“Renovation - Excellent Make Over” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Labadi Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Labadi Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Labadi Beach Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Labadi By-Pass | Labadi Beach, Trade Fair, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #2 of 89 hotels in Accra
Lake Villa, Illinois
“Renovation - Excellent Make Over”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Part of my job is to inspect hotels and rate them as acceptable or unacceptable for my fellow workers. I have been doing this internationally for over 11 years. In Accra, I reviewed multiple properties and I can say without a doubt the Labadi Beach Hotel is the best in town.

Positives: I just spent 4 nights at the Labadi in the newly renovated wing. The hotel did a fantastic job! All tile flooring, great comfortable king bed with soft sheets and a nice warm comforter, fully functional air conditioner that can make one's room a meat locker if you wanted it to. Bathroom well lit. Separate shower enclosed by glass doors and an additional large soaker tub. Plenty of room for toiletries either side of the sink although the surface is lower.

Pool area and general grounds are very nice and well kept. Private beach nice to have. Breakfast was fantastic. Buffet with a omelet station. Plenty of fresh fruit and juices. I ate out most of the time but I did have a excellent greek salad and a thai shrimp curry dish that was the best I ever had. Members in my group all commented that their meals were excellent. Free wifi throughout the hotel. The speed issue and dropped connection seems to have been fixed. I only had an issue during my first day and the hotel's IT folks had it fixed in a matter of minutes.

Negatives: Efficiency of front desk on check out. My billed showed I had a mini bar charge when in fact I NEVER use the mini bar. Call me cheap but I prefer thrifty. Front desk took my word for it and issued a credit. It did seem to take a little longer than I would expect to check out. Would like to see better lighting in the room.

Location is remote. There is the casino just west of the hotel but outside of that one will be taking transportation to anywhere else. The Osu district has many restaurants and shopping which is approximately :15 minutes away depending on traffic. 5 Cedis cost if you take the taxis outside of the hotel or use the safer mode of Avis drivers for 14 Cedis an hour. Don't plan on returning to the hotel between 4 and 7 pm as traffic is a night mare along the coast.

General: Hotel offers a shuttle bus to and from airport. Arrangements must be made ahead of time. Avis rent a car is on property. $10 USD or 14 Cedis an hour includes car, driver, and gas. Taxis out front of hotel are a lot cheaper but buyer beware. Not the safest for of transportation. Recommend staying out of the water as there is a lot of garbage on the sand bottom that you can not see. Wear shoes on the beach. ( Hotel's private beach is kept clean.)

Over all the newly renovated wing was done in an excellent manner. Nice job Labadi! I would recommend if your travels take you to Accra then treat yourself to the Labadi Beach Hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Monterey, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

This is my second stay at the Labadi Beach Resort. The first time I stayed in one of the old rooms, a bit worn, but functional. This time they did me a 'favor' and gave me one of their recently remodeled rooms. The room is nice enough with a comfortable king bed and comforter, but the BATHROOM IS HORRIBLE! Oh its clean...and closely RESEMBLES THAT OF A HOSPITAL! One space with a sink, toilet and shower...no shower curtain or anything to stop the water from splashing ALL OVER onto the toilet paper, tissue box, etc. The sink looks very sleek and stylish, but there is NOWHERE to put one's toiletry bag or other things! AND, though the shower head is mounted on an adjustable rod, at its highest it hardly reaches my scalp at a height of 5ft 5in (165cm)!!! NO MAN could take a shower standing up! Who ever designed these new rooms/bathrooms should be shot for being an idiot! STAY HERE, BUT ASK FOR ONE OF THE OLD ROOMS UNLESS YOU ARE A MIDGET, LIKE HAVING EVERYTHING IN THE BATHROOM SOAKED, OR HAVE NO TOILETRIES!!! I, FOR ONE, AM GRAVELY DISAPPOINTED!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Lagos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

My husband and I have traveled all over the world and we would rank the Labadi Beach Hotel right up there with the best hotels we've frequented is regards to customer service. Every detail is taken care of by an expertly trained staff who will go way beyond to make sure your stay is the best possible. The rooms are OK but a little dated. They are opening a re-modeled section of the hotel in July 2010 - much needed. The pool area is fabulous and especially great if you have kids. The beach beautiful is well-taken care of. The traders are not allowed inside the property. The food is probably the best in Accra. The chef is renowned and the prices are extremely reasonable given the restaurant's 5 star status. The hotel can arrange for a driver to take you around town for about $10 per hour. Expensive by Ghanaian standards when taxis are 1/4 of that price but are not air conditioned. We went for the air conditioned driver! Internet use is about $1 per hour but isn't always reliable. We would stay at the Labadie again for sure. It has the level of customer service equal to The Oriental in Bangkok. Granted, the rooms are not as luxurious as most 5 star hotels - but the scrumptious buffet breakfast that was included in the price of the room made this stay even more economical given it's 5 star rating.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

The Good: Labadi Beach is one of the oldest and well-known hotels in Accra, Ghana. The lobby, grounds, pool area, and reserved beach area for resort clients only are beautiful and well kept. The rooms are clean with good water pressure, comfortable beds, and functioning air conditioning however they are definitely in need of a major makeover/update (scheduled for July 2010 which from the pictures will be beautifully modern). Breakfast is delicious with quite a variety but the dinner buffet is a little pricey for the quality of food. The bellstaff are phenomenal - very helpful and always welcoming!!!!

