“Poor quality hotel with poor quality staff” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Barnes Road | PO Box 12720, Accra, Ghana   |
Special Offer
Accor weekend offer
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Accra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The positives of this hotel: accommodating staff, especially at the front desk; nice pool; very good restaurant and particularly good breakfast; the strongest internet signal I've experienced in the country with no difficulties signing in to it because it is "open"; location is perfect for me (though it would be tough to go for a walk); free transport to the airport almost hourly; room was well cleaned daily and they offer a complementary LARGE bottle of water daily; the soap, shampoo and shower gel were nice touches; the shower water was hot and the pressure was consistently strong; any power issues didn't last longer than 30 seconds; and my driver enjoyed being able to sit inside the main door when he waited for me. On the other hand ... as I was checking in the fellow who checked in prior to me came back to the desk to say that when he opened the door of the room they had assigned him, there was a woman sleeping on the bed. He was not happy. They re-assigned him another room, and off he went. (He was a good looking, very well dressed guy, so I'm not sure how the woman on the bed felt?) Anyhow, a bellboy brought me and my luggage to my room, and there was a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the knob. It turned out that the room was also in use by someone else. I'm not sure how they could make that error twice in a row. It took more than a few minutes to sort out, but I was shown to another room. After the bellboy left, I noticed that water was leaking from under the wall of the adjoining toilet area into the shower/sink area. It was enough that you were slopping around in it. They investigated, and changed my room once more. Anyhow, the room I ended up in was okay and I stayed for several days. The rooms are not large, and there is an oddity to the design in that the toilet is a separate room, right at the entry door, from the shower and sink. The television is good si tu parle en francais, though CNN, the BBC News and one English channel that seems to show an occasional movie and North American drama shows are available. The Novotel web site notes that they have a business centre (which was the main reason I switched), but in fact they do not have this. There are a couple of computers in the lobby that are free access and the staff told me that I could somehow print from them to somewhere .... . That is not what I'd call a business centre and didn't work for me as my work is confidential. However, other than the room issue, the stay went well. This hotel is not new and shiny (as per the Movenpick, but nor is it Movenpick pricing), nor is it small and quaint (like La Villa Boutique, but it has much better food and is quieter) but I'd come back to stay at the the Novotel for the breakfast and since I'll be returning to the country twice in the coming months ... I suspect it will be "hello Novotel." (Only somewhat related, I have stayed often at the Novotel, Hong Kong airport and Novotel in Vietnam, etc., but the ACCOR frequent stay program seems to provide no benefits to me. Even understanding that program is crazy difficult.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (3 or up) overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Novotel Accra C, General Manager at Novotel Accra City Centre, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Mickey Jay,

We thank you for posting your comments. Your positive comments have been well noted and attention will be paid to areas to be improved.

Customer satisfaction is our priority and therefore your feedback is important to us since it helps to maintain the quality.

Thank you and we look forward to your next stay in our hotel.

Accra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Novotel is indeed one of the plush hotel in Accra. It may be a 4-Star hotel, though not too sure.
It is situated on the Barnes Road.It has an international class of its own with very dedicated staff and very good facilities. It also serves as a place for conferences. It is refreshing to be at the pool-side.
It has a serene atmosphere and together with it's very good facilities one will not regret being there for whatever purpose.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Sambed33,

Thank you for posting your comments after your stay in our hotel
We very much appreciate your postive points and our staff will be infotmed about your feedback.

Customer satisfaction is our priority and we will work harder to maintain the good quality.

We look forward to your next stay in our hotel.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at this hotel the first two nights in Ghana. It was not extremely fancy by some standards but it was clean, safe and the power was on almost all the time. If you have been in Ghana you will understand how these are things you want.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim- Fletcher,

Thank yyou for posting your feedback after your saty in our hotel.

Your postive comments have been noted and our staff will be made aware of your contribution in projecting our hotel.

We will continue towork hard to maintain the quality as cutomer satisfaction is our priority.

Thank you.

Bernardsville, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Smallish room, typical airport hotel. I was there for two nights and they didn't make up the room after the first night stay. The bathroom amenities were good. The air conditioning unit was REALLY loud and sounded like it was on its way out. I couldn't get the tv to properly work and they said they'd send someone up to fix it but no one ever came. Wifi was free but very slow.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear Laurie b,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.

The contents have been well noted and attention will be paid to areas to be improved.

We regret any inconvenience resulting from the issues mentioned in your review.

It is our desire to provide good quallity service to our guests at all times.

Thank and we look forward to your next stay in our hotel.

Mozambique
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I enjoyed staying at Novotel very much. I love the rooms especially the double doors. The furniture was well arranged and still left enough space for me to do yoga. It was really nice to hang out at the lounges, piano bar and the pool area. And the internet connection was superb!

Small touches made my stay truly enjoyable: the handsoap supplied in the bath had such a lovely scent; the coconut juice and pulp served every morning at buffet, the generous variety of fruits especially passion/grenadilla, the pink salmon, the lemon juice with honey especially prepared for me when I was having throat irritation... And of course local Ghanaian dishes at buffet dinner. Simply wonderful.

Of course the best part was the lovely service. The restaurant staff provided excellent service. Assistance came quickly when I needed it, including housekeeping. Reception staff were also very friendly.

I found the service for alternative breakfast wanting, though. I had to leave very early (around 5AM) twice during my stay to do fieldwork. There was no offer to do packed breakfast and the lady managing the restaurant was not very accommodating. The few pieces of croissant for early birds simply was not enough especially as it was hard to find places to eat in the field. And the instant coffee, hmmm, could do better than that! I placed my order for breakfast on my door but it was not prepared for me.

The doorman service was also not very efficient. I would arrive many times without assistance to open the car door nor the hotel door. I needed it as I was bringing many bags with my work papers and laptop.

Back on to a positive note, I love the painting exhibitions. Ghana has two rising talents to watch out for: Kyo Nyerkoh and Seth Alifo.

I'd like to specially mention Philip Tetteh at reception. He was very accommodating and made sure I was well taken cared of. Novotel is definitely a place to go back to.

Thank you for a truly enjoayable stay. Meda wase pa!

Room Tip: The right wing, and even number rooms,has a better view of the pool from the window.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Dear Marie Sharon,

We thank you for posting your comments after your stay in our hotel.

The positive comments are appreciated and we have shared it with our team for them to be aware of your contribution and to continue with the good work.

Attention will be paid to the issues raised to improve upon them .

Customer satisfaction is our priority and we will work to maintain the quality.

Thank you.

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My employer chooses this hotel for stopovers in Accra. The room was basic but comfortable. it is worth taking a pair of slippers with you as the room floor is carpeted with a material that really should be laid outside rather than indoors. Hotel's perspective, it is very hard wearing though. I had the breakfast buffet and also a pizza on room service. These were both very good quality. The Internet was of reasonable speed and I had no issues with This during my stay. I wasn't able to rest before the flight home as the staff seemed to think it was acceptable to yell down the corridors to each other. This is a shame as overall the stay was quite good. The elevators didn't always work properly and one group of our party were stuck inside for five minutes without the hotel worked extremely concerned about this of course.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ianbeale,

Thank you for posting your comments after your stay in our hotel.

We will share your feedback with our team for them to be aware of thecontents.

The contents have been well noted and we will work hard to maintain good quality at all times.

Customer satisfaction is our priority and we look forward to serving you again.

Marc Frere

Been to Novotel Accra City Centre? Share your experiences!