“Very clean & comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

The Aknac Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Trasacco Valley, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #7 of 160 Accra B&B and Inns
Ireland
“Very clean & comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Generally very good. A long way from the centre of town with traffic. Took over an hour from airport one evening, other times, this took about 30 minutes. Staff generally very helpful. Unfortunately very bad service on our last day meant we had to leave without lunch, despite letting them know what time we were to depart & ordering 45 minutes in advance. No aircon in the gym - or at least no-one to be found to turn it on - this was on the same day as we left, so perhaps there was a staffing issue. I'd still recommend this clean, safe hotel with reliable wifi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I trave a lot and stay in hotels all over the world. Being a frequent traveler to West Africa I am aware that hotels can be hit and miss. I discovered The Aknac Hotel while I was already in Ghana. My business partner and myself first went there to check the facilities before we risked leaving the current hotel which we were not entirely happy with. We were very happy with the helpful and friendly staff and the clean / new nature of the hotel so we decided to try. We ended up staying there for the next 3 weeks and we will always go back there. They have ample parking and car hire / taxis and travel are easily arranged. It is perfectly located so that you can get anywhere within the city or out of it quickly and safely. It is also perfectly located if you need to travel to Tema Port also. The owners are British and are some of the nicest people I have ever met and they truely understand and try very hard to have all customers happily satisfied. I love them! Ahem... We love them... :)

Room Tip: All rooms are really great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had a wonderful stay in this fabulous hotel. I stayed in a poolview jr suite and slept very well. Room service was prompt with all meals well prepared. Staff are well trained at this hotel which is an asset given the poor customer service skills very apparent in this country! I felt very relaxed, safe and comfortable within The Aknac and would definately recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The service at the aknac hotel was superb customer service was brilliant
I loved the decor and atmosphere was great . Facility was good clean pool, 24hr access to the gym which was very useful . I loved the breakfast and security was friendly

• Stayed August 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

As a frequent traveller I love getting a lot out of my money after staying in movenpick I thought to myself why not check and see if you can save money and get service in accra?firstly if this is your first time in Accra do not stay here ,if you have business in accra central don't stay here! Its in a residential area so most taxi drivers are clueless and unless you posses a gps in your head its not advisable. Breakfast was so bland! I almost ran to the kitchen to recook the meals :)or maybe am too finicky.decor is okay,imaginative but mostly shoddy work the hotel won't last one more year if propercare isn't taken. Service could be better .All in all its a 3 star property at 131 usd I expected more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Absolutely beautiful hotel, lovely ambience, nice food especially the breakfast, brilliant efficient staff couldnt fault them at all, they were always on hand when needed, all in all a great stay, definitely going back for Christmas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had a limited pleasure of staying in this hotel while traveling to various countries in Africa. I feel obligated to share my experience in order to let other people to make informed choice while considering staying in Aknac hotel.

Location:
The hotel is located in a residential area quite far from downtown. if you take into account traffic in Accra it feels even longer to get to some location of interest so make sure that you have extra money for taxi. taxi drivers typically do not bargain but you can "rent" them for several hours and then you can negotiate the price.

Building and amenities:
The hotel was built recently which it is quite visible. The design is very raw and ascetic. It does not feel comfortable to seat in the lobby. It reminds rather a regular apartment building than a hotel.
There is an elevator but... it was not working. Be prepare to carry your luggage.
There is a swimming pool but due to weather I did not see anyone using that.

Restaurant:
Eating at the restaurant was our bigger fear. Since the hotel is located far away from anything, we had to use the restaurant twice. In one instance the burger was raw and packed with ginger and I can only suspect why. Waiting time for food is surprisingly long taking into account that there were not a lot of people. Overall, food is not a strong point of this hotel and you may choose eating in a shopping mall which is located 10-15 minutes away by taxi.
The restaurant serves as well breakfast but the choice is limited (5-7 items). You have to come with a plate to a chef (?) and decide what you want to get on your plate. As far as I enjoy breakfast in hotels, I did not look forward to eat what was served there.

Rooms:
The room I (and my friend) got was quite spacious. However, you could feel quality of items is very low and some things were already damaged or worn (keeping in mind it is a new hotel). The bed was very hard but I have to say that I liked that since I felt comfortable and slept well. The room was equipped with a TV and AC.
You are given only one key (a card) to the room which is very inconvenient if there are two or more people staying in the room. I could not take a shower if my roommate was expected to come back to the room. It was very annoying especially in the morning when I was coming back from breakfast and I had to wake him up to let me in. Power is off if the key is not in the room.

Service:
I had mixed feelings concerning service. I believe that they were trying to do their best but there are sever points that make this facility not fully a hotel.
First good things. We came early in the morning and we were given temporary space to put our luggage and refresh ourselves. Employees were overall very nice. However...
Room service was below any expectations. Some of trash on the floor waited two days to be cleaned up despite we requested service every day. Soap, shampoo and toilet paper were not replenished till the last day when I went and asked a receptionist to provide some.
It took a long time to be serviced by a waiter or waitress. It was surprising since there was more of them than actual guests. Once, I was given a menu by a leaving guest since he saw me sitting for a long time without being served.
I want to emphasize that they were very nice but incompetent.

Overall, if I ever come back to Ghana, I will not choose Aknac hotel since even budget motels and hotels in the U.S. provide much higher standard especially in terms of service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TheAknacHotel, General Manager at The Aknac Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Krzysztof R,
Thank you for your recent review of The Aknac Hotel. As an establishment who strives to exceed each and every one of our guest’s expectations we are sorry that on this occasion we have not fulfilled your requirements.

You stated in your review that our hotel design is raw and ascetic. As I am sure you can appreciate, architecture and interior design will be perceived differently by each and every individual who encounters it. Our decor is contemporary and bespoke and although that may not be suited to your personal taste, the majority of our guests choose to stay at our hotel for the interior design alone. Our website is very visual in showing our guests exactly what each space looks like in order to help them to make an informed choice.

We are a new establishment and are as yet unfinished in some areas including the elevator as you rightly noted. We have many porters on hand however to assist our guests with their luggage.

We also carry out periodic maintenance on the hotel and employ local craftsmen to design and make our bedroom furniture. We believe in supporting the local community in which we reside and are sorry that these fixtures and fittings were beneath the quality of which you are used to.

It is unfortunate that you found our choice of breakfast limited; we have taken your views into consideration and have extended our breakfast menu to suit our guests.

We appreciate any feedback from our customers, so we are unsure as to why you did not approach any of the management team regarding your ‘long wait’ for food or your ‘raw burger’. We cannot deal with any problems if they are not brought to our attention. We would have been more than happy to deal with these issues had they been mentioned.

Again, the same goes for room service which is carried out daily. Had we been made aware that your room had not been cleaned we would have carried this out straight away.

We value your custom and are sorry that you felt a disservice from us on this occasion.
All of your points have been taken into account and we will address each one of them.

Kind regards
Adjoa Adusei (General Manager)

Been to The Aknac Hotel? Share your experiences!