“Nice atmosphere... but TERRIBLE food” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #138 of 170 Restaurants in Accra
Cuisines: European
Accra, Ghana
“Nice atmosphere... but TERRIBLE food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I agree with the other reviews that this is a nice place to hang out, has great atmosphere and looks great. It's major major major let down, however, is it's food. I have eaten at La Villa three times and have felt utterly ripped off every time. The food is seriously over-priced and the quality is just really poor!! I just ordered what was supposed to be a "grilled chicken breast with green salad" - it was a pile of anaemic, watery shredded chicken and 4 (i am not kidding - 4) leaves of limp, old lettuce -- a very poor excuse for a salad. My husband had Spaghetti bolognese - the portion was tiny and taste was really not good - it was dripping in oil. I can make better at home for a fraction of the price. If you want a good meal really don't bother coming here - you will pay high prices for utterly disappointing under par food. They really need to sort this out if they expect to keep getting customers who live in town. The service is really average too - hard to get a waiter when you want one and they barely utter a word - most communication is in grunts - they seem pretty unhappy working here. For these prices you really seriously expect better.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Dinner Spot in Accra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was a great spot for dinner in Accra. I went with a group of colleagues and we all enjoyed our meals. The bread to start out is really good. I wanted to eat more, but didn't want to ruin my appetite!
The hotel it is in, La Villa, looked really nice too so I suggest trying it out. I definitely will next time I go back. It's a boutique hotel and we walked throught the garden/pool area which looked very nice and relaxing.
The restaurant itself was quiet and intimate with nicely-dimmed lighting. I think this would be a great date spot--we saw several couples dining while we were there.
The menu was good because there was a nice variety--it was not only pastas. I got the cannelloni and while it was a bit different, the taste was really good except for perhaps being a touch too salty.

Perfection:
-Our server was very attentive, personable, and accomodating to our rather loud and picky group. This was the best service I had while in Accra.
-Pina colada was soooo good! I had been craving one so got it and loved it. It was on the strong side, I felt it after just one so I didn't have another :)

Leaves Much to be Desired:
-Service was slow, however this is typical in Ghana, so with that in mind it was as fast or faster as you're probably going to get!
-After about 20 minutes of giving my order, I was informed that I could not have the seafood risotto. I was SO DISAPPOINTED because by the description it sounded great. There were 3 of us who'd wanted the risotto so we were sad not to have it. There was no explanation as to why, but it would have been nice to know as we were looking at the menu or when we tried to order it--not so much later.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Italian food in Accra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Soprano restaurant (at La Villa Boutique Hotel) delivered great Italian food during a dinner with family during a recent holiday in Ghana. While locals consider it pricy, it is quite reasonable by the European or North American standards which it matches for service and food. Unusually for Ghana, it has a decent and moderately priced wine list. The classic cannelloni is outstanding, and the fresh seafood dishes were very well done. There is patio seating around the pool, but we opted for the air conditioning inside. Friendly and welll trained staff.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Wonderfull atmosphere, the rest is... nightmare !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

!! My review is concerning only the restaurant !! (the hotel seems very good)
We wanted to try another new "place to be" in Accra : It started with a drink on the wonderful pool terrace. Indeed, the decoration and the place is amazing ! But appart from that, the place is not yet ready ; the coktail (15GHC double the usual price elsewhere) was a joke (Mojito) : almost no rum, to much sugar with non gas sprite and served after more than 20 minutes ! (there was no other guest !). We finaly decided to try the food. The starter we choos was supposed to be outstanding (30GHC !) with a selection of italian salamis and cheeses with olive oil. What finaly came was a small plate with 5 dry slices of salami from Koala ! I ask about the olive oil and cheese, than the olive oil came but "the cheese is finished" !! not a detail when you live abroad...The rest was very average. The pasta was small and overcooked. no dessert available that day ! Some friends told me it was a bad day because the cook was not there... not convinced... Again a place that "looks like" but and the end, nobody has a clue on what is good food, good service and good wine. My first and last !!

• Visited September 2011