“Absolutely Amazing - a MUST for any Grand Bay Tourist” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #95 of 171 Activities in Mauritius
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Catamaran cruises and speedboat trips all along the northern and western coastlines of Mauritius. In operation since 2007.
Heidelberg, Germany
“Absolutely Amazing - a MUST for any Grand Bay Tourist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had the privilege of spending 6 months in Mauritius from Sept 2011 to Feb 2012. During my stay I sailed with Passion Oceane (Windancer I and II) at least 10 times. I cannot imagine how the "Cutiedoggy 13" group could have had such an experience ???? I only ever experienced smiley, happy professional crew who would go put of their way to make your stay aboard as pleasurable as possible. The food was always good and the BBQ chicken or marinated Tuna or Marlin steaks were only "blackened" due to the marinade. The beers were always cold and plentiful yet the crew had a good way of ensuring that no one would over endure and perhaps be a safety risk for the return journey. I do agree that the island (Gabriel) is in an unacceptable state due to all the litter, however one must ask themselves "who left the litter there in the first place" ??? Passion Oceane are extremely conscious of the environment and I noticed all their litter was returned to the mainland and disposed of there through the normal refuse removal.
A highlight of the trip is definitely the short stopover in a secluded cove on the South side of Coin de Mire. Amazing water to just relax in, cool snorkeling and coffee and cake served when on board again. Of course the final stretch back with a party feeling , good music, smiley happy cheerful people just enjoying what life has to over outside of the concrete jungle.
In all I am sure I would have been with around 175-250 on these trips and I cannot remember one person not having enjoyed themselves - even those that had to take a lie down due to sea sickness !!
If you Go or Don't Go will not change my Life - trust me though , if you do GO , it will change yours and leave you with fond memories of a day well spent.
Thanks to Nato, Patato, Sean, Babbu, those days with you guys I will treasure for a lifetime !!!

Visited September 2012

Western Cape, South Africa
37 attraction reviews
“Trip to Gabriel Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Great day out. A must do if you are in Maurituis. Snorkekling is great! Can get a bit busy on the Isalnad.

Visited February 2012
Hong Kong
50 attraction reviews
“Worst Ever Catamaran Excursion In The World”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

At the end of January, we were on a group tour to Mauritius and the tour company rented Wind Dancer I for the private use of 16 of us. The person in charged called himself Chip. By paying US$200 per person, the excursion supposed to last from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The boat picked us up from Le Meridien Hotel (11 O’clock position of Mauritius) and the sailing supposed to take around 2 hours to a snorkeling beach in southwest side (7 O’clock position). However, after sailing for almost 2 hours, we only reached Port Louis (9 O’clock position) and at that speed, no way we could arrive on time for snorkeling and back to the hotel at 3 p.m. After discussion by the tour leader with Chip, we were being requested to pay an extra US$100 as fuel surcharge if we wanted to speed up the boat. After the payment was made, the speed of the boat was increased from 2 knots to 7 knots as engine was used instead of just sail but Chip told the leader not to tell the boss of this surcharge.

We finally reached the snorkeling spot but the crew only gave us 30 minutes in the water. No way would we accept travelling so far and snorkeling for only half an hour. Before we jumped into the water, our tour leader negotiated again and discussed with the boss over the phone. Our leader agreed to pay another US$200 to extend the use of catamaran for another two hours. We ended up having an hour snorkeling in the water. However, unlike almost all other catamaran excursions in the world, none of the crew members were in the water to help navigate our way to find nice corals. The whole crew were just smoking on the catamaran. What they did was only blowing the whistle and shouted at us to swim back to the boat even though our distance was just about 300 meters from the boat. It seemed their interest was only to finish work early.

After snorkeling, we had BBQ lunch on the boat but most grilled food was burnt. According to the itinerary, we visited another beach nearby and stayed there for only 30 minutes. As the boat started to sail back, they only used the sail which we questioned why they didn’t use the engine. Initially they said that area was too shallow and sail had to be used. After we past that region, they still refused to start the engine and their excuse was couldn’t use the sail and engine at the same time. It was all kind of nonsense and finally our tour leader insisted they turned on the engine. As a result, the speed again was raised from just around 2 1/2 knots to 7 knots.

By the time we reached Le Meridien Hotel, a slipper of one of the tour members was lost. Instead of searching for it, the crew member told that person to buy another pair from the market which cost only US$15. They had extremely bad attitude but as that tour member insisted the slipper was on the boat, they finally found it.

What we suspected was that the crew members shared among themselves the US$100 fuel surcharge and requested the leader not to tell the boss. Also, by only using the sail, it will reduce the usage of gasoline. Catamaran excursions at snorkeling spots are so popular in the world that the service standard has always been excellent. Also, the crew members always shared the fun with guests (in the water and on the boat) and enjoyed what they do. We have never come across such a lazy team who were so unhelpful and money minded.

Visited January 2012
Bruno F, Manager at Passion Oceane Eco Cruises and Adventures, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
I am sorry that you feel so negative about your experience aboard our catamaran, but most of your remarks do not make much sense and are in fact in stark contrast with those we receive on a daily basis from the vast majority of our customers who generally rave about the quality of our on-board service and the professionalism of our crew. Burnt food? Fuel surcharge? Unhelpful, lazy crew? Smoking??? If we had received any other negative review of this sort about any members of our team, I can assure you that we would have acted swiftly to remove them. But that is the problem: we have never heard any such criticisms from any other customer.
Based on your comments, it seems to me that the main source of your discontent is that you were gravely misled by the tour-operator who sold you this package as a 6-hr cruise. The west coast explorer is a full-day cruise which takes 8-10 hours, depending on wind and sea conditions. Therefore I can only imagine your frustration in trying to cover the distance within your set timeframe of 6 hours! In those circumstances you should not be blaming the crew for failing to stop long enough at various beach or snorkeling spots or for refusing to run the engines at full speed; the only person to blame is the tour-operator who sold you the cruise and created those wrong expectations. There is just no way that a 8-10 hr cruise can be run successfully and joyfully within a 6-hour time frame.
Furthermore, it is very difficult to believe that you would be silly enough to agree to cough up 100 dollars to get the skipper to use the engines and that you did not think of calling our office yourself to complain that this was happening, especially after the unhelpful, lazy skipper asked your tour leader "not to tell the boss of this surcharge".
Also, smoking aboard our catamarans is strictly prohibited and the skippers enforce that rule at all times, which many of our customers actually cite as a big plus.
And lastly, we are very much of the opinion that 300m is a very, very long way to swim away from the boat – if I were the skipper I would be worried to see the clients snorkel beyond 100m, especially in high seas.
Once again, everything in this review is a complete nonsense, written by someone (a competitor?) who for some reason means us harm, and obviously in sharp contrast with the rest of the reviews. Then again, even the best hotels and the best restaurants in the world are sometimes the target of negative reviews from someone who woke up one morning and decided he was going to ruin somebody’s day.
I would like to point out that our company caters mainly to high-end (and highly demanding) clients looking mainly for exclusive (private) cruises. A significant part of our revenue is also generated from repeat customers who keep coming back precisely because of the quality of our service, the pristine condition of our vessels, and the professionalism of our crew. As such, we rely very much on our reputation to sustain our business, therefore if this review was a true reflection of who we are we would have been out of business long ago.