“Overpriced and poor quality” 2 of 5 stars

La Palm Royal Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 1 Bypass | PO Box OS 3000, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #28 of 89 Hotels in Accra
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and poor quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights when I was in town for a conference. I would avoid and look elsewhere, particularly for the price that you pay. I actually found the Maxlot in town to be a better option at about half the price.

The hotel is attempted to be a five star European or US beach style experience although it fails on a number of accounts.

Firstly, when I arrived, the lock on my door didn't work - I couldn't get in and then it wouldn't let me out! The hot water didn't work, and then the bathroom flooded. Finally, when I moved room the internet didn't work either - and the wifi is extremely weak. They also forgot to clean my room on two of the nights that I was here.The food is very expensive (around GH60 for a dinner - double the price of places in town) and I found it to be average at best.

It is also pretty far out of town if you have a conference at the International Conference Centre and traffic is heavy to get in during the morning (it can take up to 40 minutes).

On the plus side, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is decent, but that is probably the minimum that you would expect for nearly $300 a night.

I would look elsewhere if you want better value for money and comfort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer to the main reception as the outlying villa buildings are quite a walk and it...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

There are probably better places for holding conferences in Accra but this location passes the minimum. For the money you would pay, the location and the rooms deliver average value. So don't expect much - for all the reasons other travelers specified. Breakfast choices are run of the mill. The juices are terrible. Service is average and below what you would expect in a "royal beach hotel" location. For vegetarians and vegans, beware, staying here 1-2 days is okay if you can put up with veggie pizza and veggie sandwich just once. For vegans, the situation is dire. However, the coastal beach makes up for all other shortcomings in this hotel, even if you just stand by the edge and enjoy the waves for a few minutes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A recent 'flying' visit to Accra saw me stay at the La Palm Royal, giving me a chance to compare my own notes to the resorts I have stayed with in Mombasa, Zanzibar and the Seychelles.
The welcome was professional and courteous, my room was ready and so was the electric cart which took me to my room. The hotel has 12 pavillions, or so I was told, each with 8 rooms and a suite. The rooms were spacious, as was the lobby of the pavillions, though the fountain in the centre of it was 'dry' ... out of service for a while one of the staff told me. Generally, the place could do with a face lift but from what again some staff told me that was underway. Hope for the best! For sure the sliding doors need not just attention but probably full replacement.
A key ingredient in the room, at least in my book, a kettle with creamer, tea and coffee, was at hand, an extra mark for that. The internet worked well on arrival but when I returned from my dinner function it had gone awol and, here is the downside I must mention about the resort, 5 calls resulted in nothing but empty promises to 1) restore it soon 2) have IT look into it 3) have IT come and check and 4) have the receptionist come and check 5) have the receptionist really come this time - none of which happened till morning, leaving a travelling scribe without access to post stories.
Back to the function I attended - the pre dinner cocktails on the lawn were nicely arranged and the spread on the buffet was great, well presented and tasty and the service staff were swift, observant and helpful.
In the morning, my early check out required breakfast to be ready early too, and when I walked into the dining the staff were just setting up - and racing the clock to finish what they were doing. In the end, I got a full buffet to choose from, cooking station open and therefore again compliments to the staff on duty that early.
My rating would be between 3.5 and 4 stars, compared with what I find at that level in Kenya, Tanzania, Zanzibar or the Seychelles, but alas, the rating on TA does not permit such a refined approach, yet.
I guess the huge fence, sealing off the beach, was for security purposes, and while I accept that, the open access in East Africa or on the Indian Ocean islands, makes this set up really not so nice to look at, even if it is necessary.
For a one night stay, quite acceptable.

Room Tip: Try get a room in a pavilion further away from the main road - trucks at night are quite audible and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Monrovia, Liberia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Service was very, very good, all smiles and helpful staff. Room was fine and conference facilities good. Best of all was the Chinese restaurant with a fabulous teppanyaki performance by the chef and also was delicious. Highly recommended for business travellers eating alone. Airport transfers were very efficient. All round my best stay ever in Accra and would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: chalets are spacious, could be a wet experience getting to the mother ship in the wet season
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was here for work. If hotels were based on people this is a winner - full of smiles and prompt service. The downside is that it is an ageing complex suffering more than the odd powercut. However for me this is part of the African charm and why I rate it. Shower not great but if you're in Accra then from what I'm aware this is a good in the competing bunch.

• Stayed June 2013
Bay Area, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I arranged for airport pick-up by the hotel, and the driver was waiting and I was able to get to the hotel rather quickly. Check in was straightforward and I was offered a welcome drink. Upon entering the building #8 that contains maybe 10 rooms, the entry door was in disrepair and screeched when it was being opened, dragging on the tile floor. My room like the other reviews was OK, but in need of updating, especially the bathroom - pure white bight fluorescent lights, oldish tile. Bathroom towels were a bit skimpy, no washcloths, no shampoo - just bar soap and a small bottle of bodywash. The bedside carpets were not clean and slipped easily on the marble floors. Bed linens were clean. Comfort of the bed was not great but not horrible either. I found that the in-room internet connection was good. My room was fairly quiet from outside noise and adjacent room noise. So in-all, the room was quite average, 3 star at best by international standards. What I liked much better was the grounds outside. The property is reasonably large but not huge and there are a couple of bars outside, the better one being the Ghanian Village theme by the ocean. Food was pretty good and the service was decent but a couple times there seemed to be some confusion - in all, enjoyable. One evening , my party was made to pay cash for drinks because the computer system was supposedly down at time of closing. But when we left, the bartender suggested we go to the Equator Bar that is open later. When we said we used up all our cash and he said the computer is back up now so we would not need cash at the Equator, so I can only imagine what was up with that. During the day, poolside drink service was good, but was told by several staff there and elsewhere that if you put the tip on the room charge, the staff has great difficulty getting it. In fact when I added a tip to my bill, the waitress said, "I'll take this off the bill since I won't end up getting this, so you will be paying for nothing." Which was nice of her to inform me of, so the next day I was able to tip with cash.

I also used the Thai Massage twice during the trip, once in-room and once at the Spa facility near the casino. Both massages were excellent and reasonably priced. I think the staff that perform the massages are all from Thailand. The Spa is a traditional Thai set-up where the massage "rooms" are just a number of adjacent curtained off areas. When I was in the Spa, someone in the next area was taking calls on their cell phone during their massage which was rude to say the least. So I would recommend the in-room service (which is the same price) where it is quiet and you can rest after the massage w/o going anywhere.

Hotel checkout was straightforward and the pickup van was about 15 min late and it took nearly an hour to get to the airport because of traffic (not sure if that is normal around 5 pm or there was a problem on the road that day). Since the hotel suggested pickup 3 hours before the flight, I'm guessing it is to allow for delays and traffic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
lapalm, General Manager at La Palm Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review of our hotel. Your comments are very helpful and will be utilised to help us serve your better on your next visit. We are continually trying to build a solid team and the waitress' comments to you on the tipping are not acceptable. We are therefore doubly grateful to you for bringing it to our attention and will be using your review to intensify training on this issue. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Accra.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The reception was fantastic on our arrival. The staff were really helpful and allowed us an early check in. A bit expensive like most other quality hotels in Africa but totally worth it. Our room was huge and spacious with a beautiful seaside view. Breakfast could have been a bit better to be honest. Also the gate linking the hotel guests to the beach shut at 6pm, sometimes before which I found a bit annoying. Would my husband and I stay here again? Most certainly! The bathroom as well was v v v lovely and spacious, clean as well.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to La Palm Royal Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!