“A Decent Hotel in a Quiet Suburb” 4 of 5 stars

Mirage Royale Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1st Mirage Avenue, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #51 of 166 Accra B&B and Inns
New York City
“A Decent Hotel in a Quiet Suburb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This boutique hotel was located in the East Legon section of Accra, only about 15 minutes from the airport. The staff was consistently like first-class flight attendants: eager to please, kind, thoughtful, and attentive. The room was fine: the bed with a firm mattress was comfortable and the room was clean. It was twenty steps to the second floor – there was no lift. Rooms on the third floor entailed an additional 20 step climb!

Although the very large bathroom could have fit a bathtub, it featured a shower which had its own issues. The water did not drain quickly enough (a repetitive complaint of former TripAdvisor reviewers) so there was always a sizable stream of water flowing onto the floor. (Hint: if you are from overseas, remember not to ingest shower water through your mouth or nose to prevent becoming ill). There was rarely a full complement of towels: either a wash cloth and/or hand towel (or both) was missing. The soap was replaced once during our six day stay.

On the weekend there was a private party by the pool courtyard where the sound system could qualify as a weapon of mass destruction. Fortunately it ended before midnight because even earplugs could not abate the noise to acceptable levels. At other times, I was not aware of sound coming from other rooms. (Although the pool was inviting, from a health perspective it would have been too risky to swim in it since it is virtually impossible not to ingest pool water).

While the cost of the room was negotiated, it would have been thoughtful for the hotel to have included an ample supply of bottled water, as we could not drink tap water anywhere in Ghana for health reasons. (There was an upscale, American-style shopping mall only a ten minute walk away with a supermarket).

The remote controlled air conditioner was efficient, but sometimes spontaneously turned off. I found that leaving it at 18°C was a bit chilly, but prevented it from independently turning off. The television in my room took three days to be reprogrammed for it to be operable. The remainder of the time I was able to access CNN as well as the unique Ghanaian soap operas!

Because of an acute sensitivity to sound (such as neighbouring barking dogs) I found that Mack’s earplugs (a wax-based product) were the most effective (which I use in most hotels around the world).

The Mirage Royale was a pleasant hotel that was reasonably managed. I do not think it is an unrealistic suggestion for the hotel to provide bottled water. The electricity worked. The water worked. The air conditioning worked. The staff was consistently lovely. Would I return there? Yes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Mirage Royale was a late new choice for me as I had short notice for my trip to Accra. I wasnt able to get my regular hotels but saw very favourable reviews about the Mirage and so I went for it.

No regrets! The four things we look for in this type of venue were all present. The proximity to Shoprite was brilliant since all drivers knew the traffic avoiding back route. The quality of the rooms is very good, coming across as modern, neat and homely.. The architecture is a big plus, with a very inviting pool well positioned in the centre of the venue. And finally the service is courteous , polite and real! Special mention must go to the GM Ginette who personalised the experience with a very warm call on my arrival. These touches make all the difference. I was a pain in the neck to the great front office staff as we channel surfed to cater to my various sporting interests. They delivered fully and with a smile. Lina , Clemintina and a friendly gentleman in a red shirt, were absolute stars.

Yes I will become a regular and they what us my first review of anything on the net!

• Stayed October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The plane carrying me from Nigeria through Accra broke down in Accra and the airline put us up in various hotels, including the Mirage Royale. It was midnight, we were frustrated and tired, and we found out upon arrival that we had to "share rooms" as the property was too small to accommodate such a large group. In whisked General Manager Ginette Symenouh who encouraged us to view the accommodations, which turned out to be extremely large apartment/condominium/timeshare set-ups that were very clean, comfortable and made what could have been an awkward situation quite pleasant. She called in their new French chef who whipped up fried chicken and french fries and opened the bar to us (again, it was after midnight). The next day, the hotel served breakfast, lunch and an early dinner before we departed for the airport. During this whole time, Ginette was ever-present, always smiling and asking us how she could make the stay more pleasant. If you stay at the Mirage, be sure to introduce yourself to Ginette - she is truly delightful and gem in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GinetteChristelle, General Manager at Mirage Royale Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Holly, Thank you very much for your review. We are more than happy to go the extra mile for our customers. You are the reason why we exist. Hope that you will visit us again very soon. warmest regards, from the entire staff.
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

after reading all those good comments we booked for 5 nights in a executive room .The room was clean and big ,clean bathroom and good bed , staff was helpfull
but ,the furniture was very dammaged , the ac leaked so that in a morning half of the floor was wet ,breakfast was very poor ,even not real coffee, the pool was not clean as the filtering system was out , even the juccuzi was not working
in the restaurant half of the menu was not available
one evening they had no roomkeys anymore so that they have to open the doors with the masterkey
when checking out the bill made by the computer was wrong and had to be adapted
we will not go there anymore , the rate is too high for such an hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
KathrynSlev, General Manager at Mirage Royale Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We thank you for choosing Mirage Royale Hotel during your stay in Ghana. The management and Staff of our Hotel take our reviewers comments seriously and look into all issues when raised. Our hotel has a very high maintenance culture but sometimes we are helpless when they are beyond our control. We apologise for the water leakage from the air conditioner in your room and the bedside table that was pealing at the bottom has been repaired. The pool engine and filter have also been fixed. We are soirry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and would like to let you know that you are teh reason why we are here so your commenst and suggestions are of utmost importance to us. We do not want you to stay wit this impression so will appreciate if you can contact us at reservations@mirageroyalehotel.com. Regards
Biloxi, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I lodged at Mirage Royale Hotel for for 2 nights on a business trip
it was recommended to me by a client and i was not disappointed at all.

The location of the hotel makes it very convenient to move around the city
The staff is very pleasant, and helpful.

The hotel rooms are clean and very modern.nicely
decorated and above all the bed is really comfortable ( it was in an ambassadorial room)

all request were quickly attended to and sorted out.
i will always recommend Mirage royale hotel to whoever comes to Ghana

my stay was overwhelming and i simply loved it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

i stayed at mirage royale hotel for 4 days and it was a nice
experience. A trusted friend had recommended it to me,so i knew it was
going to be a nice place to stay.
My friend met me at the airport and about 10 minutes drive, we got to
the hotel.
A very modern boutique hotel situated in a serene environment which i
later got to know was a place called East Legon.

At mirage royale,we met a very friendly and smart looking front desk
staff. my room,which was a mirage suite was so beautiful and cozy and
above all very neat.

During my 4 days stay, i only ate at their restaurant twice,but was very
pleased with each meal.
Their food and drink are of very high standard and i felt my every need
was catered for.

All the staff members i came in contact with were friendly and very
attentive. not far away from the hotel is the A&C shopping mall,which
made my shopping needs very convenient.

This had been my second stay in Accra though i stayed with a friend the
first time i was in Ghana.
but with what i've experienced at mirage royale hotel,i can confidently
say i have a home in Ghana.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
accra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

i stayed here for 3 days.and i must say, it was the best experience i ever had.everything was on point.situated in a hide-out where you have your peace.a serene atmosphere with a great customer service team.i must say,it was my best ever stay in a hotel.personally,i didnt face any challenges and i bet will surely lodge there any time i am in town

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mirage Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!