I stayed at this hotel for one night in January 2009. I don’t think I’d stay here again, but I might, depending what else was available. I have a much more wishy-washy opinion than usual about this hotel. What it did well, it did very well, but parts were – not good.
– The location was good, near the train station.
– Excellent breakfast buffet, my favorite during the month I spent in West Africa – mainly because of an exquisite black-eyed peas dish, and some excellent cold-cereal choices. A real treat. The buffet was also completely stocked and ready at 5 AM (yes, 5 AM!), much appreciated since I had an early flight out.
– I had a huge room (I was in a single) with a comfortable bed.
– My A/C/ was pretty loud, which meant I didn’t hear any other noise from street, other rooms, or hall.
– There were two excellent reading lights next to the bed.
– The A/C was acceptable, but not great; I prefer a cold room, and was not able to get it as cool as I would have liked.
– There was no mosquito netting in my room, and there were mosquitos in it. The lobby was also filled with a large visible cloud of mosquitos.
– I had no towels at all, and despite asking twice, never got any.
– The trash in my room had not been emptied before I occupied it; one trash can had water bottles, food wrappers, and used q-tips in it (ick).
– Although my single room was huge, the two twin beds in it were very narrow, narrower than the typical twin bed. They were comfortable, though.
In summary, this hotel could be improved on both in terms of cleanliness and of service, and the rooms need to be equipped with mosquito netting. Bonus points for the buffet (and its early availability), though, and for the good reading lights (rare in West Africa) and comfortable bed. Usually I’m pretty sure after a hotel stay whether I’d return to it or not. I’m not so sure about the Grand. Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on what else I could find out there, but leaning toward no.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Bamako
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, EasyToBook and HotelsClick so you can book your Azalai Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.