“Refreshingly honest people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cluny Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lilongwe
Cluny Lodge
Plot 69 | Area 9, Lilongwe, Malawi   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Lilongwe B&B and Inns
Tiberias, Israel
“Refreshingly honest people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

This review has a small twist.
We never actually got to stay here. BUT, Bev and her husband went out of their way to reserve a room for my children who were traveling in Malawi and ran out of money. Bev said I could send the payment via bank transfer when I got home. Unfortunately, my kids lost Internet and cell phone communication and managed to work it out on their own. But the fact that Bev saved a room for them is so admirable. I thank them and know that anyone will be made to feel at home with them. Kudos to them.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Botswana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Cluny Lodge has and always will be a breath of fresh air in an otherwise mundane destination. Lilongwe has never been a destination of choice for me but staying at Cluny Lodge makes it an almost bearable experience. Their level of personal service and attention to detail is unsurpassed and the warm coming home type atmosphere is most welcome after a long journey on Malawi's 'colourful' roads...
I would recommend it to friends, family and most importantly to anybody in town on business, either overnighting or staying for an extended period of time as they are very acommodating and have a nice selection of room types and rates, they will also shuttle you to and from the Airport and offer a hire car facility as well.
Just be sure to contact them in advance to secure a booking...

rick44mag
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

This was my second stay at the Cluny Lodge. I know If I am in Lilongwe there is no better place to be. The rates are great and you will find your Hosts to be spectacular. I was not disapointed with my second stay at all. It now ranks as one of my favorite places to be only second from home. Everything from the food,beds,spacious room,and so many unexpected little goodies that only Bev and Marinus could provide was taken care of.

Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

After one week at Korea Garden moving to Cluny was like coming to Paradise ! The house is clean and well kept. Free coffee and tea in the room and the lounge 24/7. Spacious quite rooms with a proper desk to work on. Breakfast and Dinner has homemade quality.
The owners are lovely and willing to help and support you with every of your wishes.
Considering the fact that it cost almost the same as an "executive room" at Korea Garden, Cluny Lodge just plays in a different league !!! Being in Malawi for business a couple of times..this place is my Number 1 for the future.
As much as I try..I cant find nothing to complain of...and considering the reasonabl room rates....almost to good to be true! ;-)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

I stayed at Cluny Lodge for one week on business. I truly enjoyed the stay.

The Lodge is run by a very hospital South African couple. They offered very friendly assistance to accommodate all sorts of my personal needs and that made my stay very pleasant and comfortable.

The room was very clean, and I particularly liked the clean all-tiled floor. I am an insect-phobia, and I was very pleased that in this Lodge, I was able to stay away from them. Last year I stayed at Lilongwe hotel and I could not relax there as I encountered cockroaches at least three times in their premises (and room charges were 30% higher than Cluny Lodge).

Both Cross Road Shopping area and Old Town Mall are in walking distance, so I could go out for a bite on foot (although walking was not really possible after the sunset, as there was no street light). The supper was available, and it was delicious. I also enjoyed 24-hour served free coffee bar.

Next time when I come back to Lilongwe, I will definitely choose Cluny Lodge again.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Marinus and Bev are superb hosts; they attended to every question and frequently checked with me to find out how I was doing. The location is excellent--convenient to town, quiet, and secure. I truly felt at home.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Staying at the lodge helped make my first trip to Africa unforgettable! The grounds of the lodge were nice and very well maintained. The entire staff was friendly and very accomodating. Bev and Marinus were exceptional hosts. They made sure that our every need was addressed, provided us with very helpful tips and suggestions, and went well above and beyond their roles of innkeepers. They definetely made our two week stay memorable! My colleague and I were tucked away in our own private corner, complete with kitchen and outdoor patio. After tasting one evening meal, we were hooked! Everything was delicious and it was good home cooking! Requests for meals were well received, especially for the "caramel pudding"!! The full breakfast was also a treat. If I ever visit Africa again, I will definetely stay at the lodge!! I highly recommend it; you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Cluny Lodge? Share your experiences!