“Very clean and nice to hang out at the pool or lounge.” 4 of 5 stars

The Aknac Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Trasacco Valley, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #7 of 154 Accra B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Very clean and nice to hang out at the pool or lounge.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I will start by saying I ate here and was given a tour by a staff member. I did not spend the night though. However, I would recommend this place because it is quite clean and the lounge has a real NYC feel type of lounge. A nice place to hang out and have a few drinks. The pool area is really nice and is also a wonderful place to hang out. Apparently on Fridays they have a live band. This is located next to the most expensive gated community in Accra known as Trasacco Valley. The one drawback is that you definitely need a car if you stay here because I would define it as a suburban local. The big advantage here is that their rates are much more reasonable than the other luxury hotels in Accra. If this was more centrally located you would be charged about $300.00 per night. This place is a secret gem in Accra. As long as you have a car this place is fine because there are places to go in East Legon which is essentially five minutes away without having to deal with downtown traffic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ellon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week in Febuary around or at the same time as the previous two reviewers. This Hotel is like less than 10 minutes walk from the main road as we walked for a taxi and its like no time at all if you can be bothered getting off youre backside and walking at all that is!!!! As soon as we arrived we found the reception staff most kind and helpfull. All the other staff in the whole Hotel were most polite and ALWAYS dressed in clean uniform even the guy who cleaned the pool every morning while i was having breakfast. We were led to our room through corridors that were brightly painted and just nice for the Hotel. I mean if you want five star corridors go to a five star hotel anyway who cares what the corridors are like when youre on Holiday as long as they are clean which they were always. Our room was lovely very clean and tidy with full air con and it was kept that way by the staff every day. The bed was lovely and comfy i slept no problem at all. The Hotel had a very COOL feeling because it was air conditioned and very pleasant indeed. I had breakfast every day which i couldnt fault but i never had evening meals but i had room service twice at night and couldnt fault the service or the food we got. I did see some of the AFCON matches in the room tv but then i didnt come here to watch football but it was handy sometimes. The tv was small but big enough for a Hotel room i mean you cant expect a big screen tv in every room can you???? Some tell me do you get Hotels in the word without stairs? Or does everyone expect to get lifts everywhere!!!!! All our sheets and towel were spotlessly clean always and i never smelt SMOKE ever in the room or the Hotel!!!! The bathroom was exactly as it looks on the website pic's and was spacious and perfect. Just to warn anyone who doesnt know the taxi drivers will rip you off if they think you are a tourist or you look like you are gullible enough but barter with them or agree the price before you move off!!!!!
There was one morning i was waiting for a friend to pick me up and was on the very comfy seats in the reception hall with the air con blowing on my it was heaven.ha.
I was disappointed not to get time to sit by the pool and go for a dip as it looked very inviting as it was being cleaned every day but i was just to busy when i stayed there but maybe another time as i wouldnt hesitate to stay here again as it was nice quiet clean friendly Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I travelled to this hotel during the same period as the previous reviewer...how odd? was this the same hotel?? (some people are just malicious! staceyayo)

I had a wonderful stay at this place and just to be clear- It is literally around the corner from the beautiful Trasacco Valley Estate!

I came to this hotel following a recommendation from a friend that had previously stayed and nothing but good things to say. I was also there during the "DIVA" event which looked fantastic. The ladies that I encountered were selling beautiful African items. Yes, it was busy but hey- thats how hotels are sometimes. Despite the busy buzzy atmosphere I received great service from the moment I stepped in there. The staff were just wonderful- very helpful and attentive, especially the receptionists and the waiters. I stayed in a junior suite which was very comfy, clean and spacious. The Tv channels available were good with great current movies showing a international new channels. I didnt eat in the restaurant but room service was fast and meals were good!. The pool area is relaxing with a nice poolside bar to chill in in the evenings.

The only downside to the hotel was some of the finishing in the room, I actually mentioned this to the receptionist and was informed that the management are in the process of making preperations to renovate some of the rooms and fixing such issues. Once this is done, I'm pretty sure that this will be classed as one of the best in Accra!

