“Great base for Accra” 3 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Accra
Elmeiz Place Guest House
No.12 Awula Meeya Street, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #31 of 142 Accra B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great base for Accra”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

As a first timer to Ghana, we appreciated the pickup arrangements from the airport!!!
What attracted us to the elmeiz was that it was a small family run guest house and that they used solar power !!!
The guest house is situated around 30 minutes from the airport away from the typical tourist spots
Great service received from all the staff, in particular the reception staff. The room was big and airy - great choice of air conditioning or ceiling fans.
The only downside is that breakfasts are basic and the bathroom could do with a new makeover.
Apart from that it is good value for money!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Yes I did as a matter of fact . A Ghanaian living in London I frequently visit home and stay in the centre of Accra before eventually travelling to the western region where I originate from. This time after a bit of research I decided to stay at the Elmeiz primarily because it is equiped with Solar Energy. ( with the constant power cuts in mind of course.) I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the place, the friendliness of staff and their willingness to please. My flight was heavily delayed and I started to worry whether the driver from the hotel would be there to pick me up. Yes I was wrong. I had a pleasant journey with him to Dansoman. Surely there has to something to critisise . 1. Away from the centre! You can reduce transport cost by agreeing taxi fares beforee you board. There is no harm in taking alternative transport which is relatively cheaper! 2. provision of softer towels would be lovely.3. Coffee and tea making facilities in rooms an extra attraction! Overall the price of $45 per night was worth it and I will recommend.it. Hopefully the few constructive suggestions for improvement above will be taken on board.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Begining with the Airport shuttle arrangement, our expectations of having a suitable place to rest and bond with our young children started actualising. At Elmeiz place we found a quiet and neat atmosphere spiced with the friendliness of the staff. the rooms are large and clean. The rates are very competitive when compared with similar facilities.

The location is good for those seeking a quiet environment to rest and possibly work and enjoy the typical ghannian hospitality. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I stayed at ELMEIZ for two weeks while in Accra and had a great time and especially found the staff so welcoming and friendly. We were picked up at the airport which if you've been to Accra, its a pretty crazy airport and it was good to have someone meet you there.
The place its self is great. Its new, clean and truely Ghanian in feel and culture. The host helped us with the rest of our time there and were very friendly. I still stay in touch with some of the staff there.
After travelling around the rest of Ghana, it was nice to get back to ELMEIZ as it was definitely one of the better places to stay in Accra. If anyone is thinking of heading to Ghana I highly recommend the country for sun, surf, wild life and the amazing culture. I'd also recommend ELMEIZ for its comfort, safety and staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I go to Ghana quite often, the last two times I have been to Ghana (May-June 2008 and May-June 2010) I have stayed at ELmeiz for at least 6 days, and I have rented a room as an office for approximately 20 days.

I can say without equivocation that my experience at Elmeiz have been excellent. The staff, led by Victor, are wonderful, they always have a smile on their faces and the place is always clean.

What is more, the staff of thisguest house have security on their minds as all cars entering the premises have to be screened before they are allow to enter.

The property is also lit via sun energy and therefore it does not expderience light outs.

I will recommend this guest house to any of my business partners all over the world.

Thanks and keep up your hard work.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I, too, have recently stayed at Elmeiz Place and my experience in regard to cleanliness could not have been more different than the earlier posting. I, too, enjoyed the hospitality and friendliness extended to me by both Dominic and Victor However, I found this guesthouse to be absolutely spotless. I even thought to myself several times that the owners must take a lot of pride in their business, because they keep it so clean, all of the time. The property was quite busy while I was there, and they never let anything lapse. As a business traveller, having access to reliable electricity, high speed internet, a clean and comfortable room and an immaculate bathroom is very much appreciated, and I have experienced quite the opposite staying at large, brand name hotels worldwide. Elmeiz Place is a gem and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there if ever I have return to Accra.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Gyeongsan, South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I'm writing the review I wish someone had left for me. Elmeiz Place is not all bad, but the things that are bad make it a POOR place to stay, especially for a single female traveller.

First, the good: the $30 pickup from the airport was good, Eugene was on time and waited a long time for me since I was one of the last people to make it out of the baggage claim area. He was also kind enough to take me to get dinner later that evening without charging me for the ride. The bed at Elmeiz was extremely comfortable and the best part of the entire guesthouse was the support staff, Dominic and Victor. The air conditioner worked well and there was tv for viewing. The room was large and spacious. The house sits within gated walls. Also, Dominic provided such wonderful customer service and Eugene was kind enough to send two large bottles of water to my room.

For the bad: the place was dirty, especially the bathroom; it literally made my skin crawl to have to bathe there. The towels were thin and when I requested a wash cloth, I was given rags that looked like they had been used for cleaning. The bathroom rugs had not been washed in no telling how long. There was no hot water, and the shower curtain was caked with mold, mildew, and other stuff that I couldn't be quite sure about. One side of the tub was absolutely stomach turning. Even writing this review makes me nauseous to think about my stay there. The comforter appeared filthy. All of the places to sit had filthy cushions and there were spiders and other bugs to fight off while staying there. I literally slept in my sleeping bag and looked around the room all night to make sure nothing jumped on me while in the bed. Also, the area is quite congested and a rooster began crowing at 3:00 am and simply did not stop. It was still making noise at 9 am when I fled the premises.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed with my stay and I wanted so much to enjoy staying at Elmeiz Place Guesthouse. There was no excuse for the poor condition of the room. I felt completely misled by the advertising. Ghana has a number of wonderful, clean, and safe hotels. Truthfully, I would stay at a hostel before ever considering Elmiez Place; it's just not worth the $50 per night to stay in such poor conditions.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Elmeiz Place Guest House? Share your experiences!