“Great small hotel in Pokuase area” 5 of 5 stars

Joy Family Lodge
14 Pokuase-Amasaman Road | Fise Junction, Accra 00233, Ghana   |
Ranked #44 of 150 Accra B&B and Inns
New York City
“Great small hotel in Pokuase area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Great small hotel in Pokuase area (about 1 1/2 hrs away from DT Accra). The rooms are great and feature AC, a small fridge, and bathrooms with a shower.
The patio area is a like a small green oasis. The staff is nice and helpful (especially James). We enjoyed having dinner and a Guinness in the garden after a long hot day.
On a separate note, I drink coffee in the morning, so I decided to bring my own french press and ground coffee. The staff gladly boiled water for me. Bring your own supplies, if there are things that that you "can't life without".

Room Tip: Stay in the downstairs rooms, it's easier than having to carry your luggage up a big flight of s...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lagos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Joy Family Lodge is an excellent hotel for a peaceful timeout/vacation. I made my enquiries/reservations over the internet via mail. Response time was wonderful. Got to Ghana and it was a warm welcome right from the terminal (where they cam to pick me) to the hotel and throughout my stay. Entire staff very friendly and homely, always ready to answer my enquiries about Ghana. I really enjoyed myself with my wife

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Joy Family is a solid enough hotel, but there's no reason to come out to Pokuase unless you're visiting someone or doing business in the immediate area. It's about an hour away from downtown Accra, over a very rough section of road near Achimota that has remained unpaved for several years now. There are many better-situated options in downtown Accra itself if that's your destination. However, if you are interested in visiting the Pokuase area, Joy Family is clean and relatively inexpensive, with hot water and internet access available.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Oxon, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

Would love to write a review for this hotel. Booked it as our 1st place in Ghana during the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations. Arranged pick-up at the airport, and when we couldn't find anyone, I called them, only to find out they had given our rooms to somebody else.....

At 11pm, having landed after an 8hour flight from England, we were not impressed. We arranged an alternative with some of the touts hanging around outside the airport, but I was very unhappy with Joy Family Lodge.

It may be the greatest hotel in Accra, but make sure you're rooms are not given away.....

• Liked — It was on the internet
  • Disliked — They let our rooms to others before we arrived, but didn't tell us..................
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Spring Hill, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

From the first day I arrived at the lodge I can tell that this was a perfect choice. The staff were so friendly and hospitable and treated me like one of the family. Being an American I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of the rooms , western style toilet and the best tasting Talapia I have ever had. After being there for 3 weeks it started to feel like a home away from home. The lodge is in a town called Pokuase and is about an hour from the main city of Accra but if you are just looking for a nice place to stay while you are doing some volunteer or mission work this is the place to be. If you forgot to bring something from home, don't worry, they will get it for you.

• Liked — The great hospitality of the staff and cleanliness.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Joy Family Lodge? Share your experiences!