“Much Potential” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Maun
“Much Potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I am torn between a 5 star and 3 star review. I guess, I could have went with a 4 star but one particular incident (which turned out okay) could have been a mess. The Windhoek Hilton is very cool; modern and not tacky. The lobby is bright with lots of clever little touches and well staffed.

Well staffed, as in plenty of people to help you out. All the staff were quite friendly and seemed to know what their own jobs were - general things and requests outside their own description seems to bring a little confusion though. I don't mean, requesting the elevator guy to give you a pedicure, but asking the person who clears the dishes for coffee was ineffective. That said, I find that happens quite a bit in Africa. (I'm a Canadian/American living in Botswana)

The rooms were great. Large, inviting, and CLEAN! For me, "clean" is the most important hotel adjective, and our rooms were spotless. Open concept with a separate toilet area, plenty of water pressure, big towels, and lots of amenities in case you forgot something. (razors, shaving cream, toothbrush, shoe mitt, etc. . . . My wife thought the lotion was pleasant smelling for what it's worth.

Food was good in the restaurant and our caipirinhia at the roof-top pool bar was perfect. (We have had some really bad drinks in Africa so this was a welcome treat.)

Okay, so why the 3 star review? Well, for starters, check-in was ridiculous. It was not busy at all yet took forever. Our reservation had been canceled for starters, and no one could explain why. I asked if they had rooms available, which they did, so I told them "no big deal" let's just check into some rooms they had available. There was lots of running around, and discussion, and running around, etc. . . After 15 minutes we were offered a seat and a drink which we declined and waited another ~10 minutes before finally receiving our rooms. I still am not sure what was happening. Just put your guests in a room, and figure out any problems you might be having afterward. (we had just driven up from Swakop and wanted to settle in and grab some lunch.)

Lunch was good enough, and guests ate for 130 bucks/buffet. We live in reasonably rural Bots and wanted to hit a mall, so down to get the car. They had parked it for me at check-in and handed me a ticket. We had no idea where it was though (I thought they were valet parking for me) They pointed out where the garage elevator was and down we go to the upper garage. Apparently, the upper garage is more love-nest than garage, as it was empty except for 2 amorous couples who appeared to be returning from a rendezvous - glad we weren't a couple minutes earlier. They directed us to the Lower Garage where we found our car. (the seats were not reclined so I took that as a good sign) The ticket we received would not let us out though the gate though. Time elapsed, add more money or something. We backed up and found someone to release us back into the wilds of Windhoek, and were off.

Okay, the biggest problem was on our check-out day. We were traveling with my parents who are pretty well-traveled - and I should add that they liked the hotel on the whole, and they're used to the Ritz/Mombo/and other 5 star fare. We kept having staff visit us before checking out. I think the housekeepers stopped by around 9:00AM - whatever, we told them we'd be checking out at 11:00AM. (Check out is noon) Then someone came by who wanted to check out mini-bar. Dude, leave us alone, come count when we're gone. It was the non-staff visitor that was disturbing. My parents were hanging out in their room and some dude in a military uniform just walks in. He was pulling a suitcase, so I assume he was trying to check into his room - but this should not happen. Things happen in hotel rooms that should not be disturbed - not in my parents' room I hope, but in other rooms. Or who knows, what if nobody was there and the entrant was a thief? What if my wife was alone and the person was unsavory? She might kick his a@@, but. . . I hope this is a rare event.

I realize that this could happen anywhere, but it should not. The staff appeared to be earnest and trying - they were friendly, but it seems like they need a layer of training on becoming capable on general help outside their exact job description. (I didn't mention the hot coffee at breakfast we requested didn't come until we were finishing up our breakfast - that was a long 3 minutes!) Great hotel, friendly staff, a little too rough around the edges (staff doesn't really seem to understand what a typical guest is looking for - assuming I know what a typical guest is looking for) - and they need to seriously work on their check-in/check-out procedures.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Austin00,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback about the property. I was glad to learn that you enjoyed the friendliness of the team as well as had a spotless CLEAN room. I am glad to inform you that we have just recently split away our Trainingsfunction and have now an increased manning in our Trainingsdepartment so to ensure we can further train on the areas you mentioned, which I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. If your time allows would appreciate if you could also contact me via Roman.Kopacek@hilton.com for some additional information which I would like to gather if not too much trouble. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards

