“OK Hotel IF in town for only a night...VERY BASIC!” 3 of 5 stars

Highgate Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Mango Tree Avenue | Asylum Down, Accra, Ghana   |
Ranked #42 of 91 Hotels in Accra
Mauritius
“OK Hotel IF in town for only a night...VERY BASIC!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in January for a business trip.

Was put up here by a client...cheap hotel i guess at about $80USD/night.

It's clean BUT very basic......maybe a 1 star in my books.

Stay here if you plan on not being in the room for more than just your sleep!

Also, i woke up in the AM with my feet covered in bites....not too sure if they were Mosquito bites or something else!

Overall, it's an OK place.....would i stay here again.....probably not!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

PLEASE CARRY YOU VISA CREDIT/ DEBIT CARD. THEY ONLY ACCEPT VISA CARDS. IF YOU DONT HAVE VISA, THEN DO GO THERE, THE LADY WILL BEHAVE PATHETICLY RUDE TO YOU.

Hi, I visited to Accra and stayed at HIghgate Hotel. It was ok ok experience. One of the lady at the reception (it seems she is the supervisor of other receptionist) is exceptionally pathetic, rude, with pinch of attitude, and no good help to customers. She behaves, as if she is doing a favour by gettig us a room.She need to learn basics of customer services at front desk. The rooms were ok, nothing special. Only with one bathing they expect you to finish your stay. Room service dont provide another bathsoap. The food is good. Location is awesomly pleaseant. The inside hotel staff are helpful, good people. Its a truth, you give respect and get respect. Good place to stay if have a budget between 120-150 USD per day. Even though its not worth paying that much. Its worth something 90-100 USD per day..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Shropshire, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

In August 2009 I wrote a very complimentary review of this hotel, saying "If you're in Accra on business, stay here." I can't say that any more. The manager from that time appears to have gone and with him has gone the constant checking on service levels. Now, service is very poor. If you want to eat outside, you're ignored until you demand attention. Dinner is still good, if you like grouper (which I do), but breakfast is now terrible. I have to change my review to: Whatever you're in Accra for, don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Small hotel, very friendly, slightly out of town, but nice. No elevator – and I was on the top (4th floor) – so I trolled up and down the stairs – but kept me in shape as I think Ghanaian food (while delicious) is very fattening. Nice small area outside to work in if needed.
As the hotel was fully booked for my small conference – they had run out of rooms and I ended up in the Presidential Suite. This was the biggest room I have ever stayed in with a bathroom the size of most hotel rooms, massive comfy bed, power shower and enormous bath, double fridge/freezer, desk with wired internet connection, vast L shaped sofa with a flat screen TV, and a huge balcony overlooking Accra. Wired internet connection only - wireless not working on 4th floor.
The staff were all very friendly, and they would always try to help, but some skills were missing – e.g. when I checked out I wanted to pay in US$, cedi and the balance on my credit card - they don't take Mastercard - only Visa. This took the lady about 15 minutes - and as she was still struggling I ended up doing the calculation. She was good humoured throughout and we both laughed about it. Other oddities of service - on arrival I asked where the bank was – she said just around the corner but was a bit vague about where and how to get there (it turned out to be literally around two corners). But I cannot fault their general kindness and willingess to assist in some way - even if the outcome is not as expected.
Restaurant in the hotel did very nice food at night (local and international) – and it was reasonably priced, breakfast however was a little bizarre. They did the standard cornflakes and toast, sausages and bacon, but supplemented this with pasta, rice pudding, corned beef omelette, and leftovers from last nights dinner. Coffee is nescafe and there is no decaff - if you need it take your own. Also if you are a Brit - take your own teabags theirs are very weak.
I would definitely stay there again when I am in Ghana and I will recommend to friends and colleagues, it is charming and friendly if a little random in service delivery. I would not stay there if you expect instant service and every wish met.
Villa Garden (I think) is around the corner and another corner - about 10 mins walk away, nice Ghanaian food. Osu can be reached for 4 cedi if you are determined to haggle.
Woodin is a good shop on oxford st if you want no haggle, no hassle higher priced and nicely made stuff - i.e. a tourist shop. Lower quality but far more fund stuff found at the Arts Centre.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Small hotel, very friendly, slightly out of town, but nice. No elevator – and I was on the top (4th floor) – so I trolled up and down the stairs – but kept me in shape as I think Ghanaian food (while delicious) is very fattening. As the hotel was fully booked for my small conference – they had run out of rooms and I ended up in the Presidential Suite. This was the biggest room I have ever stayed in with a bathroom the size of most hotel rooms, massive comfy bed, power shower and enormous bath, double fridge/freezer, desk with wired internet connection, vast L shaped sofa with a flat screen TV, and a huge balcony overlooking Accra. Wonderful...but when it rained water flooded under the door. As the room was so huge I just avoided this small bit of the room. The a/c only seemed to work at night and only on 18C. Other rooms were standard hotel size with standard features – and it seems more functional a/c! They did a funny thing with the beds where a fluffy blanket would be put at the bottom of the bed for your feet? Very nice, but unusual. Also only happened 2 nights of my stay there – somewhat randomly. Same with bathroom towels which varied on a daily basis from 2 to 7 for me alone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

Stayed at the Highgate for a night after arriving in Accra (we were headed to Kumasi for work the next day). I booked based on proximity to the airport and other travelers' recommendations. All in all, I'd say it was okay - I gather that hotels in Accra are quite expensive for what you get, so I wasn't surprised, but it didn't exceed my expectations.
We paid $150 and $180 for our rooms (I traveled with a colleague). Rooms were spacious and had very large flat screen tvs. The bathrooms weren't in great shape. I had to relocate because of a pretty significant leak in my bathroom, lights didn't work, there was no plug for a hair dryer in the bathroom. None of this was a crisis by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a bit annoying given the price.
The restaurant and bar were okay. They don't clean the tables between diners, which I would have expected at this sort of a place.
On the plus side, there's a room with internet access and the desk staff were pretty helpful (though they couldn't arrange for someone to drive us to Kumasi, we had to call another hotel to get hooked up with someone).
If I were to go back, I'd probably spend a few more dollars and go to one of the other business hotels, or find something less expensive and accept the shortcomings as part of the "budget travel" price point.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Researched a lot of hotels before our trip and decided on Highgate Hotel. Great choice. It is a little bit away from the thick of things which isn't a bad thing. Osu is a 10 Cedi ride away. Our room is huge by most standards especially for $165 a night. Rooms are clean. There is some mildew around the rim in the bathroom but not a big deal. Bed is comfy, TV huge, A/C in working order and a large refrigerator which has drinks in it for the same price that you can get in the restaurant. Not an elevated price because it's in the room. WiFi works well and is not slow at all. There are drivers to take you around town for about $30 for four hours (ask for Frank) or you can catch a cab by asking the staff. And the staff will tell the cab driver they are out of their mind if they quote you a ridiculous price. There are, of course electrical outlets in the room but only one of them worked.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Highgate Hotel? Share your experiences!