“A quiet, cozy, well-located place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sidama Lodge & Sidama Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Sidama Lodge & Sidama Inn
You added Sidama Lodge & Sidama Inn to your Saves list
Cape Verde Street | Bole Sub city, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Pasadena, California
“A quiet, cozy, well-located place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our family came from California and stayed at Sidama Lodge for several weeks recently, and found this boutique residence to be a "home away from home". Owner/manager Birnesh and the entire staff are very attentive and friendly. They are willing to go the extra mile to make sure your needs are met. Residences are spcaious and have everything you will find in a small appartment from stove to refrigerator. The back-up engine generator ensures continous electric supply, and the WiFi in the lobby and lower floors comes in very handy. Sidama Lodge is in an excellent location on a quiet street but close to many restaurants, cafes, supermarkets, and major facilities like Bole Road, the airport, and Mesquel Square. When I come back to Addis, I do plan to stay at Sidama Lodge. Solomon

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Harare, Zimbabwe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Check in staff multi task and help out in the dining room. The decor is made up of paintings of emerging artists. Breakfast has to be ordered as one checks in, which was no so clear, when mine was late on the second day. Rooms are clean, but until I left, my bedside lamp had not been replaced after a number of reminders because of its flickering. They need to also purchase more non Chinese made sturdy adapters. There is no lift so it might be a challenge for those who have a disability or need age friendly facilities. There is no pool.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 42
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kennewick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed at the Sidama lodge for several days in August and couldn't be happier. As a female traveling alone to Addis to bring home our daughter I was worried about the places to stay in Addis. There was no need to worry though, they took great care of us! They treated our little girl like family and made our transition so wonderful. Breakfast delivered to the room in the morning was perfect and gave me one less thing to worry about. Great rooms by any standard that are more like an apartment. Hot water was always available and everything is kept nice and clean. Seriously this place is beautiful too! Our little girl loved going down stairs to visit with the reception staff and I loved that they took the time to talk with her and help me out.

• Stayed August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Sidama Lodge is a pretty new establishment that is sure to prove popular with people such as consultants or others on STTA (short-term technical assistance) who will be in Addis for more than a day or two to get work done. Conveniently located off the Bole Road -- on the same street as the European Union and the Desalegn Hotel, the Sidama Lodge offers a selection of about a dozen rooms, ranging from studios to one-bedrooms to suites that make it easy for individuals and small teams to get set up to work effectively.

The rooms are generously sized, clean, and come with cooking facilities -- refrigerator, stove, microwave, good size sink, and utensils, quite valuable for people who do NOT want to have to eat out all the time or whose working style might call for midnight snacks. Rooms have ample desks and tables to lay materials out (and leave them left out), and there is free internet in the rooms and wifi in the lobby and dining area -- which is a very major plus given the costs of internet at, for example, the Addis Ababa Hilton. A number of rooms have large balconies with tables and chairs. Bathrooms are adequate and clean -- the maids take pride in the quality of their work.

The hotel has a small staff, which is friendly and interested in the guests and "problem-solving" -- I gather that a number of guests are return visitors. There is a good-sized collection of paperbacks if you're tired of reading (or writing) reports or have limited interest in television. Breakfast (included) can be served in your room at a time of your selection, or you can eat in the dining area off the lobby. In honesty, the kitchen menu is quite limited -- apart from eggs, it's mostly some salads and some cheeseburgers. But, as noted, you CAN cook in your room -- there is a supermarket a couple of blocks away -- and there is a handful of OK-enough restaurants within walking distance. The hotel owners are present, at least sometimes, and are desirous of strengthening the skills of their staff.

The hotel takes Visa and Mastercard. Rates as of June 2012 ranged from $66 for a studio to $175 for a suite, plus 15% VAT. There is no elevator.

The Sidama Lodge does not have the amenities that one would find in a larger hotel, but it's a lot less expensive than a larger hotel. And in terms of getting work done, it's a VERY good deal. My per diem would have allowed me to stay in a fancier place, but for my needs, this was a better deal. (Note: When I previewed this review, next to my name was a photo of a desk with a laptop on it. Not my photo.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I just got back from Addis about 3 weeks ago and much as I've been to Addis a couple of times before, I have to admit that this last trip was positively different, mainly because of where I stayed this time around.
I honestly find it hard to call Sidama Lodge a hotel because it really made me feel like I never quite left my home. First of all, the place is not overwhelmingly big and this gives a great sense of privacy. The room (more of an apartment actually) I stayed was extremely cozy. The interior decor really gives the place a homely feel.
My trips generally require me spending a lot of time indoors writing reports and Sidama Lodge was quite conducive. It's in a very quiet location and the fact that the place is not too big meant that there wasn't too much noisy activity within the hotel. The place also has wireless internet access although the speeds (like everywhere in Addis) are not as fast as our fiber access here in Kenya. The staff in the Hotel is quite friendly and they go about their work very quietly and efficiently.
I am definitely not planning on staying anywhere else from now on whenever I go to Addis.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We spent several weeks at the Sidama Lodge and could have stayed longer! The staff were extremely kind, helpful and generous. This is what really made our stay fantastic. The rooms were very clean and the cleaning ladies were always very polite and respectful of our privacy if we were working in the room during the day. It was good value for money and the location in the centre, just off Bole Road is perfect for meetings or travelling.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We came to Addis to adopt our daughter. This was obviously a very traumatic time for us, with constant visits to the orphanage and to the courts after first getting approval at home. Getting a place to stay which is comfortable, clean and sympathetic is essential and that is what we found at Sidama Lodge. The staff were brilliant and treated, Patricia as their own. Some staff even took time to take care of Patricia when at times we had to go to government offices and did not want to take her along.

We will always remember the wonderful staff at Sidama Lodge who made the stay in Ethiopia so enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family