are amazing from the Club lounge as this is a tall Building on the side of a hill as compared to the rest of the downtown city center, and even better views of the entire region can be seen from the upper deck infinity Pool and sky-top Bar. The staff was very friendly and always willing and able to assist.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to stay up on Club Floor , as free WiFi free car part nightly snacks and drinks and vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 6, 2014

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

We are pleased to see your positive comments about the hotel and our team members.

We look forward welcoming you back to the Hilton Windhoek.

Kind regards

Novi Sad, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very nice hotel, friendly and helpfull staff, excellent location in the centre of Windhoek - close to main city sites to be visited, incl. shopping malls, restaurants, etc. Hotel needs to improve some services in order to achieve excellent rates.

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are pleased to see your positive comments of the hotel.

We will work and improve on our services continously.

Namibia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Service at Skybar was almost non-existent and that on Christmas day. Don't trust the lifts - we got stuck for a few minutes. Breakfast was very mediocre. No warm fish. Coffee service very bad. Apart from that , the rooms are lovely and clean and the staff are friendly at least. You have to pay for Wi-Fi. Situated in the centre of town.

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 4, 2014

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

My apologies for the issues you have had during your recent stay. I will follow up with the head of departments to improve on our services and product.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed a total of 5 nights on 3 separate occasions, during a 3-week visit to Namibia in Dec., 2013. My company does a fair bit of business w. Hilton in the U.S. and Canada, so I'm a Hilton Honors member. I stayed at the Hilton Windhoek using a combination points and payment.
From my perspective, the Hilton Windhoek proved to be a solid, comfortable base from which to explore the country in 3 different directions. It was nice, for example, after spending several nights at the Sesrium campsite on the edge of the Namib Desert, at a campsite w/out water for the better part of 2 days (a water pump broke prior to New Year's Eve, shutting off water to the entire campsite) to have a hot shower and be able to wash the grit out.
The Hilton Windhoek caters to a mix of tourists, many from Europe or S.Africa, and Namibian and other businesspersons from across Africa. It's clean, pleasant, modern-looking with a really stylish interior and exterior design, and well-maintained. It's Africa — to expect the standards of the Beverly Hilton (which I'm familiar with) is somewhat misguided.
The positives: The rooms are well-designed, with a large double bed, African and European power plugs (a nice touch: those Namibian and South African 3-prong plugs are ludicrous, and even a lot of "all-country" power adaptors, with plugs for about 7 different continents, don't accommodate the bizarre S.African plug). I stayed in 3 different rooms; all were pleasant, comfortable and clean.
I mainlined coffee in the Centrum bar — the only decent cup of coffee, for my taste, I found anywhere in Namibia. Some of the coffee, especially on safari, was so awful I was reduced to drinking tea, because at least pre-fab tea bags can be depended on. The Centrum coffee is quite good: It takes a while, but they brew the cup while you wait. I ordered a hamburger with a friend (she ordered chicken wrap) and, surprise, it was really quite good,much better than you would expect from a lobby-level coffee shop. The Centrum has indoor and outdoor seating on plush chairs, couches and proper tables.
Check-in — I don't normally name names, but I will here: Emmarendia — could not have been more warm and welcoming. Dealing with employees is the luck of the draw; when you come across someone as forthright and helpful as Emmarendia, you know they won't be fronting a reception desk for long: They're management material, and it'll only be a matter of time before they move up. The next person may not be so on the ball.
I've gone into detail because some of the reviews on this site — perfectly valid, I imagine — have complained about the service. I can only speak for myself and my own visit, but I found the service to be impeccable. As I visited on 3 separate occasions, that must count for something.
An example: My first night, my shower flooded (a combination of a design flaw and a blocked drain). Hotel maintenance repaired the drain less than an hour after I reported it (trust me, you wouldn't get that kind of service in California, and I know) and housekeeping seemed brisk and efficient,. Some staff are friendlier than others, but Emmarendia and a couple of the converges I dealt with were above & beyond the call.
To sum: I couldn't have asked for more. I was looking for a clean, comfortable "base" from which to rest and freshen up after some gnarly excursions into the back country, and that's exactly what I got. I won't hesitate to stay here on future layovers in Windhoek.
The hotel itself is centrally located, by the way, across the street from a grocery store and chicken takeout, down the street from the Kalahari Sands mall and about a 3-block walk away from a 24-hour KFC (useful when it's a holiday or Saturday, and everything else is closed). The KFC seems especially popular w. locals — always a good sign. (North Americans note: The chicken pieces are much bigger than the ratty, expensive, over-priced portions we're used to back home: Namibian fried chicken, even KFC, puts North American fast food to shame. And it's less expensive, too.)
A caveat for those who don't like street noise: I did find the street noise to be quieter on the rooms on the right side of the hotel; rooms on the left side of the hotel can be a bit noisy, especially at night, when sometimes it sounds as if some drivers are drag-racing. Didn't bother me much — I use ear plugs, when in doubt — but it may bother some.
In all, a pleasant place to stay that I did not expect from southern Africa, at least outside South Africa. In my view, as a Hilton Honors member, certainly a credit to the Hilton name. My only fear would be if Hilton walks away one day — it happens in the hotel business — leaving some other chain to take over. For now, for me, it's perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right side of the hotel (as you exit the elevators) overlooking the main drag and Kalah...
Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your feedback of your stays with us in December.

We are very pleased to see the positive comments about our team members, service and our coffee.

I will convey your comments to Emmarendia and we will recognize her.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

What a great way to start the holiday. We arrived after a 10 hour journey to the newest hotel in Windhoek. Check in was easy- always a good start. I like the fresh minimalistic look of the hotel.

The room was great and the beds super comfortable. My only complaint would be the bathrooms. I am not all for this open door concept. The tub was great and large but no where to put the soap or shampoo.

Lived the rooftop bar. Looking forward to a night at the Hilton before we leave.

Breakfast was super nice.

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are pleased to see you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I understand your comment about the bathroom. This is something I will look into.

We look forward welcoming you back for your next visit.

Asante sana

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Windhoek? Share your experiences!