“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 154 Accra B&B and Inns
Gaziantep, Turkey
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We first arrived to Accra and booked this place not knowing how it would be. The owner met us at the airport himself, and gave us a mini tour on the way to the hotel (in his air conditioned car) which proved very useful to get our bearings. We were surprised at how clean and nice the place was, how green and filled with flowers, and how friendly not only the owners were, but the staff as well.

Laundry was more than affordable and very prompt. The breakfast was quite simple, but included in the affordable room cost, and flexible with the timing. The owners (Seth and Dorothy) made sure that all of our needs were met. Anything that had to be fixed or improved was done so immediately. When the internet wasn't working on our iPad, I was a bit stressed as I was about to have an interview for an important job. Seeing this, Seth offered to lend me his personal one in order to make sure I didn't miss my interview. This kind of human, lovingly kind touch is rarely found, and is extremely appreciated. As you can see from other reviews, Seth and Dorothy demonstrated a loving hospitable nature, and this place is a must stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the older (bigger) rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
It is good to know that the little acts of kindness and attenttion to detail are appreciated. Our goal is to make our visitors experience a little comfort in the midst of the hectic life in Accra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was staying at Osda house whilst doing some work at Korle Bu Hospital. The location was perfect and Mr and Mrs Asare were great hosts. The place is immaculate. All the staff are very helpful and some good tips on what to do and where to eat. Being vegetarian having access to a kitchen was great. Thank you for the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are grateful and thankful for the opportunity to serve people. We believe that anything we can do to put a smile on another's face is worth doing. We want everyone to feel at home with us.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Not for those seeking sybaritic indulgence, the rooms at Osdahouse are very simple. The whole place is immaculate, however, the owners and staff are outstanding, and the prices are fairly miraculous in a city of hotel-prices-gone-bananas. The biggest downsides are food (there is only a very simple breakfast) and lack of local transport. The solution that worked ideally for me was to accept the recommendation of the owners and hire a taxi driver names John Quarshie to ferry me around for a flat USD 10/hour. Pricey maybe, but a very good deal, because he was exceptionally helpful and trustworthy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for that objective review. Our hope is that people will make their choice after considering all the factors and the price value. We enjoy serving people and relating to them as our guests.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed four nights at Osda House on our recent trip to Accra. We rented the two bedroom flat and it was a perfect place to relax and get some respite from the busy pace of Accra.

The flat was immaculately clean, and includes a basic kitchen and air conditioned bedrooms. Lots of room to spread out and relax. Osda House is an incredible bargain as well as, in Accra, hotel rooms routine run over US$200 per night.

Seth, Yaa Dorothy and their staff made us feel very welcome. We will stay at osda house whenever we are in Accra and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Guests like you make it all worthwhile. We love to serve. A helping hand here and there is always appreciated. More so if it helps to keep planet earth around for the next generation,
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

OSDA House provides a welcome respite from the hustle, bustle and high prices in Accra. Seth and Dorothy (aka Yaa) and their staff are caring and attentive hosts, making us feel most welcome day or night.

We stayed in the two bedroom flat and loved it. Lots of space, air-conditioned bed rooms, large living-room and kitchen, and a screened in patio. There is a refrigerator to keep things cold, a gas range, a microwave, and some basic cooking utensils.

The lodge is near Korle Bu Hospital and close to central Accra via Jamestown. We used it as our base of operations for a four day visit to Accra and will definitely be back next time we are in town.

Medaase OSDA House!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Yes it is true that the discount is in the price. One gets more for their money. We are delighted that people are realizing that. We will strive to do better all the time.
Elgin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Pricing: I selected a single bed room and was very pleased with the price USD 45/night (they also have other rooms and a 2 bedroom flat). Seth and Dorothy, the owners, offered Wi-Fi and use of their 110 volt laptop at no additional price.