THE BAD: CHECK-IN and Front Desk Staff!!! Both times we checked in - we had to wait more than an hour but our second stay took the cake. We arrived to Labadi at 7PM (originally planned to arrive at 4PM) after a 4 hour drive from Kumasi to find that, 1) they did not have one member of the group's reservation (myself - the person who the entire group was listed under) and 2) none of the rooms were ready at 7PM because another group had just checked out (despite check-out being 11am or 12noon). Instead of the frontdesk staff trying to accommodate us, they were not at all apologetic but rather rude and unprofessional, telling us to have a seat and wait. When asked if we could speak with a manager, they kept brushing us off and we actually had to go seek out a manager on our own. We travel several times a year and have been to several countries but have never been treated in such a manner. This was the last evening of our trip and left a sour taste in our mouth so I am reluctant to recommend the hotel to someone else until I am sure that the frontdesk staff have taken a few lessons in service and professionalism.

• Stayed February 2010
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

As far as Sub-Sahara Africa goes, this place is not bad. The rooms are older and in need of some TLC, but mostly clean. The common areas are very nice. The outdoor and indoor restaurants are both very nice and the food was tasty.

The pool was nice. It flowed from an upper part, down the rocks to the main pool. It had a nice, natural look. From the pool, there is a nice walkway out to the beach where you can buy trinkets or taste some great local foods including freshly caught fish.

It is a great starting point to go see all the former slave castles and rainforests up North.

If the rooms were a little better kept, it would be an outstanding hotel in Africa.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Have been to the Beach of the Labadi Beach Resort and in my opinion its a shame for a 5 star hotel! About the I cannot say anything because I was not a guest, however the beach (costs 5 $ I think) was just bad.

My labadi beach beach experience:
The chairs are resanable, the towels are good, the hotel looked good and the umbrella's are good.
The food was not expensive for a 5 star hotel, however the food was very simple.

I stayed in a budget hotel myself and the service of that budget hotel was very good. All the Ghanaien people I have met during my trip were very kind and willing to help.
I think from a 5 starts hotel you can expect guest is king, however in this case it was the opposite! It was the only place Ghanaien people were not giving service.

I had to wait for more then an hour (!!!!!!!!!) for my simple meal with drinks
(Another German guest was shouting loud to a waiter things like "I'm comming I'm comming, you are telling me that for hours, I still have no drinks!!")
As a white solo person I asked the staff if someone could do my back with suncream.
The sayd oke, ..... after more the an hour and 3 times asking I gave up.

Then at a certain moment someone who claimed to be of the hotel, did my back (used half a bottle) and was asking for money. (It seems to be a crook)

Advice: be carefull with your belongings
I have been in Ghana at severall places, markets, poor neighbourhoods etc; is a very save country. The beach of the Labadi Beach however is the place for rich tourists....so also intresting for thiefs. There is a small line with flags that seperate the Labadi-beach from the public beach. One security officer is doing his best to keep the wholesalers etc out of the beach, but he doesn't see anything, so salespeople and also thiefs can cross this border. With all the arguments of the salespersons and the security officer you do not lay down relaxed at the beach. If I would stay in the hotel, I would not return to the beach, and stay at the swimming pool. (Although I have my doubts if the staff there would deliver service)

Except the security officer nobody else of the staff of the beach of the Labadi Beach hotel was working.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

ICK. What an incredible waste of money. DO NOT STAY HERE. I'm SO glad we only stayed one night. This place was such a scam. Don't fall for the few beautiful pictures of the lobby. They do a great job maintaining the entryway and pool appearance to sell you on the idea, and haven't done a THING to the rooms in ages. In the room, the carpet was shredding and stained (eiww), it smelled, there was evidence that it had been broken into before, and the cleaning service was a joke. I don't usually expect much from a room, but this was supposed to be the "treat" for one night... I figured it cost about 3 times what other rooms cost, and the pictures really sold me... NOPE.

AND we had issues with checking in and out. Check-in isn't until 4pm. We arrived around 7am to Accra and had to kill time until the afternoon (because we called ahead, but the hotel REFUSED to give us early check-in -not even 2pm). We ended up getting to the hotel around 4:30, and then had to wait ANOTHER half an hour for a room. plus, they charged us a preemptive extra $100 just in case we damaged the room. it was stressful trying to confirm that they weren't charging us for this the next morning. good GRIEF. AWFUL.

food at the restaurant is just as overpriced and unimpressive as the rest of it. the only plus was the included buffet breakfast with fresh fruit and coffee...

On our way out of Accra, we stayed at a much less snazzy place, but it was so much cleaner, safer, and didn't smell like garbage. and i didn't feel like we were being completely ripped off.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Labadi Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!