“Good hotel, but staff could be more customer focused” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Avenida
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Julius Nyerere, 627, Maputo 3236, Mozambique   |
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Maputo
Washington, D.C.
“Good hotel, but staff could be more customer focused”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for about two months. Its location is convenient, with a number of good restaurants next door. Overall the hotel is clean and professionally managed. There was a water leak in the ceiling of the corridor outside my room the whole time I was there; I was a bit surprised they never fixed it. Instead they just put a bucket there to collect the water.

Since there are restaurants next doors, other than breakfast I only ate at the hotel once. I had a sandwich which was OK but overpriced. The breakfast buffet is great, but I noticed how the staff informed another guest that you are not allowed to take photos of the breakfast. Don't ask me why.

The gym is quite good for a hotel, with friendly staff who will volunteer as your personal trainer pending the number of guests. I never tried the swimming pool, but it is small so if you come to Maputo to swim you may consider staying at another hotel (e.g. Polana or Indy Village).

The roof top gives you a great view of Maputo; worth visiting even for non-hotel guests.

The staff at the reception are nice, but are not too service minded. First they asked me to pay for my whole hotel stay when checking in, which is quite unusual. I have no idea what would happen if I’d paid and then decide to move out prior to the reserved time. Anyway, since I was staying for such a long period of time they said a preauthorization would suffice (!)

After a first few weeks I was asked to pay for the days I had spent at the hotel. Fair enough. However, I asked to continuously pay for my stay in tranches since I was using a debit card with a purchase limit of $5,000 per day, meaning I would not be able to pay for the entire stay when checking out. But for some weird reason the reception staff always found an excuse not to process my payments. During my last week at the hotel I returned to the reception every day to pay – explaining my situation – but they always asked me to come back the next day (either the system was down, was being restarted, the manager was not there, etc.). So, of course, when checking out I could not pay. Luckily I had transferred money to another account, meaning I could use another debit card for half of the sum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It seems like I visit this hotel once a year. This is not the third year that I have visited the hotel and it is still very nice. The rooms are clean and well maintained. In the bathroom have individual water heaters so hot water is no issue. Breakfast is very well stocked and you will find fruit, cold meats, smoked salmon and the usual warm food (sausages, eggs, potatoes, bacon,..). Reception was friendly and helpful even though there was a problem with my booking that I made via hotels.com. But within 5 minutes that was sorted out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

When booking through the internet - beware!! The quoted price - although high - looks reasonable for a 5 star hotel. When payment is required, an additional $50.00 per day is added on for "taxes". Although classed as a 5 star hotel, there is no courtesy bus between the hotel and the airport. There is a shuttle bus which will cost you 660.00MT in each direction (A taxi will cost you 500.00MT). Furthermore, internet in the hotel is only free for a limited period. A 2 night stay allows for 8 hours of internet before payment is required.
Rooms are adequate and the restaurant/bar area is virtually deserted as the prices are extremely high and the hotel is right next door to Mundos which provides food, drink and sport on TV for a fraction of the prices being charged by The Avenida.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Luanda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The pros : central location downtown Maputo, nice and efficient staff for check in, good rooms, very large buffet for breakfast.

The cons : airport transfer not well coordinated, entrance in the hotel not easy when arriving by car due to the lack of space on the street, Internet a bit slow.

• Stayed April 2013
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great location. Hotel is very neat and tidy. Lobby is fantastic to relax and meet people. Staff is nice and helpful. Break fast is ok.
Good choice for business trips and stay... Centrally located in main avenue. Rooms are big enough, there is wi fi but very slow connection!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I often travel to Maputo for work. And have previous stayed at the Southern Sun. This trip I was convinecd by colleagues to stay at the Avenida because of its great location with close proximity to other restaurants and our offices.

I really, really regret this decision because of the horrible customer service:

1) My flight into Johannesburg was delayed and I missed my connection to Maputo. I immediately called the hotel to inform of this and when i arrived the next day they would not let me check-in to the hotel unless I payed for the night that I did not use! I had no other choice, given the scarcity of hotel rooms in Maputo and they were very rude about this request.

2) Despite advertising free wi-fi, it is not free! The wifi is both slow and expensive and you are only allowed to have one computer logged in at a time so it often would not allow me use my work laptop and my ipad or phone on the wifi. This software was very outdated and was not very user friendly despite the expense of the internet.

3) The breakfast was not included in my room rate. This maybe specific to the way our company haggles for room prices, but honestly the southern sun has nicer rooms, better service, free wifi and breakfast all for the same price.

The southern sun is more than worth the 5-10 minute longer commute.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lusaka, Lusaka, Zambia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here for a meeting and contrary to other rviewers found it a very good hotel.
My room was spacious and well equipped although I didn't get a sea view. The bathroom was clean and came complete with all amenities I could ever want- toothbrush, comb, shaving kit as well as all usuals!
The service was fast at receptions and room service was spot on.
Breakfast and lunch buffets were good- excellent papaya and pineapple, great custard tarts and salads.
The location is central for business but I think if I was here on holiday I would chose to stay on the coast however it is only a short walk from the hotel to the sea front but thats not what you may want on a holiday.
All in all a good stay! It is quite expensive but so if the whole of Maputo!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Avenida? Share your experiences!