“good hotel next to the airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 89 Hotels in Accra
Grosseto, Italy
“good hotel next to the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel is placed so close to Accra airport and it offers a very good shuttle service. Personnel is courteous and experienced. The rooms are enough comfortable and clean. Breakfast has a large variety of international dishes.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The only reason that I opted to stay at this hotel since it is very close to the airport and commuting and avoiding traffic scene between Tema and Accra highway. I had booked this online for 5 days and was shocked to see that Holiday Inn Accra was not even bothered to review your booking at the reception desk. They insisted me to show my records of booking and then when I asked them if I am going to get an upgrade as I was a gold elite member (normaly I get this previlage when I stay at Holiday Inn) they simply refused and said this is not a policy with Holiday Inn Accra and upgarde is only for platinum members.

I was pretty upset as I had been offerred by Holiday Inn at all other locations, the reception desk was not even bothered. I decided to cut short my stay and asked my office colleage to book my next day and balance nos of stay at Royal Nick Hotel in Tema. All that these people said was that there are no rooms available for upgrade and even if it is there they cannot give. The service at the front office is very poor and gave me an impression as "not bothered, if you want to stay .. stay otherwise find your own stay somewhere else"

I stayed just one night and shifted the next day to Royal Nick Hotel. The rooms were pathetic and found cockroach and smelly. Bad smell was continously coming from bathroom. Old furniture gave a bad rainy drenched smell / odur. It was dreadful experience for me to stay there.

Could not get a good food to eat as the limited items of food was listed in the room service menu, you ask for water it comes after christmas. Breakfast spread was also not very exciting. Frankly quite a disgusting experince and will nto recommed anyone to opt for this hotel as an option.

Please try to avoid staying at this hotel even if you have to stay at some other hotel and pay a little more as this hotel is not worth paying this amount for the kind of service and attitude of people working.

When I was checking out, the front office asked me why I am checking out earlier when I had booked for 5 days, I explained to her my problem and issues that I faced just in one day. She asked if I want to speak to the duty manager, I replied I have no issues, to my surprise she went inside his office and told the story, this man did not even came out to greet nor respond, I was told that he is busy, I left this hotel with more bitter to taste of this hotel.

I only hope through Trip Advisor, some one at the top Holiday Inn management reviews this property of theirs as it is loosing its market in Ghana.

Room Tip: No advise as I would request to avoid this hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear DeepakAmin,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite member and for leaving us a feedback. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay in particular with guest services, room quality and cleanliness and breakfast option. Also, we regret that you were not given a room upgrade as this is subject to hotel's availability. We do always ensure we provide the benefits according to each level of our loyalty scheme. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest experience.

Lera P
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

After a long flight and arriving late at night the experience at the hotel was just dreadful. At check in I was served promptly by robotic staff and allocated a room.

Went up to my room, opened the door only to find that someone is already in the room! The poor women got out of bed with such a fright, I apologised and went back to reception. (stairs and two suitcases along)

Reception apologised (not sincere at all) and started talking to each other in another language while finding me another room.

Went up to the next room and found the cleaning trolley parked outside the room and the lights and TV on, I thought it was strange for a room be cleaned at 23:00. I walked in and was just shocked! The cleaning lady had put a towel on the floor and was asleep on it - she had her cellphone plugged in next to her with music playing (she had to have been there for a while as she was snoring)

Now really angry went back to reception, the usual sorry and yet another room allocated. Got to the room and it smelt really bad, it was a smoking room. The room also had this damp smell and feel to it. The carpets were really dirty.

The bathroom was tired, shower in the bath but served its purpose.

Food quality was a hit and miss, breakfast was fairly ok but dinner - stay away. On night two I ordered fish and chips which was inedible.

All in all for the price I would stay elsewhere - there is better options in Accra in the same price range even close to the airport. Staff are clearly not trained well and the hotel as seen better days - its time for a refurb!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GMAccra, General Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with us, We met each other at the hotel a few months ago having shown you around the hotel as a Travel Agent.

