“Lovely hotel with poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Lesotho Sun Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hilton Road, Maseru 100, Lesotho   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Maseru
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely hotel with poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed in the presidential suite at this hotel for one night when I was in Lesotho for business. As I arrived I was not impressed at all by the door man and porter who merely looked at us and did not assist us with opening door and carrying our luggage. We were 2 ladies and were carrying quite a number of things with us. After checking in, we settled in, in the beautiful room prepared for us. I was quiet puzzled by the hotel staff who were entering the suite willy-nilly fixing or bringing things without knocking. We were also unimpressed by the fact that the wi-fi was not free and when we got the voucher, you could only use it for one device at a time. So, I couldn't access my phone and iPad at the same time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming to Lesotho for 6 years & Staying at this hotel which is considered the bestbhotl in town. The hotel is very comfortable, great rooms, friendly staff plenty of hot water, & good heating in the winter. However, the food leaves much to be desired and the service is non existent. When a request is made, one needs to follow up several times to get service. Once the responsible person has made a phone call, they think their duty is done. There is no follow-up. I requested a chair for my room and after one hour it took a return trip to to front desk to ask again. My husband calls me skype to land, but often the front desk does not answer the phone. we now skype to cell. These issues are indicative, but not unusual. Technically I am in a nonsmoking room. However, clients in the rooms around me smoke and nothing is done to deter the other clients from smoking in the non-smoking areas. The ventilation system allows my room to be filled with cigarette smoke. It is very off-putting. Needless to say that with better training, this really could bee a 4 star hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Lesotho Sun Hotel offers good, clean, and comfortable accommodation in Maseru. The staff are friendly and efficient. BUT the most impressive feature of the hotel is its restaurant which serves THE BEST lamb chops I have eaten to date. Absolutely divine!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The staff is great. The dinner gets boring after a few days but the breakfast buffet is lovely. The bed is comfortable, the casino is amusing and the view of the valley is second to none. The resident manager is VERY involved with all activities.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've only stayed at this hotel in Maseru, but it seemed like the best choice of the lot. You get really nice views since you're tucked away on a mountain and the chinese restaurant downstairs is pretty good.

The internet is annoying though because you have to keep buying data packages and they are often sold out when you need to recharge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My experiences the two times I stayed at the hotel was remarkable. The stay with no exceptions was great. All of the staff seemed to go out of their way to make my stay comfortable. The food was well prepared, was presented beautifully. The rooms were clean and serviced daily. The grounds beautiful and kept well manicured. In short my time at the hotel made my stay very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Set on the hillside in Maseru, the views from this hotel are stunning. The staff is warm, friendly and attentive, and the food in the restaurant is excellent (thank you, Chef Rambo!). We stayed for a week in early March and understood quickly why it is touted as the best hotel in Maseru. I would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lesotho Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!