“Good hotel for business travellers” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Avenida
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Julius Nyerere, 627, Maputo 3236, Mozambique   |
Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Maputo
Maputo
“Good hotel for business travellers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Most of the things are positive in Hotel Avenida. Located in the central part of the city of Maputo, near commerce and services. It has a good breakfast, although sometimes the cook is unavailable and the employers are distracted with little service when costumers are waiting for expresso, eggs, toasts, or even napkins. It is a very clean hotel, with caring personnel. The book available in the rooms should be revised in order to explain the hotel services in Portuguese and English. During my stay, I could not access the internet service and the television did not have any sound. One other aspect that sould be considered is the rooms that are provided, in the check in, if there is any possibility personel sould ask whether the client prefers the front or back rooms, because when I was in the hotel for about a month I did not had that choice and stayed in the back while beneficiation works where taking place just on the other side of the window. Never the less I enjoyed my stay and the services provided, as well as the sympathy of all personnel.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Dear Sir

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, we thank you for your comment, because having the feedback is very important for the hotel.

We hope your visit again in the Avenida Hotel

Best Regards
Manager

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Nelspruit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

After submitting an email complaint to the Hotel General Manager directly and copied to Avenida Hotels info centre overseas, I am yet to receive a satifactory answer. Below is the email written on 30 November 2008 and the response received on 30 November and 2nd December respectively.

To date there has been no apology for their poor treatment.

Dear Mr. Rui Viegas,

I have never in over 20 years of travelling in Africa experienced such poor service and disrespect as I had at your hotel.

I have been to your hotel with two other guests, on no less than 4 occasions in the last two months. Our last visit to your hotel was on 23rd and 25th of November 2008. Our visit prior was on the 14th and 16th October 2008 respectively.

Both visits were arranged by my Client. My Client arranges many bookings into your hotel.

On checking in on the first occasion, we noticed other guests obtaining welcome drinks but nothing was offered to us. We further enquired regarding bill settlement as our client was supposed to have made the arrangement. Your reception showed us a letter from our Client that contained no reference to payment. We settled the bill for the 2 nights of the 14th and 16th.

Having experienced this mediocre service from your reception, we made a point with our Client to ensure there was no mix up again.

On visiting for the third time on 23rd, the following happened.

I checked in at 19h45 on 23rd. Your reception (a man I cannot remember his name) asked me for my passport. I said to him I have been to the hotel twice before in less than a month and should be in your system. (I know your system records names because once in Tivoli in Beira I was still on the system having been there a year prior). He then said I was not on the system and would have to give my passport. I said this is poor service for a 5 star establishment and then gave him my passport. I then asked him whether he had a letter from my Client as I wanted to check the payment arrangements. He said he did not have any letter and I would have to pay the bill myself. I said this was not correct and then he said to me no and started to argue with me. I then asked to see the duty manager and he did nothing until I eventually became angry and demanded to see the duty manager. He then phoned her (and I understand enough Portuguese to ascertain he was quite derogatory), was very loud on the phone, and afterwards said she was coming. Your reception made me wait for 15 minutes and then said to me she was busy and she said she would call me if I wanted to go out. Why did he not tell me this in the first instance. By this time I then asked to see you and he said you were out. I then asked him to give you and your duty manager a message that I required to talk with either of you.

Neither your duty manger or you have contacted me.

Eventually I had to contact my Client myself to contact your hotel to ensure the agreed arrangements were made. Needless to say this is a very poor service and is certainly not the behavior of so called 5 star establishments.

The following morning on checking out, all we had to do was sign the bill, so this means that our Client did make the arrangement. At the reception desk another guest from South Africa asked the reception if breakfast was ready as she had made an arrangement with the prior reception. It was 6h15 and your reception on duty said to her she must wait until 6h30 when the restaurant opens. Again observing this, it is very poor service. We then went to the restaurant at 6h30 and sat for breakfast. All the "hot food" was not hot but ice cold. This means your chef starting at 5am or whenever, does not utilise his Bain mare's effectively, hence cold food. This is certainly not 5 star service.

On returning to your hotel on the evening of 25th, we checked in, (again no welcome drinks), and a lady at reception asked to see our passports. I said we should be on the system and how many times do you want to see the same passport. Needless to say she said we are not on the system and she needs the passport. I eventually gave her mine and had to demand she copied it immediately so that I could go to my room. Again this is not the service of a 5 star hotel.

The following morning I checked out at approximately 6h10 and asked reception if I could get some coffee. After he noticeably looked at the clock on the wall he said to me to go to the dining room and see. Not very good service is it?

The only person in your hotel who was jolly and willing to help was your one kitchen staff (Domingos) on the morning of 26th. He went out of his way to get me a cup of coffee and even offered me the cold buffet even though the restaurant was not open.

In conclusion, the experience at your hotel has been appalling for a 5 star establishment and if this is the norm for treating guests I can only assume your establishment requires an enormous amount of re-training. In all matters your reception and staff, including your duty manager, should display a willingness to help guests. Your reception do not even bother to ask a guest whether they require assistance in arranging a taxi for them or whatever, or even offer some insight into Maputo.

For the price per room Avenida charges, the service is definitely not commensurate.

Reply on 30 November (automated computer reply)

Dear Sender,

Please be advised I'm out of the office on a business
For urgent matters please call my cell phone 00258 82 3015150
With best regards,

Reply on 2nd December

I would like to Thank you, about your communication, because is very useful to improve our services.

I will monitor the situation and give a response as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Rui Viegas

In conclusion one can only assume there is little regard for guest satisfaction from this group of Hotels.

• Liked — Room comfortable
  • Disliked — TV did not work
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

If you want somewhere central, clean and with standard modern amenities pick this hotel. Nothing remarkable, nothing hugely disappointing either. The reception desk isn't that helpful if you want to know about where to visit in Maputo, but otherwise everything is standard. If you have a choice, stay at the Polana!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

It’s conveniently situated in the city centre and the rooms are of a reasonable size and level of comfort. In common with a number of other hotels, however, they don’t always replace the amenities in the bathroom if they have been finished. The swimming pool, on the roof, is very small, with few facilities. The one restaurant has a limited menu and the staff are pretty off-hand. At breakfast no one seems to notice when things such as juice run out and getting a cup of coffee can be a challenge. The evening turn-down service is just that - no emptying of bins or changing of towels. The minibar is empty on arrival and when they fill it they can’t supply just soft drinks - it has to be the full set of outrageously priced spirits and a minimal selection of mixers (also heavily over-priced) and then they don’t replenish every day unless you ask them to. It is not the level of service one should be able to expect from a 5 star hotel.

[hotel website is at ---]

Stayed October 2006

Been to Hotel Avenida? Share your experiences!