I apologised for the very poor first impression you received on arrival, and I have taken measures to ensure this incident is not repeated.

As for the food quality you and your colleges actually commented on how nice the food was.

Please contact me directly.

Kind Regards.

Bruce Potter
Tel: +233 0262 352233
Email: bruce.potter@holidayinnaccraairport.com
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed at the hotel 3-4 March and from the moment i entered the hotel, i was disappointed.
1) Customer service at check-in was poor: no speed of service, no eye contact, seemed to prefer serving others instead of me who was patiently queuing (obviously need to be less British).
2) The room i stayed in was dreadful. It smelt of a musty/dampness that made all of my clothes smell. I was actually concerned i would catch some kind of respiratory condition. Everything needed a thorough wash when i got home.
3) food was very poor (at best). There is such good local food, but the buffet at breakfast and at dinner was bland and tasteless. I couldn't find anything i would like to eat.

For the extortionate price i paid, I will not be staying again.

April 14th 2014
Dear Guest.

I am sorry to read that my reception team did not give you the warm welcome that you deserved, I would like to apologise on behalf of the Holiday Inn Team.

I am disappointed that you were unable to find a suitable taste from our Buffet selection.

Regarding the damp smell in the bedroom, please contact me direct in order for me to fully understand this matter.

Bruce Potter

2. The pool is very small
3. No sauna, jacuzzi, and massage
4. Their room service menu is very unsatisfactory with very few items
5. Cable service only offers very few channels
6. Most importantly, the staff are very inadequately trained and very very slow.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear ATMourad,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I truly regret the inconvenience you may have had with the level of customer service received and if the hotel's facilities and amenities did not suit your liking. I have taken note of your valuable feedback and this shall be addressed with the appropriate departments to ensure similar incidents are avoided in the future.

Regards,

Pam G
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

First, I must say that unless they are airport hotels, I usually don't review hotels if I only stayed one night (the same way I don't pay much attention to reviews if the reviewer only stayed one night: in my opinion, it's not enough to make a real, thorough assessment, especially if you came the night before and left the next morning). But as this hotel sells itself as an airport hotel, it is befitting to tell how it stacks up against other airport hotels.

I ended up in this hotel because I was transiting through Accra on a return trip from neighboring Ivory Coast, to catch a KLM flight from Accra to Amsterdam. A week before, on my outbound transit through Accra, (on my way TO Ivory Coast), I had stayed at a backpacker sort of hostel in East Legon, simply because on Expedia, that hotel was one-fifth the night rate for the Holiday Inn . I was going to be only in Accra for 10 hrs between check-in and check-out, so I thought that didn't justify paying the 5 times higher room night at the Holiday Inn when a similarly-rated hotel could be found for a fraction of the H.I's room rate (both hotels are rated 3-star on Expedia). Granted, after staying at the Hotel Obama, I realized that the 1st mistake was in the rating, as perhaps the Holiday Inn is the only 3 star of the 2. (I already reviewed the other hostel, hmm,... sorry, hotel.)

First of all, the H.I Accra has an airport shuttle and does have a receptoin lounge (just as you exit the arrival hall of the Kotoka airport, before turning to the sliding glass doors that would take you outside where drivers of taxi cabs (legit or not) will pounce on you to offer their services. The lounge is air-conditioned, and if you've ever been in Accra during its hot season (which seems to be about any time in the year), you'll appreciate that lounge (however, don't expect any welcome drinks, this isn't the kind of lounge). Nonetheless, that bit of unexpected anticipation of customer needs was already a huge plus over the other (equally-rated 3-star hotel of my first transit). So, I was in high spirits and my expectations for the rest of the stay were riding high.

