“OK” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Activities in Maputo
Secunda, South Africa
“OK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The streets a too small some of the place we saw, the fish market, Train station, Polana hotel, Samora Square Centre, flea market we bought lots of nice staff the beach is terrible

Visited April 2013

“Overall good tour... but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We took the morning Mozambique City Tour offered in line with the MSC Cruise. We were escorted onto an air-conditioned taxi and our guide introduced himself as Emmanuel, a 3rd year philosophy student and Mozambican local. So - what's there to see in Mozambique? The tour began at the Maputo Central Train Station which was once a bustling port in the early 1900s. The train station offers some great photo opportunities. There are a few eateries around it but not much else to see and do there. We were then shown the CFM building where scenes for the Hollywood blockbuster "Blood Diamond" were shot. We then drove to the statue of Samora Machel - Mozambique's first democratically elected president. Mozambique only gained independence in 1975! Next on the tour was the National History Museum of Maputo. The museum was apparently once a hot tourist attraction in the 60s but as a modern attraction it was failing dismally! It was run down, laden in dust, with old labels and the quality of the taxidermy was questionable. Next stop in the tour was the Maputo flea market (Feira de artesanto, flores e gastronomia de Maputo) - for a unique gift buy the hand-woven bags each with its own unique pattern but in the whole flea market there are several arts and crafts both large and small to be bought - be sure to have some dollars (or Rands) from the cruise on hand - we stopped at about 3 different ATMs but could not draw cash - and of course negotiate with the traders! Our tour ended at the Fortaleza de Maputo built by the Portuguese mid-19th century unfortunately the gardens of the fort are poorly maintained and so too are the small museum rooms surrounding the gardens but the actual monuments and forts are a feat!

Overall I am glad that we took the tour but I know of a couple who walked off the cruise, took a taxi around town and explored the town on their own - that is a good option too (their package included lunch of seafood buffet at a local diner). Be warned: you will be approached by at least 5 (feels like 20) traders vying for your sale a stern "no thank you" should do the trick! Overall it was a good tour.

Visited February 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Never been more embarrassed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Oh this train is not very nice. I felt so embarrassed. My children loved it cause it was like being in a small ride in an amusement park but driving around the potholed streets of Maputo in this comical train...everyone along the way stop and staring at us. very comical indeed.

Visited October 2012
Leeds
7 attraction reviews
“The train is an odd way of getting around, try another tour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

When I went on this tour it was just me and my colleague, in this really odd, three piece train (it looks like a kiddies train from Disneyland - with a car made to look like the train engine, and then two carriages that probably could seat up to 100 ppl. As you drive around the city you feel like a fool as everyone stops to watch you drive by. Really really odd. I spoke to the guide and he said that most days it doesn't have more than two people in it...hmm, not for me. People I met at my hotel went with maputocitytours and said that they had a private car and guide and were given time alone at each attraction to go at their own speed and their tour was cheaper than ours! Probably due to all the petrol used to drag these big empty carriages around (couldn't understand why they don't just leave one carriage if it's not booked out). To me the idea of a travel agents cars and guide sounds better - going to see the attractions rather than hiding your head in shame being the attraction being rolled around the city

Visited May 2012
Dakar, Senegal
20 attraction reviews
“Great stress free way to see Maputo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I was short on time in Maputo but wanted to learn about the city, the country's history as well as get a chance to walk around a bit. Conducted in under 2.5 hours, I got just this. Leo, our guide was great- and while I normally wouldn't be so keen to hop on a moving train through the city, this was fun and made it easy to hop out and take photos. We walked through the market, I got to look into the old Portuguese fort as well as the train station. It costed about $30- pricey- but I think it was money well spent.

Visited May 2012