“Clean, streamlined hotel in center city” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Accor weekend offer
Ranked #21 of 89 Hotels in Accra
US
“Clean, streamlined hotel in center city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is probably not a four-star hotel, but I'm rating it as such because I found it a comfortable, clean, and safe place with decent service and a nice setting and location. I'm very picky about cleanliness and this is one of the few hotels where I've felt comfortable unpacking and putting clothes directly on the (immaculate) shelves.

The lobby, like the rooms, is small but tastefully appointed. There is a little gift shop off the lobby where I was able to buy a local sim card for my phone for 10 cedi (about $7.50) that lasted me for about 10 days of local calls and data (yes, included getting and sending emails on my unlocked iPhone).

The service was average. Perhaps people at the front desk were trying to be helpful, but three people gave two different answers to the question (e.g., how much do I owe for 2 nights at the hotel).

I wish the hotel would provide maps of the surrounding area (just 1 sheet of a xeroxed map would be fine). When I asked if they had one, they didn't seem to understand what I was asking for. I told the two people at the front desk that I wanted to take a walk and wanted a small map to take with me. One of them then walked me over to a wall in the lobby where they have a huge map of the city hanging on the wall. I asked if they sold this map so I could buy it. Answer is no. No map at the front desk, no map at the little gift shop. Before you go to Ghana, get the Bradt guide to Ghana. It's great and has decent maps -- so I tore out the pages for Accra and was fine.

Breakfast was included in the room rate I got and it was quite good -- included pancakes, omelettes and eggs made to order, beans, sausages, and regular breads, yogurt, etc. The fresh fruit platter was not refilled often and I found I usually had to find a server to ask for coffee. Room service was okay; the pizza seemed to be the best bet altho if you haven't had a chance to try Ghanaian food elsewhere, where it's better (try Maquis Tante Marie in the Accra Mall -- great selection and good food), it's worth trying it here. Service was forgetful, with 2 of the 3 times I ordered requiring the server to go back to get a forgotten item. Nothing terrible, just inconvenient.

So, the room. Newly renovated and altho they are on the small side, they are very functional with a great desk and good lighting. There is a safe, coffee maker, and small fridge. One large bottle of water is supplied daily, a nice touch as often hotels put one in the room when you check in and that's it. I particularly liked that they provided both European outlets and the British/Ghanaian outlets. There is satellite TV with BBC, CNN, Euronews (captions were in English, audio was French) and a couple of Ghanaian stations, a couple of other African stations (not sure which countries), and one or two movie stations. Wifi was good (and free) for email and internet, but not always adequate for using Skype.

The bed was comfortable, linens clean. The bathroom was spotless, except for the tile floors which are new and apparently are staining badly so that there are water marks on the floor that make it seem that they've not been washed. Nice amenities are provided. The shower was fabulous -- great water flow and rain shower heads, but with a half glass shield on the shower leaving half open to the room. You have to be a bit careful about how you shower. The toilet is in a separate room, very convenient for 2 people sharing a room.

The A/C was not up to par in either room I had (was in and out of Accra during my trip to Ghana). In both rooms, I turned it to the max of 5 degrees Celsius and it never got close to that. In the other hotels I stayed at outside of Accra, I set the A/C between 21-22 degrees and I was fine -- so I assume the A/C at the Novotel does not get down to 22 degrees. I asked about this and was told that they'd remodeled and "perhaps" they needed to look into the A/C.

In addition to the remodeling glitches with the bathroom floors and the A/C, the new curtains in the rooms require patience and strength. They neither open nor close without considerable effort and I was sure I would end up bringing the whole apparatus down on me (I didn't and didn't even rip them, which I also thought might happen -- they seem made of some strange plastic/nylon fabric).

I would recommend this hotel altho there is a new Movenpick almost across the street that looks huge and may be worth trying. I've heard the prices there may be double the special rate I got at the Novotel ($135/night with breakfast). I do hope the Novotel can get some of the renovation mistakes taken care of as it is a great option in Accra.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a renovated room -- I think they've not yet finished the renovations.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
novaccra, General Manager at Novotel Accra City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
We are most grateful for taking some time off your schedule to post your comments about our hotel on trip advisor.

Your kind comments about the state of our hotel and the facilities available have been well noted. We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We have also noted your observations about the television channels, internet and the air conditioning.

Since feedback is from our clients is very important to us, your remarks have been shared with entire team and each department is handling their part to improve the working conditions of the gadgets.

Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel on your next trip to Ghana

Marc Frere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Damascus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

It was a pretty good decent for business traveler (mostly business travelers who're staying here). Food is not bad. Points for them includes free airport pick up and drop off, pretty central location, free wifi internet, nice warm pool, and working gym equipments, and should be quite value for money. Points taken away for smelly pillows (changed a couple) and the entire set up is quite dated, as well as slow and unreliable internet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
novaccra, General Manager at Novotel Accra City Centre, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for your trip advisor report about our hotel.

We have noted your positive as well as negative comments about the facilities in our hotel.
Your feedback is very important to us. Therefore, your concerns about the internet connection have been shared with our IT Department and they are doing all they can to improve its efficiency.

We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

rooms reinnovated

free wireless and caple internet

close to the airport

free pick up and drop off

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your taking some time off to post a comment about our hotel on our trip advisor page.

We have noted your positive comments about the facilities in our hotel and we appreciate the fact that you were happy and enjoyed your stay with us.

Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you another time in our hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I recently had the misfortune of staying in the Novotel in Accra Ghana hoping that staying in a international brand would assure me of a decent place. What I found was a tired, smelly dated hotel. You arrive with a guaranteed reservation to have to wait for a room to be ready. You ask to see the manager he tries to avoid you eventually after a scene we get some attention. You enter the dated room to find a room furnished with a piece this and a piece of that (possibly left over furniture from some rooms) broken furniture, holes in towels, a bedroom carpet that you are not sure it is safe to walk on wout risking catching some infection. The Tourist Board have already given them notice of possibly downgrade - Avoid this hotel and stay at the movenpick across the road.

Bernard Micallef

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time off to post a comment about our hotel on Trip Advisor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the negative experience you had on arrival and with the room which was allocated to you.

Currently, our hotel is undergoing a complete refurbishment of the rooms to enhance the status.

We assure you that we strive to provide comfortable rooms for our guests and to make their stay an enjoyable one.

Your concerns have therefore been shared with the team since your feedback is very important to us.

It is our hope that you will rescind your decision and give us the opportunity to serve you again in future.

Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

A friend who had previously been to Accra tried to talk me out of staying here, but we got a very good rate here as compared to other higher end hotels--which were close to $300/night (we paid only $135 including breakfast). The hotel was a very pleasant surprise--large rooms, good breakfast and friendly staff. Free internet was a bit spotty, but heck this is Africa. The hallways are a bit dark and have sort of a dorm-like atmosphere, but the rooms are newly renovated and quite pleasant. What really made for a pleasant stay were the friendly staff. Our flight home left at 11:15 pm and they allowed us a 5 pm check-out for no extra charge. We also rented a car and driver from Europe Cars in the lobby for $60/12 hours, which was very convenient. I would highly recommend this approach as a taxi alone one night to dinner cost $20. Hotel is well located and convenient to most sights, even though traffic is a nightmare. Will definitely stay here on our next trip!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel on trip advisor report.

Your encouraging remarks have been shared with the team because, we strive to provide our guests with the very best of service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

This is the second time I travelled to Ghana on business, but my first stay in this hotel. I can definitely recommend this hotel as it is comfortable, clean, the staff are very polite and the facilities are of a high standard in comparison to other 4star hotels in Ghana and greater West Africa.
Food selection at buffet meals was good. There is a lovely pool and small but well equipped gym. The room I stayed in was very comfortable and although the linen was a little old, it was always clean.

• Stayed June 2011
novaccra, Manager at Novotel Accra City Centre, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
We thank you for taking time to post a report about our hotel on trip advisor..

We have noted your positive comments about the facilities and service in our hotel and we appreciate the fact that you liked the services we rendered to you during your stay with us.

We have therefore, shared your comments with the team since your feedback is very important to us.

Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to our hotel.

Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The rooms have just been renovated and I must say that they have been well planned and an excellent business hotel room - lots of light and lots of plug points. I had a little difficulty accessing the WiFi and the hotel's IT adviser came up and relocated me to another room - very helpful indeed! The only feature of the hotel that I found less than good, which pulled my overall rating down, was the food. I think it could have been better. I will, however, not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
We thank you for your trip advisor report about our hotel.

We have noted your positive comments about the facilities and service in our hotel and we appreciate the fact that you liked our services and enjoyed your stay with us.

Your concerns have therefore, been shared with the entire team since your feedback is very important to us.

Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Marc Frere

Been to Novotel Accra City Centre? Share your experiences!