Also included was a great morning breakfast starting at 0730 hours. Eggs, bread or toast, pineapple and other fruits slices, juice, coffee, teas, and instant chocolate drink were provided every day. What really impressed me was their diabetic strawberry jam and orange marmalade on the breakfast table. Breakfast was a good time to meet other guests from the USA, UK, Finland, Burkina Faso and other countries.

Place: Very comfortable bed, different keys for the room and for the wardrobe cabinets (which included a mirror, hangers, drawers and shelves) were provided at check-in. A desk and chair were nice especially for storing all the gifts and trinkets I bought to give to family and friends after returning home. Each room has a self-controlled air conditioner with automatically rotating up and down vents (or static if so selected) and a turbo to increase AC air flow. I think the AC was programmable down to 16 Centigrade (61 Fahrenheit) and there was also a five-speed ceiling fan.

A western style and very efficient toilet was always clean. Hot water for the shower and soap were available (you should turn the heater on an hour or two before showering and turn it off after your shower - to help save energy). Shower drained very well - a bath mat was also available.

Rooms are serviced every day except Sundays. They changed my beddings quite often with a different patterned bedspread each time. My room had marble floors and an inside window and outside window, both with drapes.

A mini-fridge was in my room and it easily held sixteen 500 ml water bottles (holds 1.5 liter bottles as well). Laundry service is available, quite reasonably priced and if turned in early in the morning its ready in the afternoon. An LCD TV was in my room, best reception in the mornings and evenings; but CNN, BBC and Al Jezzera, local TV stations with music and I think soap operas were viewable.

The OSDA House has a very large generator that starts up when the city's electricity goes down (a couple times while I was there and then generator kicked back on very quickly). There is a patio area with games on the tables. There is a conference/meeting room with a big screen TV, 110 converter box and a microwave.

The OSDA House has 24 hour CCTV surveillance with seven or more cameras. Concertina wire surrounds entire compound and I always felt very safe; double locked inside hinges at the entrance to the OSDA House - push the outside ringer and they will promptly unlock it for you to enter.

People: Seth, Dorothy and every member of their staff were consistently friendly, courteous, kind, helpful and thoughtful of their customers. Seth picked me up at the airport and gave me a short tour of the main area of Accra and ultimately returned me to the airport for ten dollars each way. Seth helped arrange for me to volunteer at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital so I could learn more about HIV/AIDS in Western Africa and especially Ghana. They also put up holiday lights on one of their trees as I was there 11-21 December 2012. One of the staff let me attend a charismatic church service with him. English is spoken by most people I met in Accra; however, my Twi name (local language spoken by over seven million people) is Kwadwo which means I was born on a Monday - see the group picture of the four Kwadwo's.

TIPS: Get a copy of their business card for trips back as it has phone numbers to give to taxi drivers to call for directions. Negotiate the taxi fare and agree to a fixed price before you get in the taxi (then give them a tip on top of your fare and make their day - tipping is not the norm in Ghana). OSDA House will direct you to where to get a taxi. Look inside the OSDA House buildings to appreciate a variety of paintings of Christ's life from a Ghanaian viewpoint. Get your immunizations especially yellow fever or they will not let you enter the country. I never got sick the whole time I was there but was tired after working at the teaching hospital.

Give the staff a gracious gratuity when you leave, remember Ghana is a third world country and the tip will be appreciated and for me, each and everyone deserved it (I gave Seth funds to hand out to the staff for me).

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
It is gratifying to observe the exent that our guests will go to review our facility. This is indeed a comprehensive overview of what truly happens at Osda. The pictures of the grounds and the extension are superb. hanks for your candid comments.
Fairmont, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed for five days at osda a couple of weeks ago. It was a home away from home. I traveled as alone to Ghana as a female and was nervous. However I felt very safe and the location was wonderful. I walked around the neighborhood alone multiple times and felt so safe. The people of Ghana were lovely. My husband and I will stay at Osda when we return and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Accra. Thank you Seth and Dorothy!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
We are very conscious of the challenges people face when they travel into a new environment. Our goal is to make people feel at "home" as much as possible at Osdahouse.

Been to Osdahouse Home Lodge? Share your experiences!