Beautiful location, if you like sunrises on the beach. The lawn and pool are well-maintained, and the people are very friendly, even helpful. Lots of Americans.
Downside: I wouldn't let my kids swim in the ocean (there is a huge drainpipe, collecting God-knows-what and dumping it on the beach, to flow into the ocean, right at the hotel's property line) and I'd be careful about letting them play on the beach, because it is strewn with litter and garbage. Why the hotel doesn't send someone with a rake and garbage bag each morning is beyond me.
Rooms: ask for odd numbers (face the ocean) because the alternative is a view of the parking lot and street, neither of which are charming.
My first "non-smoking" room smelled of cigarettes, but the front desk graciously changed my room.
Room 247: thermostat apparently broken... When I got back from dinner the room was freezing. Opening the window (lovely warm air) invites bugs... And I couldn't get the air to blow heat at any setting... But too late, too tired to go through staying up to watch the inevitable desk staff come tap at the dials like I had, so I burrowed under the covers until my breath heated the confined air in the bed.
We paid $170/night, which is pretty reasonable.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Maputo Hotel
- Southern Sun Maputo Hotel Maputo
- Holiday Inn Maputo
- Southern Sun Hotel Maputo
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For the perfect combination of sun, sea and sand, the Southern Sun Maputo is spectacularly situated on the magnificent Mozambique coast. Conveniently located only 7km from the International Airport and 5 minutes from the city centre, the hotel offers you the most desirable destination for a tropical vacation along the shores of the Indian Ocean. The well appointed, comfortable and tastefully decorated guest rooms are all equipped with air conditioning, telephone with voice mail and wake-up facilities, wireless Internet, satellite TV, in-room safe and in-room tea and coffee. For your added convenience there is an in-house hairdressing salon and boutique. At the Southern Sun Maputo your time is your own. You may choose to relax on the pool terrace and enjoy the warm African sunshine, or you may prefer more adventurous options. If you feel like exploring, there are exciting city tours for taking in the exotic sights and sounds of Maputo. The city has a rich history and a fascinating mix of diverse cultures. By day or by night you will feel the energetic pulse of this enigmatic city beating to the vibrant rhythm of Africa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Southern Sun Maputo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.