“Hotel Shangri-La has an African culture which parallely maintains a level of international standards.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Shangri-La

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Hotel Shangri-La
You added Hotel Shangri-La to your Saves list
Airport Road | P.O. Box 9201 KIA, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #61 of 89 Hotels in Accra
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. I was on my business tour. I was warmly received at the reception with a "Welcome Drink". The room was good and spacious beside the beautiful garden. It has a serenity. It is very near to the airport. It is situated in a prime location. There is a huge shopping mall and mutiplex just beside the hotel. It is very easy and convenient to move from the hotel to the office. I liked the Pizzaassss. The food was very tasty and well presented. After having my shower in the evening I used to spent some time in the Bar to have my favorite "Vodkatini" cocktail. The Bar is all set and the Bartender is very friendly and prepares lovely drinks. The pool side area is a paradise. The waiters are friendly. Next time when I will go to Ghana I will definitely take my family and stay at Shangri-La.

Room Tip: Executive rooms & Standard Double Rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

First visit to Ghana and stayed at the Hotel 6 nights 7 night May 2011. Staff very friendly and helpful. Spotlessly clean. 5 Minutes from airport but never once disturbed by aircraft noise. Conveniently on main road to city centre. Walking distance (under 1km) to Woolworths shop and (1,5km) new Accra Mall with Game and Shoprite.

Room Tip: Staff very friendly and helpful.
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

The hotel is close to the airport and is charming with all its green gardens. The service is ok, and the aircondition works. Bed was ok, but in general it appears as if Shangrila needs new investments. The rooms are run-down.

We left Shangrila before time to move to another hotel in Accra. The primary reason was the smell in the rooms of mould. The first night we had a tropical rain - and we realised that the rain water went through the roof. Possibly the cause of the smell.

Maybe changing to other rooms would have solved the problems, but in general the buildings seems to need a radical renovation (or better: a new construction). Besides that, Shangila is charming and pitoresque.

Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Shangri La in November for one night before traveling to Cape Coast. When I checked in they had me sign a blank credit card receipt...I told them I am not comfortable with signing a blank receipt, but they said that is their policy, so I had to do it. As we left the next day on our way to Cape Coast, there was a lot of confusion with the large amount of luggage we had (we were bringing teaching aids and books to a deaf school) and we never received our receipt and didn't think about it again until we recieved our credit card bill. We were billed $752 for our one night stay, even though we had a confirmed reservation for a room at $155. We did not charge a single thing to our room in that day. I called the hotel 6 times trying to plead my case and ask how that could happen. The communication over the phone was difficult, and each time I was told they would talk to the accountant about it and call back. I never got any call backs and when I asked to speak with a manager or the accountant, that was never possible. I complained to the credit card company and they pulled the overcharge off of our card initially, but had to put it back on because the hotel maintained that they were owed $752 as that was on the receipt.

Since there are a lot of unknowns when traveling abroad, one of the most important things I hope for is to be able to trust the businesses that I give access to my credit cards, money, and personal property. Shangri La certainly does not fall into that category with me and I can never imagine a reason why I would ever trust them again. I would recommend staying away from this hotel because the stay wasn't worth $155, much less $752.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

This hotel was reasonably clean but very dated...OLD. It is located right next door to the airport (less than 10 minutes). I did not like my room. The furniture was not quality type furniture and the linens left a lot to be desired. If you tip the housekeepers well, you get new fluffy towels. Air conditioning units kept breaking down. NOT A LUXURY FACILITY by American standards. The pool and the area surrounding the pool was nice. There was plenty of security 24/7 so I felt reasonably safe. It took a day or two to get comfortable with room and bathroom. The Free breakfast buffet was exactly the same EVERY morning. The overall service left much to be desired. I would never stay in this facility again and definitely NOT recommend it to my friends or enemies.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

This is the worst hotel i've ever stayed in. Looks okay on the outside,but once you are inside the rooms, it's a different story. The rooms smells musty, the sheets are old and one cant really figure out if they are meant to be white, brown or cream in colour, The toilet seats need to be replaced with new ones. To make matters worse, there were cockroaches in the room, ran away after 2 nights. Please dont try going there until you hear that the hotel has recently been reopoened cause it was closed down for renovations.

Never again!!!

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Skien
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for one night after arriving late from Amsterdam and continuing our trip inland in Ghana. The hotel is close to the airport, which is convenient. We were greeted alright, but the dinner was disappointing. All three of us had the same opinion.
The breakfast was somewhat disappointing with a large TV showing the old movie Speed with Sandra Bullock taking all attention from the waiters. Loud and noisy! Normal talking at the table was impossible 
The swimming pool has dirty water and looks disgusting. Our daughter who is studying in Ghana left some clothes for washing upon her arrival, but such service at this hotel is very expensive!!
The accountant at check out used more than 30 minutes to present the bill and clear our visa card on departure, thus delaying our taxi driver waiting in front of the hotel.
The hotel is pricy and just not worth the money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Shangri-La? Share your experiences!