The Southern Sun Maputo must have been a beautiful hotel some years ago but the infrastructure deteriorated over the years. Now, the interior is heavy and a bit sad. Nevertheless, being located on the beach is a plus, and the rooms while small and again a bit sad, are comfortable. I did not expect a high tech hotel and certainly I did not get one.
The beach outside the hotel is well kept but the general condition of the water with trash scattered everywhere is not inviting. Fortunately, the hotel has a nice pool.
The hotel staff is friendly but not very helpful. I tried to make contact with the concierge via email about taking a tour. I got no reply. The hotel actually has a tour desk. We tried to get assistance to find a tour but frankly the young woman who handles the desk did not seem to care.
The restaurant is inconsistent, depending on what you order. Fish, the entire 3 days I was there consisted of swordfish only. If you wanted a grilled fish, then it was swordfish. If you want fish and chips, which is also on the menu, then it was still swordfish. The actual fish was well overcooked and without any redeeming quality. Of the other hand, one night I had the best prawns I’ve had anywhere. Mozambique is famous for the prawns. They are good everywhere.
Take a coco tour of Maputo because it is enjoyable. A coco is a rickshaw-like vehicle produced in Cuba. The driver will show you the sights and give a brief history lesson. More important, you can spot places you might like to visit, like the artist markets.
Overall, I think the Southern Sun is one of the better hotels in Maputo. I would recommend it as a reasonably prices hotel that is clean and relatively safe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For the perfect combination of sun, sea and sand, the Southern Sun Maputo is spectacularly situated on the magnificent Mozambique coast. Conveniently located only 7km from the International Airport and 5 minutes from the city centre, the hotel offers you the most desirable destination for a tropical vacation along the shores of the Indian Ocean. The well appointed, comfortable and tastefully decorated guest rooms are all equipped with air conditioning, telephone with voice mail and wake-up facilities, wireless Internet, satellite TV, in-room safe and in-room tea and coffee. For your added convenience there is an in-house hairdressing salon and boutique. At the Southern Sun Maputo your time is your own. You may choose to relax on the pool terrace and enjoy the warm African sunshine, or you may prefer more adventurous options. If you feel like exploring, there are exciting city tours for taking in the exotic sights and sounds of Maputo. The city has a rich history and a fascinating mix of diverse cultures. By day or by night you will feel the energetic pulse of this enigmatic city beating to the vibrant rhythm of Africa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, TripOnline SA and South African Hotels so you can book your Southern Sun Maputo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Maputo Hotel Maputo
- Holiday Inn Maputo
- Southern Sun Hotel Maputo