“Good prices, good service, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Venue

The Venue
East Legon, Adjiringanor | East Legon, From American HSE Towards Adgiringanor, 3rd Street Left., Accra +233, Ghana
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 159 Restaurants in Accra
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Accra, Ghana
“Good prices, good service, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I've been hearing about The Venue since I moved to Accra 3 years ago, but given that I live in Cantonments, didn't feel like fighting traffic to go for dinner. I finally made it. The decor is above-average for the city and is well maintained. The menu is broad and the prices offer great value. I had the escargots and the seafood bake, and both were good. My son had the lobster macaroni and enjoyed it. My husband had the schnitzel and said it was ok. We will return.

Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

My friends and I have been studying in Ghana for the past semester and over these 4.5 months we have come to The Venue on almost a weekly basis. As a long-term vegetarian I can most certainly say that the Vegetarian pizza at The Venue is the best I've EVER had. Just be prepared to take some home because it is gigantic. I'll definitely miss it when I'm gone!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“Mixed results”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were a party of 8 celebrating at what we expected to be one of Accra's better restaurants. Not so this time. Several of us did not finish our main courses. Much room for improvement in the kitchen, or the supervision of it, we felt.

Visited September 2013
Rome, Italy
“Nice atmosphere pizza was not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wow, nice atmosphere, full of expats. The appetizers were delicious including hummus, roasted zucchini, and feta cheese. After the great appetizers the pizza was a surprising dissapointment. The sauce somehow was either too little and not flavorful enough or too much, as it might have been better with just cheese and something else. I don't think the pizza was poor just because I live in Italy - I am applying an unbiased open palette approach to the recipe.

Visited September 2013
Accra, Ghana
“Thr location was just as hard to find like the burger they served us!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

First I want to say the previous reviews are the ones that influenced our visit to 'the venue'. partner and I enjoy good in general, however we enjoy the kind of food you can't or wouldn't want to cook at home (reasons could be:out of laziness or just to enjoy some nice time out..etc). We have discovered a couple of good local restaurants in and outside of Accra and based on the reviews we were looking forward to adding 'the venue' on the "come back again' list. That however is very unlikely to happen. For several reason, but most and for alwith writing a review shows how disappointed I was.
GETTING THERE:
The first issue is finding the restaurant in itself. In hindsight it seems so easy to get there, but it wasn't. It took several turns, calling the staff and stopping and asking strangers until we finally found THE VENUE. In the end the GPS navigation that got us there( I usually don't like relying on it, but 'hey-ho' it worked). As several people have said before it's more of a residential area and you wonder why they won't at least have a bigger sign that helps the hungry and hopeless know they are about to reach their destination. On that note it could also be that the owner is happy with the Restaurant remaining an "insider" and not attracting every Tom, Dick and Harry. So our experience started off quite poor.

THE LOCATION:
However, once we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the staff. The location itself was nice and quiet ...more reasons why I wondered why the outdoor tables were only two and poorly maintained. ( I hope by now you don't think I am just being unfair, but hey according to the reviews the location was great). I would have loved to sit outside as the weather was just about right in Accra...a nice breezy evening. So once the lady asked us to follow her to our table (table for two) we were surprised by the darkness of the room. As soon as we mentioned this,she turned on the lights and 'voila' the room turned out to be lovely. The dark ,yet warm colors created a comfortable and smooth environment to dine and wine in style. We received the menu and for a change we appreciated the variety of the foods offered.
FOOD & DRINKS:
According to previous reviews the pizza and lobster wasn't the best...so we decided to go for something filling,yet tasty and hard to get wrong ...the classic beef burger with a twist ( in this case it was a spicy beef burger with ham) and for an extra 5er you would get a side of chips. We also ordered drinks...I went for the homemade glass of white wine and my partner had Peroni. The drinks were almost immediately at our table and since there is nothing to say about a bottled peroni...there was much more to the white wine. It looked like cider that stood too long and tasted like some wine that was diluted with lots of water. I was utterly disappointed, since I hadn't had white wine in ages and to taste their 'home made' white wine was a big let down. The only good thing was the temperature of it...perfectly chilled!

We asked for some nuts with our drinks and the waiter was friendly enough to prepare us a small bowl. Which was super nice of them. I would have preferred peeled nuts, but hey the unpeeled did their purpose and kept us busy whilst waiting. After roughly 20 min and an empty bowl we wondered what took them so long. I think 50min later and after asking the waiter whether they had forgotten us, the food finally arrived.

After starving for almost an hour the content on the plate looked tiny. The presentation was great...you could literally see the cheese melting on the meat and the ketchup was served on a cute tiny bowl which made the food look sophisticated. Though I would have liked more chips or some salad on the side, but it was okay.

Now the most crucial and important bit...how was the Burger?
Well....I have eaten one spicy beef burger so far and I thought the chilli was overpowering and made the whole burger inedible. The chilli in this burger was just right, the cheese and ham were delicious, however the huge let down was the minced meat aka burger. It was as hard as a stone (no kidding). I thought it was only mine, but both beef burgers were tough to get through. It just brought down the overall experience at' the venue' considering the aforementioned issues.

OVERALL:
We were asked how the food tasted by someone who looked like the owner...unfortunately by then we hadn't reached the burger . We ate the food regardless...we didn't want more disappointments or waiting time and decided to skip the dessert, though the food was not satsfying at all. ( ended up eating some take away later that evening).

If you have read this far I assume you take reviews just as serious as I do. Having said that...I still think making your own experience is always the best way to judge.

My review is only this long because I wanted to share the good and the bad.

Give 'the venue a go if you feel adventurous.

PS: the toilets were clean and that is very important to me. Also they seem to have a huge variety of drinks ...

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere