“Incapable of handling large group” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 82 Restaurants in Windhoek
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: predominantly, but not exclusively fish
Edmonton, Canada
“Incapable of handling large group”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were a group of 18 people and the staff there were incapable to handle large groups. Long story short, It took 2 hours for the food to come out after we ordered. When the food came out, they had no idea who ordered what. When they called out the names of the dishes they just said the name of the meats but since they make certain meats in different style some of us ended up getting wrong dishes. Two of us who sat beside each other ordered the exact same thing (kingklip with potatoes) but one of them got a dish with just the kingklip and no potatoes. So then we told them that it was missing potatoes and they had to bring the dish back into the kitchen again- and wait even longer for the food.
We all ate quickly because it got really late and we were all very tired by the time everyone got food. We took the bill and it was wrong as they have charged us the wrong drinks- so they had to redo the bill again.

Food wise they do have a large selection on the menu but they are not authentic Portuguese. Meats and fish tend to be over cooked and overly salted. Price of the food seem to be above average. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Windhoek, Namibia
“Good place for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The restaurant was close to my office so I went often for lunch. I'd eaten there one evening and wasn't that impressed but a collague took me there for lunch and I tried the game (springbok or kudu) and it was excellent. After that I went back many more times and always found the food to be great. Necessary to make a reservation on any evening as per most restaurants in Windhoek.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nairobi, Kenya
“An average Lunch - a little dissapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have always enjoyed the odd meal at O'Portuga, mainly because of the cosmopolitan feel and the not usual crowd of locals that frequent the same place over and over again. Normally I have a traditional dish - their calamari and fish dishes are good, the chicken perri-perri is excellent.
However this time round I ordered the calamari tubes - not the normal small tubes - these are typical Portuguese style, so they are large and more like a "steak". I had eaten these before and last time round they were delicious, this time round they were tough and not great, they were accompanied with chips which were a little overdone and quite oily.
I just hope that this is not the sign of things to come and they start to regress into complacency.
To quote another contributor " remember to ask for the "Gindungo" - a fiery home-made chili condiment" it is fantastic, they should bottle it and sell it.
Next time I will revert to the chicken!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“What you would expect in Maputo and not Windhoek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Situated in Klein Windhoek, on the road coming in from the airport. A good old fashioned portuguese restaurant, with a good variety on the menu and an extensive and well stocked bar. Also more locals and less tourists, which always excites me. Even though I do not smoke, I prefer the smoking section when the flaps are up, for a great European feel.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Windhoek
“Always a pleasure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is the ideal venue to share with good friends. It always has a good vibe, and maybe not the place for a quiet romantic evening. The menu has a wide range of authentic Portuguese/Angolan dishes - a remember to ask for the "Gindungo" - a fiery home-made chili condiment. My personal favorite is the seafood rice or seafood pasta - but be warned, it comes in decent portion sizes. Another favorite is the tripe in a tomato sauce, or the spice chicken livers or gizzards. Beef or seafood espetadas are also good, and the selection of fresh prawns (ask the waitress to show the different sizes before ordering).

• Visited July 2013