Yours sincerely,

Roman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Mijas, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Booked a very last-minute trip when my husband was granted some unexpected days off work.
Arranged transfer from the airport through the hotel which was punctual and comfortable.
We had a room in the "tower" part of the hotel. Very spacious, clean and modern with a superb king-size bed and nice sitting area with comfy chairs and a table. More than adequate wardrobe and drawer space.
Loved the bathroom with it's "rain" shower. We chose not to make use of the huge bathtub ( trying to be "green" and conserve water ) but it was tempting!
The breakfast buffet was among the best I have sampled anywhere. Good selection of hot and cold food and most importantly, really good coffee, a rarity in many hotels imo. Dinner was good value for money also (with a bread and butter pudding to die for!)
Everywhere appeared clean and well maintained. Service was always with a smile and help readily and willingly given if required.
Well done Hilton Windhoek......can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Cookspain,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which I have shared with my team. It is such comments and yours which make the hard efforts of a young team truely rewarding and worthwile. Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

With kind regards

Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

i stayed down there for a week. rooms are excellent. the kalabar bar is peaceful and nice. the roof top bar and view is excellent. but i was disappointed with quality of the food.. the choices and quality wasnt upto par. took too long for checkout. apart from that i would go back. hope they improve the food area.

Stayed April 2012
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a very good experience to stay in this hotel. Its standard room is really wonderful. It has a nice location in the downtown. A nice scenary from the room & another very special scenary on top of the hotel with the swimming pool & fitness center on the same floor. Professional service, good food & very suitable for business.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Rimoo,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which I have shared with my team. In case you are a shisha smoker hope you have tried them out availabel in our Kalabar and Skybar.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

4 of us stayed here at the start of our weekend for 1 night only , from check in to check out, we were impressed with the service, the staff and the rooms. The rooms are large and really modern, everything is new and works brilliantly, the bathroom is large i loved it. This hotel has been designed for long or short stays, for businessmen or people travelling on Holiday. It has 2 restuarants one incorporates the bar on the roof top, with lovely nighttime views of Windhoek under lights. Seems like a place for locals to visit too, i had a lovely vibe.
It's close to restuarants, and shops, and offers parking as well.
Overrall we had a fantastic stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again should I return to Windhoek.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Ms. McGowan,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which I have taken the liberty to share with my team. Believe me it is comments such yours which makes our efforts truely worthwile.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Week-long business trip flew by with the comfort experienced at this hotel. Centrally located with a few of the city. Large selection in the restaurant. I found the hotel to be expensive and quite busy. Check-out took very long.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear An3G,

Thank you very much for your kind comments, I am glad to see that in general you enjoyed your stay. Feel free to contact myself for future in regards to any special rates available via Roman.Kopacek@hilton.com. I am also glad to share with you that we have just split our HR and Trainings function so to have even an increased force towards Training and Development of our team such as the FO team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards

Nurnberg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel is tasteless and very strange. You don't at all feel that you're in Africa.
Standard, tasteless, ugly. Service is so-so, I would even say a bit disappointing.
We spent a Saturday at the Country club, and we wished we had been staying there.
The building of this Hilton property stands out, it visibly spoils the city. It is very very ugly, I will say this five times more, ugly.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear LaP,

Thank you very much for your comments. Guess it always depends on taste and different cultures in regards to the building itself, which has won various awards in Europe and Africa in the last 10 months, but certainly appreciate and accept your comments.

In regards to Training I am glad to inform you that we have dedicated a fully fletched Trainings Manager to iron out service challenges which unfortunately on some occassion do occurr.

With kind regards and hope you will give us another opprotunity on your next visit.

Roman

Been to Hilton Windhoek? Share your experiences!