“Pathetic Room Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Pathetic Room Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The room service was absolutely terrible at this hotel. I had to leave my room, get into my car and buy food at a garage because room service did not return 2 of the calls I made. Another warning that prospective guests should be aware of is a letter they leave in front of your door when you're still a guest of the hotel asking you to pay an outstanding amount if it exceeds 4000 Namibian Dollars. I was absolutely offended by this because they're insinuating that I would not be able to make the payment

Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is indeed with great concern to read that our room service did not meet your request during your recent stay with us. Most certainly not as per our brand standard, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced due to the fact that our team did not meet your requests. I have followed with the Operations team in order for us to ensure that we do not repeat this type of a service to any of our guest. Please feel free to contact me should you need any assistance upon your future returns to Hilton Windhoek.

Teun Engbers - Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The overall experience was great with exception of the bar in which the beers were hot and no stock of one of the most drank brads of beer. I would stay there again as it is good value for money. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Dear Guest

I have recently reviewed your on-line feedback on our tripadvisor page, my sincere apologies on behalf of our service team for the inconvenience you experienced. We appreciate your feedback and continuously make use of our guest feedback to improve on our services to ensure that we fully meet your expectations upon your future returns to our property.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon to Hilton Windhoek.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Room was very good, bed comfy, bathroom great. Apart from that, hotel service/reception was shocking. Mini bar, despite many requests, was rarely filled, and never filled on arrival. When asking the reception to arrange this they never did it, even with repeated requests. A shame because the room apart from that was good, but the service is appaling.

Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive feedback, pleased to note that we met your expectations on areas as mentioned in your feedback. My apologies for the fact that our Operations did not meet your requests, most certainly not the type of service to be offered to our guest. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance upon your future visits to our hotel.

Kind regards,
Teun Engbers - Director of Operations.
Ellisras, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Great Hotel but having problem with the staff cancelling security deposit on my CC, one week later they are still ignoring my e mails. Rooms are clean and linen in very good condition, overall appearance is great. Location of hotel is also very good. Not happy with the hotel's driver that took me to the airport, sending numerous text messages while driving is just idiotic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad to hear that we met your expectations regarding the room amenities and layout. Our apologies for the fact that our teams do not respond back to you regarding your Credit Card, kindly forward me more details to teun.engbers@hilton.com in order for us to follow up with the relevant people and resolve the matter at hand.

Looking forward to your feedback, thank you once again for sharing your experience on our tripadvisor page.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

By accident we went into the lobby and asked if we are allowed to go up to the skybar at the Hilton. Suprisingly, it was allowed and didn't cost anything either.

So don't miss the possibility to watch the sunset over Windhoek while enjoying a good drink (prices were to my astonishment not too bad - 23N$ for a coke).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for posting your feedback on our tripadvisor page, pleased to note that you enjoyed the spetacular views of Windhoek from our Sky bar. Looking forward to Welcome you back soon to our hotel again and that you will be able to experience all our other services available at our hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I recently spent a week at the Hilton in Windhoek for business. The hotel was incredibly comfortable for the business traveler: amazing bed with sleek sheets and quality bedding, great blackout curtains, strong air conditioning that never faltered (amazing for such a hot place!), reliable wifi, and a gorgeous bathroom. The bathtub was perfectly sized for soaking and the shower was powerful. Even the hair dryer in the room blew me away - the mamba has to be the best in-room hair dryer EVER.

Praise should also be heaped upon the dining options in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was incredibly delicious. I loved the variety of foods, especially the fresh smoothies and juices (omg, orange and pineapple!). Specialty coffees can be ordered (cappuccinos, lattes, etc). and there is a variety of tea available, although I must say that the filter coffee was delish. The yogurt and fruits (both fresh and dry) rounded out a delightful breakfast each morning.

My colleague and I decided to dine in one night (we walked to Sardinia around the corner every other night, but it is closed on Tuesdays) and were delightfully surprised at the healthy menu offerings in the main restaurant. I enjoyed a grilled chicken breast (on the bone!) with fresh grilled veggies and peri-peri sauce. Also of note was the amazing wine list, which featured several South African winners. I adore SA wine so was pleased that we had so many great options to choose from (yay, Kleine Zalze!). Service was an absolute delight that night and we truly enjoyed our dining experience there, which is saying a lot for a hotel!

I also took advantage of the spa on my first night there, having critically injured my pedicure by having a bag dropped on my feet at the Namibian airport. I scored an appointment in the spa for that same day; the mani/pedi I ordered took 2 delicious hours of relaxing time. And the mani/pedi looked fab! Prices were definitely ex pat prices, but the convenience made it worth it - plus I was so relaxed, I actually fell asleep during the service!

Speaking of the spa, the rooftop bar is quite lovely and a relaxing spot. I must note that the lap pool is a lot smaller than I expected and is right in the middle of the roof, so be aware that if you want to swim to work out, anyone in the bar area will be watching you.

Checkout was a BREEZE! My bill was 100% correct and it was no problem at all to divide out lodging costs from personal costs. Great job Hilton!

So, what could possibly have caused a variable service comment? Here we go....

On our very first night, the power in my colleague's room went out around 9:00pm, just as she was heading to bed. She called and found out it was only out in her room and that someone would take care of it. 2 hours later - sitting in the dark in her room - she essentially had to wrangle someone to get them to come up and resolve the power issue. Note - she hadn't plugged anything so she hadn't tripped a breaker, yet the folks she spoke to made her feel at fault and that they shouldn't help her. Super duper weird and made for a rough start to her week.

I needed to exchange money one day so went to the front desk to change it out. I was told no money had arrived; come back at 7:00. I came back at 7:00 and was told no, the money hadn't arrived, check back. I called down at 8:00 and got a curt reply that no money had come yet. I called back at 9:00 and was firmly told that no, no money was coming, they only accepted credit cards and didn't keep cash on hand, and no, they couldn't even change $20 (that's all I wanted to change out), all while being very huffy on the line. Just very rude, and not the customer service I expect from a HIlton.

We also had a surly waitress every morning at breakfast. We'd see her smile at other patrons, but to us, we got snarls. It actually got comical to see her face change when she would happily look at someone else, and then look at us and frown. I never quite understood why she was so rude to us, but she definitely was. Boohoo.

Making a spa appointment was confusing - I got told the line was busy and that someone would call me... but after an hour, nothing. So I called directly and got a booking. Just no follow-up one would expect from a hotel of this caliber.

Other small things: water bottles were in the room on day 1, but never replaced. I got stuck on the elevator one morning and rode all the way up when I needed to go down, and then stopped at several floors on the way. The shape of the sink makes water splash out everywhere, so although the look is aesthetically pleasing, it isn't very functional.

All in all, I would recommend staying here for the central location, comfortable rooms, and delicious healthy food. Just be aware that you won't always get service with a smile....

Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the positive feedback as well as the concerns raised, we value each and everyone of our guest feedback as it assist us in our future growth and development. My sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on the areas stated, please feel free to contact me directly should you need any assistance upon your future returns to our hotel.

Trust that we will welcome you back very soon to our hotel or to any of our sister brand hotels worldwide.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I spent one night at the Hilton in Windhoek, a new property centrally located, with great terrace bar and spa. The rooms are elegant but there is no separation between the bedroom and bathroom. You have to pay for wifi and breakfast separately. The front desk staff is not terribly friendly. For what you pay, you don't really feel all that welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the great feedback, our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance in the future.Trust that we will welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Teun Engbers - Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Windhoek? Share your experiences!