The ride to the hotel was really short: it might have been 5 minutes, not more. The hotel lobby was pleasant and spatious. Check-in was fairly quick: I was being ushered into my room within 15 minutes. It was a little after 6pm. My previous flight was only 1-hr long, and I wasn't very tired. So, after securing my laptop in the safe, I decided to go have dinner in the hotel's restaurant. As I was coming out in the hallway, I heard some noise of people talking loud. As I got by the eleveator, I saw some uniformed cleaning crew (why were they still there at this hour is another question). But they were talking loud to each other, right by the rooms. I went to the reception and told one of the clerks that I needed a massage. Luckily, the lady who does the massages was still in (I think they close at 7pm), and I was told to go quickly. I'm not sure if it is because I prevented the masseuse from leaving early, but she looked surly and never even asked me if the pressure was good, too much, not enough. As the massage was hurting me more than anything, I told her that I would like it a bit less firm and more sooting. Didn't register. After 30 min, she stopped. I found out later in the evening that it should have been 45 min (so she cheated me out of another 15 min). Not knowing that, I still tipped her 15% of the massage cost. Would you believe she didn't have the decency to say thank you for the tip. At that point, I couldn't hold it any more. I told her: listen, you could have said "Thank you". I don't HAVE to tip you, especially since a tip is technically a reward for good servcie, and throughout the massage, you hurt me and bruised me more than anything". She was embarrassed, she apologized and then thanked me. At that point, I no longer wanted to eat in the restaurant (so I can't tell what it looks like). Sections of my arms and legs were sore if I touched them. Went to my room and ordered some dish with gambas (it's the name for huge shrimps). It took over an hour. I had to call the kitchen twice after my initial call. But the food was good (I was hungry too). The room was very very average. In some countries, I actually prefer not to have a carpet, as I'm suspicious of how often these carpets get a good steam cleaning. The room had a section that was covered a rug/carpet. But that rug was dirty, which didn't make much sense, as I knew that this hotel was fairly new: I used to live in Ghana and when I left in 2009, that hotel wasn't there yet (the building housing the hotel had been in construction for years, abandonned and I guess taken over by H.I. after I left). So, I couldn't understand why the carpet /rug was in such bad shape. In any event, this hotel did not go through the same make-over that all the H.I hotels in the state went through some 3-4 yrs ago. I haven't stayed voluntarily at any of the H.I. hotels in the US, but one night Xmas 2012, my flight out of Atlanta was canceled and the airlines put us up in a nearby H.I. I was pleasantly surprised: new bedding, new design/decor, nice (though small) onsite deli; everything seemed brand new. In the H.I Accra, the bathroom was the most pleasant part: the toilet (or WC) was in a separate, small room with a small sink (that is handy when staying double, but I was alone) and the tub/shower was in a separate, adjacent room which had a bigger sink with more counter space. As a woman, I always appreciate to have counter space, but that night, I didn't unpack much of my skin care products as I was leaving the next morning. Remove the bathroom, and the room itself was absolutey at par with any 2-star Howard Johnson or Comfort Inn on the highways, not at all like the Holiday Inn hotels in the US as they are now.

So, if you've been at the Holiday Inn hotels in the US and are expecting the one in Accra to measure up to those, you will be in for a big and bad surprise.
Don't get me wrong. the H.I. Accra is way better than the one I stayed on on my outbound transit, but still it doesn't justify the +$300 night rate. I had vowed to never stay again at the other one, but now (I have to be honest), if I'm offered again the same rates and need to choose between the 2, I think I'll do the following (and I think you should too):
1) chose to stay at Hotel Obama for 80 bucks
2) on day of departure, get up 2 hrs before I would have if staying at the H.I Accra,
3) brave the East Legon traffic (but if your flight is in middle of the day, #2 could be reduce to 1 hr); and
4) save over 230 bucks for more pleasant endeavors.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear WittyCutie,

Ben J
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

When being in town for business, we are usually staying at the Holiday Inn. Good location, close to the airport, hotel does even have an arrival lounge at the airport terminal. Transfer from the airport to the hotel, with a own shuttle. Check-in is usually fast, WIFI complimentary but sometimes weak in the rooms. Rooms are clean but a little bit outdated. Upon arrival did find fruit platter in my room. Food is good, especially the pizza is excellent. Overall a place, which can be recommended, but a little bit expensive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear TravelALot1061,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We regret to see the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Accra Airport? Share your experiences!