I would definately recommend this hotel to others and it would be an absolute pleasure to return again. Well done to the management for creating such a beautiful hotel!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I saw that this hotel was highly rated on TripAdvisor so we decided to spend a night there while in Accra. We know Trasacco Valley area as being a nice area, so we took a taxi over there. It was NOT in what I would consider Trasacco Valley, it's more like OFF of Trasacco Valley. We walked into the reception area and there was a big gala of sorts going on in there, with tables set up selling anything from handbags to paper towels. Women were all dressed up and snapping their photos in every corner chanting the word "DIVAS" all about. We inquired about the room rate at which they told us it was $131 USD. We told them that we saw the rate online lower than that, but they would not honor the price we saw online. The receptionist was less than helpful as we asked questions or tried to talk to her. We asked to see a room...so they had us sit on the couch and wait for someone to come show us to a room. We felt very awkward and out of place sitting amongst all these people who were there for some event. We felt like two people who were crashing a wedding reception or something. Finally a young man came to show us to a room...he was dirty from head to toe and we thought they must've pulled him in from cleaning the pool or something to come show us a room. He brought us up about 3 flights of stairs...the facility was dusty, and had a very cold feeling and all the upstairs corridors felt like something in a prison or state run hospital. He opened a few doors and we started to enter until we realized the rooms were occupied...so we said sorry sorry....as we backed out of the other guests rooms!! He finally found an empty room to show us..It was below average.....i felt the bed and it was hard as a rock...literally. the decor was below average, cleanliness below average. etc. Mostly, my husband wanted to watch the AFCON match that was soon to start so he specifically asked if they had DSTV which the guy replied YES. We've seen worse in Ghana and we were tired, the match was about to start...so we decided to just stay! We went back downstairs and told the receptionist that we'd take it. She sent us back to the couch with the dirty man and a paper to fill out. Once we paid for the room, the man took us back up three or four flights of stairs and brought us to another room! what?? wait... what about the room they had just showed us? Isnt that the room, they were booking us into? He opened the door to a different room and all i could smell was cigarette smoke. If I thought the first room looked dingy, believe me, this room made the first one look like something from Beverly Hills. I said, no way..this room stinks...so he said wait please....so we waited, he came back to bring us to yet another room. This one was still not even as good as the first crappy one we saw, but I was fed up and just told him OK and he left. Talk about bait and switch!! My husband shortly found out that there was no DSTV, just the local channels, and had to ask the man to come try to get the game to come on...which he did but it looked horrible. The TV is small to begin with and the picture quality was horrific. I plugged in my laptop and the internet worked pretty well. I was starving and there are no stores nearby so I reluctantly ordered from their room service menu. 5 cedi for a bottle of water that costs 1 cedi at the market. 7 cedi for a tiny portion of french fries and 20 cedi for the worst pizza (if you can call it that) I've ever tasted...even for Ghana standards. Sitting on the bed was a joke, I couldn't even imagine trying to sleep on it and the blanket had stains all over it. The bathroom has a nice modern sink like it shows on the website's photo...but the bathtub area where the pipes are, had a big square hole cut out of it exposing the insides of the wall and the pipes...I'm guess some sort of work had to be done on it and they just never fixed the wall back. the whole bathroom felt cramped and creepy. after a total of about 3 hours spent in the room...it was now about 5 in the evening. I couldn't take it anymore and begged my husband for us to leave. We knew we'd never get our money back if we asked them for it, so we just dropped the key and left. There are no taxi's or anything around there, so we had to have them call a taxi guy to come pick us up and by doing so, he charged wayyy too much! I would never ever ever go to this dingy place again or even recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Southwick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip in November and was very well looked after. The hotel is located very close to the affluent area of Trassecco Valley, and is about 15 - 20 minutes drive from the airport. The bar service was brilliant and the room was well presented. If you want to go for a few drinks in the evening it will take about 15 - 20 minutes to get to the main bar areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed in January just after Christmas through the New Year. This is a lovely hotel; not only by Ghanian standards, but by European standards. The pictures actually don't do the place justice. I was very pleasantly surprised having stayed in a "3 star" hotel elsewhere in Ghana. The Aknac, although a little challenging to find at first, is a lovely, stylish, well maintained, safe, very very clean hotel with polite, cheerful, helpful staff. In fact they are so attentive it feels like a home away from home in a stylish setting.

Like all hotels in Ghana there were minor hiccups with the room (the key stopped working the last night so I had to move rooms), but everything was dealt with swiftly and very efficiently. I stayed nine days and got to know Michelle, Nana and Rachel who were all very helpful with local information, taxis and special requests in the restaurant. My only criticism is the music: it went from loud, Afrobeats/dancehall to Dolly Parton's greatest hits. Not the sort of music you really want relaxing around their lovely swimming pool. This is well worth a stay. Trassacco Valley is a good location and the Aknac is a new, good place to to lay your head, relax and have a cocktail. It's where I'd stay again if I visit Ghanian again. Enjoy.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had an enjoyable 2 night stay at this hotel. airport pick up was free which was a bonus considering reasonable rates per night. My room was comfortable with good internet access. Room service was efficient and food nice. Staff professional and welcoming. General hotel atmosphere was relaxed which was a good ending to a hectic trip. If I were to return to Ghana I would stay here again and would also be glad to recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Aknac Hotel? Share your experiences!