“I had a great time at the Desalegn #2!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dessalegn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Dessalegn Hotel
You added Dessalegn Hotel to your Saves list
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #41 of 80 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Silver Spring, Maryland
“I had a great time at the Desalegn #2!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I stayed at the Desalegn #2 on Cape Verde Road for the month of June. I’ve tried to be as detailed as possible in my review.

Positives:

1) The Staff are great!!! (They were always there to help me with anything I needed. The front desk staff was there to handle my reservations, answer any of my questions, and assist with any issues. The doorman and doorwoman were always there to open the door for me and help with my bags if needed. The restaurant, bar, and room service staff were all great and the food was decent. There would even be 3-4 housekeeping staff outside of my suite sometimes; ready to help with any issues I might have.)

2) Great Price for its Location. (It’s located right on Cape Verde Street; right off of Bole Road. I could walk north to “Yoly Building” for its great restaurants, “Club Platinum”, and the Mickey Leland Street bars. I could walk south to many small shops, Moonlight Bar, and at night there is an amazing cultural show at the “2000 Habesha Restaurant”. Plus it was a very short and cheap taxi ride to the other parts of Bole.)

3) The suites are a good value. (It had a big living room with 3 sofas, a desk w/chair, and a small refrigerator. There was a television in each room. The suite also had 2 Balconies; 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom.)

4) Free shuttle to and from the airport.

5) Free Wi-Fi access in my hotel room.

6) I loved the Hot Showers.

7) They provided laundry and dry cleaning services. ( Just pill up the clothes in your room, fill out a form, and place the form on the clothes; housekeeping will take care of the rest.)

8) Front Desk Staff, Doorman/Doorwoman, and Restaurant servers all spoke good English. (A positive for me as my Amharic is dreadful).

9) There is a lift/elevator in the building. (Though a very small one and obviously does not work when the power goes out.)

10) There is an Internet Café in building. (Though be prepared for the occasional outages and slow connection speeds if you are used high speed internet.)

11) There is a Billiards Room in the basement.

12) The Hotel had a bar, 2 restaurants (1st and 2nd floors), and an all you can eat breakfast bar in the morning. The restaurants serve both European and Ethiopian cuisines.

13) There was a barbershop at the Hotel. (I loved this place. Haircut, shave, shampoo, etc... All for a super cheap price…by USA standards anyway).

14) There was a fully equipped gym.

15) There was a sauna and steam room at the Hotel (For a massage they will tell you to visit Desalegn #3).

16) There are a lot of taxis that hover across the street. (This made is extremely easy for me to hire a ride anywhere I wanted to go.)

17) They accept both cash and Visa credit cards.

18) They had a safe deposit box at the front reception. (They provided me with a receipt for any amount of money I kept with them and guaranteed to return that amount to me.)

19) 24 hour building security. (I never felt unsafe in this Hotel or in the surrounding neighborhood. I also never felt that my things in the Hotel were in danger of being stolen.)

20) There is a small gift shop in the hotel lobby.

21) There is also a business meeting room. (Though I never used it.)

22) The Hotel will exchange money.

23) Free Parking in the back of the Hotel. (This was very convenient when my friends would drive to visit me. The staff even assisted in helping them park.)

Negatives:

1) When the lift is not working (due to power outages) it’s a long climb up to the 5th floor. On the bright side, at least I was not riding it when the power went out.

2) Housekeeping staff did not speak much English. (I had to use sign language to communicate with the cleaning staff. I know, I Know…this is Ethiopia; it should fall on me (the foreigner) to learn the local language. But still I thought I should mention it.)

3) The Televisions in the hotel rooms are very small (Not a big deal for me as I hardly watched it anyway.) The big screen TV in the lobby makes up for it somewhat, but only if you watch CNN a lot like me.

4) There are not any garden grounds to speak of if nature and beauty is your thing. So other than a set of small chairs outside the Internet Café, there really is no place for you to relax outside at this hotel.

5) There was no swimming pool. (Not a biggie for me. I don’t know how to swim.)

6) There was no masseuse in the Hotel (though they would refer you to Desalegn #3 for the service).

Overall I’d say this is a great place to stay. I came to think of it as home during my stay in Ethiopia and missed the place after I left.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Phnom Penh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I have been staying in Dessalegn hotel during two weeks last may in two different rooms on the second floor. Beds quite comfortable, clean rooms, good breakfast and a good location. Electricity was provided in case of power failure. What else is needed? I speak amharique (I have been leaving there previously during four years) so the staff was friendly. I am a frequent traveller to Ethiopia.

