“Loved labourdonnais” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Yorkshire
“Loved labourdonnais”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

My Stay at the labourdonnais was excellent.
In the centre of Port Louis, with easy access to the shops and the waterfront.
The hotel is nicely appointed and the staff all friendly and helpful.
The food in the restaurant is excellent
Not near a beach but travel to the beaches in the north of the island is not a problem.

• Liked — Friendly and efficient staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

The hotel website is an email based form. I rang reservations to confirm if a room was available prior to my two week african business trip. Reservations confirmed that rooms were available, but I needed to complete the website based reservation, they would not accept a booking over the phone. I did this and waited 24 hours. No response. I rang again, yes they received my email and would send a confirmation immediately. I waited another 24 hours and no response. I rang again and was assured that an email would be sent confirming and was given a confirmation number.
I arrived at the hotel 4PM, lugged the bags into the foyer and queued with several other business people at reception, all were being directed to the nearby coffee shop to wait for their rooms. I was informed that I had cancelled my reservation and there were no rooms available. When I exclaimed there must be a mistake, I was told no mistake and dismissed with a smile. I asked to speak to the duty manager, who informed me that central reservations had confirmed that my booking was cancelled. After much screaming and demanding to see the hotel General Manager, I was offered a room. A hapless guest had not arrived at their designated time 4PM and the room was available. I spoke to Mr Sonny at central reservations who said he rang me several times, to confirm that I would be staying at the hotel. He claimed that I informed him to cancel the room. All very strange!
No one once apologised, nor was any effort made.
The hotel is a good location a level walk to Port Louis businesses and harbour tourist shops. The elevators are getting tired and sometimes jam.
The rooms are 4 star dated, good desk, lousy seat, bathroom was the same, but all was clean. Internet cable connection is NOT free and frequently drops out. Room service menu is good, great selection, good size servings and no longer than 20 mins. BUT NO COFFEE/TEA in rooms! Mornings be aware, hang the do not disturb sign, 8 AM knock is laundry, 8:30AM is housekeeping, 9AM is minibar,even on Sunday. Sunday staff appear to be younger and less well trained than the weekly staff.
Restaurants are good, breakfast can be enjoyed outside on the terrace, ignore the headwaiter's protestations, find the Maitre D, lunch and dinner very good. Once again good food, good size portions.
The pool is small (tiny) and only receives sun in the afternoon. It has a great view of the carpack and is adjacent to the (small) gym, which over looks the pool, no privacy.

Tough to find another hotel in same area, all are owned by the same company and use their own CENTRAL RESERVATIONS.
Would suggest staying at a nearby resort hotel, as this is not special and costs the same.

• Liked — Business meetings proximity
  • Disliked — Reservations
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Arrivals/Depature
We booked direct a return taxi transfer and were charged Rs1600 airport/hotel/airport. We had booked to stay originally at the Le Suffren hotel (the sister property) but were upgraded and invited to have a harbour view suite at Labourdonnais. We had returned to Mauritius and needed one night's accommodation & couldn't book near the airport. It is about 45 minutes to the hotel.

Room
Our room was a 5 star standard. Everything had been thought of as every amenity was in the room. There was a lovely private balcony that opened up with French doors to the view the harbour activity. The room is for the business traveller, however, we also think it is suitable for the elderly or those unable to walk long distances as on exiting the hotel the main area of Port Lois waterfront is on hand. In saying this, it is also appealing to a couple who might need a night's accommodation before moving areas in Mauritius and want to be a part of the waterfront with luxury. It wouldn't be for the non business traveller for more than a night or two. Even though we identified this as a business hotel we would stay here again for a night if we needed to. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room, however pre-order the hot beverage the night before for delivery from 0500 to 0700. We were able to take advantage of this as we had an early flight depature the next morning.

Hotel
We understood why airline crew stay here on arrival as it is a hideway from the bustle of Port Lois. There are 3 restaurants and 1 bar within the hotel, however, adjacent to the hotel many bars, restaurants and shops are a part of Caudan Waterfront so more options can be found. The Executive Health Club is complimentary to all hotel guests and is small like the pool however to an excellent standard. The location of this hotel is ideal to discover the Caudan Waterfront and allowed us to explore the area without having to get the bus from Pereybere where we had stayed earlier in the month. The hotel offers complimentary cruises around the harbour twice a week or one can organise to go to a nearby hotel beach by boat four times a week. So, if you are to stay here maybe contact the hotel ahead of time to see if these activities will fit in your schedule. Another boat is available for full day sailing along the reefs. The staff in this hotel are professional and take the extra step to ensure guests are having an enjoyable stay. Shortly after checking into our room we received a call from guests services to ensure we were happy with the room.

• Liked — The location to the Caudan Waterfront
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Take one of the boat excursions offered by the hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

I was in Mauritius for 1 week on business and, whilst I would have preferred to be at a luxury beach hotel, had to settle for this one in the capital. Truth be told it was a nice place with good service and friendly staff. The rooms are bright, airy and spacious and I was lucky enough to have a view over the pretty little harbour. Breakfast was decent, without being spectacular, but there are lots of lunch / dinner options around the quayside shopping development, adjacent to the hotel. The Indian restaurant on the first floor of the quayside shopping mall is superb. I tried the gym and pool and both were ok but pretty small. If you have to be in Port Louis then this is a good choice.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — gym and pool
  • Tips/Secrets — get a harbour view room and hire a car to see the island
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Labourdonnais Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!