“Force to be reckoned with!” 5 of 5 stars

Polana Serena Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Julius Nyerere 1380, Maputo 00100, Mozambique   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Maputo
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
“Force to be reckoned with!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was a guest at the Polana Serena Hotel for a week, covering a business event and I warmly recommend the hotel as one of the best five star hotels in Mozambique! Aside of the amazing venue of the hotel and its facilities, the service was impeccable! There was always someone next to me to make sure that my stay is as enjoyable as possible. The kindness and positive energy of the staff just raised the bar even higher...I am grateful to have met such wonderful people that were there for me every step of the way and I am thankful for the special attention and treatment I got during my stay at the Polana Serena Hotel. I felt like a royalty!
This hotel set an example of how a five star hotel should treat their guests and I have no doubt that their services are a force to be reckoned with in Mozambique.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Miguel S, General Manager at Polana Serena Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear KetrinsD,

Thank you for choosing the Polana Serena Hotel and taking the time to write about our service and experience. We take every comment about our Hotel very seriously and whether positive or negative we always aim to improve.

We are very happy to know you had a very good experience at Polana Serena Hotel.Thank you for your words about our Team attitude .I will share your comment with all the Team, I am sure they will be happy to read your words.

Thank you once again for writing about your experience at the Hotel .

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Turku, Western Finland, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed in Polana Serena Hotel for a night in December. The hotel proved luxorious in a far more charming way than most five-star hotels that I've gotten to visit.
We were very happy with the breakfast and dinner. Lots of choices and the staff was fun and caring.
Most of all, the atmosphere was simply exceptional. In the evening, they were playing Out Of Africa on a large canvas by the pool.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reetta M,

Sondrio, Lombardia, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I believe that the pictures talk for themselves: Murky pool water, ripped umbrellas ( also insufficient for the number of people present on a hot summers day) filthy flooring, dirty pool beds (some with bird droppings). A number of people complained but management was no where to be found. This is really disappointing for what is meant to be a five star hotel. A few weeks back on a sunday they where cutting the grass with a diesel run grass cutter blowing smoke over all the pool area. Maybe a few years ago this could have passed in Maputo, but with the growing choice of new hotel popping up all around town, the Polana really cannot afford to drop so low.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Miguel S, General Manager at Polana Serena Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Federica,

On behalf of all the Team I would like to apologize and explain the reason why.

We had a technical problem during a couple of days with the pump, that we just managed to solve Monday, to add we had severe weather with strong winds and heavy rain that destroyed what it was left from our umbrellas two days before. We expect the new umbrellas to be in place maximum 2 weeks.

We should have blocked the pool during the weekend, what we did 2 days after to do a shock treatment but due to high temperatures during the weekend we did not.

We are not happy for having provided the service like we did, and its not our standard .

Maputo, Mozambique
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I'm an airline crew. As part of my job, i'm deemed to traveling a lot and I've stayed in about just more than a handful hotels in Africa, Europe, Middle East and Far East. same hotels repeatedly, of all the hotels i have stayed in this one excelled in staffs displaying fine gesture displaying (very friendly ) and relentlessly delivering uniform quality in facilities, rooms and food. Nice swimming pool, beautiful garden and nice view to the Indian ocean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I did not know what to expect in Maputo. I heard about this hotel as the oldest and most respected. I was pleasantly surprised. The Portuguese architecture, the antiques, luxurious setting all gave me a wonderful sense of history. Very few hotels have this charm.

Service was a bit slow, as was the internet connection, but otherwise a good choice for a business trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ms. Sarah A,

We are very happy to know you had a very good experience at Polana Serena Hotel. I will share your comment with all the Team, I am sure they will be happy to read your words. We took notice about your comment on speed service and internet.

Cascais, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having spent more than a weekend in Maputo I landed at the Polana before heading to a more definitive place to stay and my impressions were...Great! From the arrival the nice attitude of the team in welcoming and smiling, to the well appointed room with a soft African soul despite the comfort and amenities. It has a great location overlooking the Indian Ocean with lots of outdoor gardened areas and a sun terrace around the pool that turned a must at the end of each day. The breakfast is full of all you may expect and the tips to have dinner out were always a good hit. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask a pool/sea view room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

It is well appointed right on one of the main avenues facing the sea with an absolutely clear view( save a construction crane marring it all). Looks and feels majestic and with ample colonial charm. The seafood buffet mixed with the breakfast spread is awesome. Spent a full 4 hours enjoying the restaurant.

Room Tip: Take the northeast rooms .. they have the best view and quitter as well.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Best regards

Been to Polana Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!