A good value hotel for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Very poor room service.
Even for small stuffs like Tv remote and suger spoon you may need to call them many times.
Net don't work at all.
If get into ground floor room like 101, its full of noise and disturbance; would never get chance to sleep in morning.

Avoide if Possible staying at Desalegn # 3

Thanks.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I have stayed at several hotels in Addis in the course of 3 trips this year and this is the best places so far. I am paid around 38 euros (58 dollars) for a huge room, with a proper desk, a sofa and a chair and another two chairs with a small table, a fridge)
While you can get cheaper rooms in Addis, I don't think you can get a cheaper one in the Bole area and including all these perks:
Constant hot water, which can be a problem in Addis, free wireless internet, free airport shuttle, and full breakfast. It has a good restaurant and the staff are friendly. My only complaint, the lighting is a little bit low in the rooms for when one is trying to work/read.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

The Desalegn Hotel chain has three facilities in Addis. We stayed in #3, which is in the sub-city of Bole. (There are no street addresses in Addis, so the sub-city system is important to navigating the city. Bole is closest to the airport.) From the outside it looks like Cellblock #15. But inside, it is quite charming. It is built on an atrium design, which is its downfall for soundproofing. But it is appealing to the eye. It has one lift/elevator for its five floors, which only works when the hotel has power. Be aware that Addis cycles power through sectors of the city on an every-other-day basis, so from about 8 to 6 (English time) on certain days, the lift won't work. However, due to the roaches, you will want to stay on the higher floors (at minimum floors 3 to 5). Bugs are a fact of life in Africa--no need to get squeamish. Breakfast is included here and it's pretty good. Lunch and dinner can be order at the "snack bar," but it is a standard restaurant. It is not fast, but it is serviceable and healthy for the business traveler. The internet was the most reliable here out of all the nations we toured in Africa. Even so, we had to reset the router on occasion. The shuttle system is quite reliable and prompt, with plenty of hands to help with the luggage. Settling the bill won't be a quick affair, however, especially if you are going to pay with Visa, so don't wait until the last minute to check out. You can't book this hotel online, so if you want to book a very comfortable and large suite room for about $66 USD, you will need to either email or call the hotel directly. I wrote Yalew Desalegn directly in hotel management at {--]. The hotel's number for #3 is (from the U.S.) [--]. A much better value than the Sheraton (way overpriced!) and the Hilton (a bit down at the heels) and easier to access from the airport than either of those hotels.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Trosa, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Dessalegn #3 is the newest of 3 hotels with the same name. This branch is the closest to the airport. Free shuttle service from and to the airport. Location is 5 minutes walk from Bole road (opposite UNHCR, Dabi Complex, Say Cake). Building constructions around the hotel, and no lighted streets in the night. As I understand all rooms (I stayed at 4th floor) consist of living room, sleeping room, kitchen with refrigerator and a bathroom. All very fresh. For work there is a good desk and an office chair, free wireless Internet in the room, room service, massage and sauna. To eat I was choosing the Food Court (close to Friendship store), Lime Tree Internet café or the more expensive Gato Thai. If you need to be in the city center every day, choose another hotel or be prepared to pay for taxis.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

I stayed in the suite on 5th floor.

(+) Spacious. Living room (with fridge) & Bedroom. 21 inch TV in living room. 14 Inch TV in Bedroom.

(+) Location is ok. Near Airport and just a little off Bole Road (shopping malls, restaurants etc less than 5 minutes away by car).

(+) They have free shuttle to the Airport.

(+) Toilet rolls are replenished when room is cleaned.

(+) There is a lift.

(+) Visa Accepted. But Billed in BIRR (Ethiopian currency) so you get the worst ever exchange rate. You better pay cash - USD for the room and BIRRs for Extras.

(-) Bathrooms - a bit worn out. Absolutely NO amenities (shower cap, shoe polish, slippers, robe, dental kit, sewing kit, comb etc). Nothing! Only one bar of LUX Soap which is not replaced until you request for it.

(-) Far from Piazza. 40 Birr by private Taxi (if you speak Amharic - else 80-100Birr).

(-) No in-room safe.

(-) The lift is slow. Suites are on 5th floor.

(-) $75 for a standard room is a bit on the high side. You can get Hilton at $110.

(-) You need a cab to get anywhere at night.

(A+) Everything else is fantastic. The staff, bellboys, restaurant, room service.. etc.

• Liked — The staff were friendly and efficient
  • Disliked — The bathroom + toilet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dessalegn Hotel? Share your experiences!