“Literally a nice place, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NICE (Namibia Institute of Culinary Education)

NICE (Namibia Institute of Culinary Education)
2 Mozart St, Windhoek, Namibia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: the Namibian institute of culinary education (nice) is a restaurant and bar with a subtle sophisticated boutique atmosphere, modern yet stylish and comfortable. Besides being a commercial restaurant and functions venue, nice also serves as an active training ground for trainees honing their skills in the culinary arts and food & beverage service.
Helsinki, Finland
“Literally a nice place, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Very nice, even beautiful restaurant, good food. I liked the cosy atmosphere as well. Trainees managed quite well, too.

Visited November 2012
officemd, officemd at NICE (Namibia Institute of Culinary Education), responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for visiting nice, and thank you for your review. Our trainees will be pleased to know that they achieved your stamp of approval. We hope that you will visit us, when in Windhoek again.

Windhoek
“NICE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The food is well cooked but a little unexciting (I haven't tried the Sushi). Service varies from good to appalling depending on the number of guest.

Dear Guest
Three stars is not where we would like to be, and we obviously need to try harder. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your comments about your nice experience. We would be most grateful if you could provide additional details on areas needing improvement, but I will contact you directly through TA for the extra info on your visit/s. Please feel free to chat to any duty manager if you are not 100% satisfied, in the future. Our young team is keen to achieve excellence, consistently, and with you and like-minded guests we can improve on our areas needing development.
Otjiwarongo, Namibia
“the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

the way everything is set,managemen is very kind,you get for you payed for and the food is extraodinary

Visited December 2011
Windhoek, Namibia
“Disspointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

it was a bit dissapointing. NICE is also a training centre and having this in mind, the service should have been much better. the sushi bar can be recommended.

Visited July 2012
Dear Guest
We are always grateful to our guests for their reviews, whether praiseworthy or critical - you are the compass to direct our focus and efforts. I will contact your through TA, to ascertain as to which aspects of nice were disappointing. For all current and future guests reviewing our responses: we always have a duty manager available as well as a senior chef (if the head chef is off-duty), and these young professionals welcome guest feedback, and the opportunity to fix an unhappy experience immediately. So, please report any less than satisfactory service, attitude or dish to management, who will take the required action.
Paris, France
“So far my favourite restaurant in Windhoek!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to this restaurant already once a week for the last two months.I have to admit that I am a very picky about the quality of food in general but NICE is upto my standards. NICE is a very relaxed "posh" place where you can enter with your kids and dress casual. The tables are nicely done and you get a mix of crowd. Each time I went it was houseful. As for food, my main concern, I would give a 8 out of 10. The students chefs make a big effort and the "papadums" that are nicely made near the food counter look delicious. Once I asked a waitress if we could have one as an appetizer and it was perfect. It is a pity that NICE does not give these papadums as an appetizer, I am sure many guests will be happy with that. Our children have eaten pizza (very happily) and my vegetarian spouse is very happy with the ravioli with butternut etc. The meat was excellent (I once ate lamb, the second time prawns and the third time a seafood curry). All of them were very good. What NICE needs to improve is on the salad front. There are these beautiful salads growing in their own indoor garden, but the salad they provide with the menu are really not "outstanding". Once I got some lettuce for "NICE GARDEN SALAD" while the garden had all these tasty looking Beet leaves, Cale, Roquette etc. In Namibia it is difficult to train people to eat Salad but the chefs need to learn a bit more about creative salads. And that salad sauce ( a kind of vinegrette) is terrible. They just can not give a salad without vinegrette. The good news is that when I complained they brought me another salad with garden leaves free of charge (but still with that horrible vinegrette which I had forgotten to complain about). They should also improve on "fresh juices". What is called Fresh is actually from bottles, that is a real pity for a restaurant that has trainee chefs. The young trainees are nice, listen to you and when you complain take the point with grace. I have never had any problems with the staff. For me, it is a restaurant with a future, needs some improvements but certainly is the best in town.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your hearty vote of confidence. We're pleased that you are happy with nice, and this is always motivating for our team. Our Head Chef has noted your suggestions re papadums, the vinaigrette dressing and the need for a selection of salad leaves in the nice salad. You are welcome to ask for your dressing 'on the side' if a vinaigrette is not to your liking, or request a different dressing eg. creamy dressing or olive oil & balsamic vinegar. We appreciate your feedback, and hope that you will continue to keep us in check, through your future visits.