“Safe, Good Central Location and Leafy Outdoor Seating Area” 3 of 5 stars

Niagara Plus Hotel
Osu | Off Cantonments Road, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #81 of 89 hotels in Accra
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Safe, Good Central Location and Leafy Outdoor Seating Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel in December. I had spent 3 weeks volunteering in the Volta Region and wanted a hotel for the night before setting out to see Cape Coast and Katkum. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, and it was in the heart of Osu. The shower didn't work that well but for one night was fine. Hotels in Accra are so expensive, I couldn't justify an expensive airport hotel and I wanted to be able to walk around Osu area of Accra. The hotel has a leafy outdoor seating area for breakfast or drinks. In a crowded hot city that is a real charm. Good for a short stay.

I stayed one night at Niagara Plus on the way to Cape Coast. To get to Cape Coast without much time, I would recommend a drive. There were three of us traveling with luggage. We used Johnny Owusu (johnnyowusu1@yahoo.com) who was recommended by a fellow volunteer. A week before while still up in Hohoe, I emailed Johnny. He was very responsive and we arranged a meeting point and plan for the two day trip. He picked us up in Accra and returned us 2 days later to the airport. He drove a 4x4 Toyota with air conditioning and plenty of room for 4 people. He is very knowledgeable and accommodating. He had a flat daily rate that included gas and without him as our driver and escort we would not have been able to accomplish the Cape Coast trip in 2 days and make it to the airport on time. If I return to Ghana, I will use him again to go to Mole National Park (3 to 4 days necessary for the trip). Having a good driver is key in Ghana. The roads are bumpy and everything takes double the time someone tells you. Just because it looks close on the map it won't be.

Room Tip: The taxi had trouble finding it. Tell them it is off of Global Mama road in Osu area of Accra.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

In Osu, arguably the best place to stay in Accra if you are looking for a density of "continental" cuisine, this is the best option of the 3 hotels that my husband and I have experienced. Right down the street from Koala supermarket, Niagara Plus has a nice little outdoor bar/restaurant patio where you can get reasonably good Lebanese mezze and take some sheesha if you are so inclined. The rooms have luxuriously soft comforters and the AC is in good working order, as well as the hot water (except for once when my husband visited and the water was off--this is one of the things about travelling in Africa that may happen, and you just have to roll with it). Compared to Frankie's and Blue Royal (in the same price range and area), I would choose this hotel every time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I stayed here for around two weeks and was shocked that in that time my room was not cleaned once and it wasn't even very clean and didn't smell great when I arrived there. The TV didn't really work and there were regular power cuts (no generator back-up as you'd expect from a hotel this size). I was also told that there was wireless internet which was very important to me when choosing where to stay but out of the 2 weeks I was there it worked for 1 day somewhere in the middle of my stay. I had to ask at reception for toilet paper and for the water to be turned on in the morning. For the price, I would expect so much more than this.

Plus points are that the outdoor restaurant has good food as long as you don't mind Al Jazeera blasting out very loudly while you eat. There was a reasonably efficient laundry service, staff were generally friendly including the Lebanese owner and the location is good if you want to be in Osu, the most 'happening' area in Accra.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
san francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

Stayed at Niagra Plus for one night before flying back to the states. Staff were friendly, but...
There was no power until 6 pm (it was 95 degrees out so I ended up spending the day in an internet cafe), there was very intermittent water and almost no pressure, and it was pretty dirty.
I'm really not sure what I would say to someone needing a place to stay in Accra...on the other end of my trip I stayed at the Highgate, and found it pretty mediocre at triple the price of the Niagra Plus.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Ghana Tamale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I have been in the hotel before christmas 2009. The Hotel has a nice Garden and Nice rooms. The managment is very good and they try to help and welcome a new comer with what ever the client needs.

I use to go to the hotel before but then i stopped since a new managment had taken the hotel so I was going at Niagara Hotel in Adabraka which is very goo to. The Owners of the Hotel took Niagara Plus again three months ago and now the hotel is back in shape and running how itd is suppose to be.

I can say it is very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

We had chosen Niagara Plus Hotel because we wanted to be in the Osu district. Whilst we realised that most of the hotels in the area were going to be pricey (we paid US$79 per night), nothing prepared us for the disappointment that was Niagara Plus.

We were initially impressed that, despite a 2-hour flight delay, our airport pick-up was still waiting for us out at the Arrivals area. But that was about the most impressive thing during our stay. We paid US$79 per night for a room too big for us (they had somehow given us the family room when we only asked for a room for 2 ppl) - there was a TV and a fridge - the TV was full of static and the fridge was just "for show" (not plugged in, in fact it was nowhere near a socket, and not working!). The room was incredibly basic, not all that clean, and the aircon sounded like it was ready to retire. We tried to use the shower but there was no hot water - so we had to call the porter to switch on the hot water for us.

The following morning, I woke up, turned the tap on - lo and behold - no water!!!!! We went down to the reception to find out what happened and they mumbled something about the tank and pipes being cleaned(?) and we were simply told (or shall I say "instructed") to have our breakfast first.

One particuarly annoying thing was the staff's attitude/behaviour. We had bought a bottle of water from the hotel bar but we didn't have the right change - so we paid with a note and the guy from the reception said he would bring us back the money a little later on. We waited and waited, but no sign of him. So we eventually went down to the reception to see if we could find him. There was a different man at the reception, and he told us that the other guy (who took our money) had finished his shift and had gone home (and would not return until after we had checked out). We asked this other guy if we could have our money back, and he just shrugged and "suddenly" pretended he didn't understand what we were saying!! Outrageous. It wasn't a huge amount of money, but we just cannot believe that the staff would be this irresponsible.

To sum it all up: Niagara was overly expensive, had relatively poor service, and the quality of the room disappointing. I would not recommend it to other travellers. For somewhere that is good value for money (US$70), good service, good food and clean rooms, go to Afia Beach Hotel near Independence Square instead.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Niagara Plus Hotel? Share your experiences!