“Friendly Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friendship International Hotel

You added Friendship International Hotel to your Saves list
Friendship International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Africa Avenue, opposite to Alem Building, 200 meter inside, near to Robel Plaza, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I recently stayed at Friendship International Hotel –in the heart of the capital of Ethiopia –Addis Ababa on my trip for AU Conference.

My overall experience at the hotel was –great. The staffs are amazingly friendly, very professional and prompt in assisting one with issues. . I loved the STAFF. From lower level staff to management –they were exceptionally professional and friendly.

M SUITE: had a massive Jacuzzi big enough to hold about 4 people comfortably –which I did enjoy. The shower is a multiple purpose shower –steamer (mine after being fixed worked great –I guess it has not been used in a while,) a sauna –unfortunately –I didn’t have the time to sit in the sauna (and, it was broken) and an amazingly powerful and hot shower. I loved the bathroom! The suite also has a super mini kitchen –should one wanted/needed to cook, there is an electrical stove. I really loved my view which granted me to 180 degree view of Addis Ababa. I admire the conscience design of being environmentally friendly –the lights come on/off with the room key hence; being energy efficient. I liked that a lot beings though most people leave and don’t necessarily turn off room lights, etc., but because you must use the key to re-enter, the second the key is removed, lights go off. I am an environmentally conscience person so I took a note of that. The suite could use a little bit of colorful décor and enticing wall paintings (Ethiopia has plenty local artists that have great art to sell) –it felt really plain and not so homey –weird as this is a suite and the purpose of a suite is to give that home feeling. I am certain, the fact I am well-traveled has a lot to do with my high expectations at times –but it is also a suite I stayed in –not a regular room.

FOOD: I didn’t have a meal per say at the hotel but I did manage to grab some fruits twice and each time, although I am a vegetarian and fruits are generally sufficient –I was a bit taken back by the lack of vegetarian options. Even the fruit options were only two –Honeydew and Pineapple. What happened to oranges, papaya, strawberries, mangos, and all those yummy fruits that grow in Ethiopia? I also recommend for the hotel to have Soy or Almond milk for those international visitors such myself who are vegan, vegetarian and lactose intolerant who do not use diary product.

LOBBY: I was a bit thrown off to walk into the lobby that seemed like an airport security check. I understand the current globally environment is a bit hostile and one cannot be prepared enough to stop something bad before it happens however; I was not expecting to be greeting by guards and security check. I also think that the security check should be in the external part of the lobby not inside –it might be too late to stop anyone from doing harm at that point. Another thing, I am a natural light or a well lite atmosphere driven –the lobby is a bit dark –especially around the bar area.

Wi-Fi: The wifi in the suite was absolutely the worst. I am not sure if the hotel does not have enough routers, extenders or what –the internet was the worst especially for someone like me who needed it to do work. May be this might simply be a nation issue altogether. I just didn’t have any connection to wifi although I was connected to the hotel wifi provided.

Hotel Amenities: I learned on my last day at the hotel that there was a gym. I was not informed of what the hotel amenities are and in the suite –there was nothing stating what is at the disposal of the guest(s) even if it was additional cost. This is something the check personnel should be on top of and –the marketing department should be ahead of the game with as to ensure guest are aware of what is available to them within the hotel compound as to not go elsewhere via brochures or pamphlets in the room.

Overall –Friendship International Hotel was a great experience. Something can be changed for the better promptly but others might be out of the reach of the hotel management.

P.S. I do know if the hotel offers spa services or if it has a swimming pool. So I am not rating those.

Room Tip: Corner Suites are larger, offers a lot more natural light and can see the sun rise as well as great...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Client Nunu Wako,
Greetings!!!
Thank you very much indeed for your detailed & constructive review you have made about our hotel. We sincerely appreciate the time you sacrificed to write your real observation. We take your points very seriously & will be working on Improving our weak links while keeping our strength up.
Hoping to serve you again, we assure you that every possible actions will be taken immediately to secure your & all our customers' 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

With Hospitality regards,

Getabicha Dejene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Excellent service, staff was courteous, friendly and helpful. The best bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel EVER!! It was lovely to steam, sauna, ozone bathe in the comfort of my room. Very nice selection for breakfast. Brilliant gym as well, very clean. Strong wi-fi.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for sacrificing your time to comment on our property. We are grateful to read your compliments. Hoping to serve you again, we guarantee you even a much better satisfaction in your future stays with us.

With hospitality regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

If you've traveled around Africa or other developing lands then you appreciate a place that is CLEAN and this hotel is one of the cleanest I've been to. You dont have to think twice about using the restroom. Go to their website and see some pics for yourself. The service was great and for the price it simply couldnt be beat. I dont post reviews online but I feel like these guys deserve the praise. Work brings me to Addis Ababa 4 times a year and I know where I'll be staying at again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for your precious time. We are very glad to read your compliment about our hotel/services. Such a comment give us more energy to work even better to profit many clients like you.
We are longing to serve you again!
With hospitality regards,

bay village, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

we have nothing but good things to say! had a great stay at the Friendship ~ the rooms were clean, the staff was very helpful and the location was perfect. we have now recommended it to many other families we know. we will be there again in a few weeks and will be staying at the Friendship again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Respected Customer,

Thank you for investing your precious time to write a feed back about our hotel. We are grateful to know that you had a memorable stay with us. Please visit us again & again so we will have the chance to please & delight you more with our natural hospitality that is furbished by amazing products .

With regards,

Getabicha Dejene, General Manager
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This hotel is in a good location of new construction within walking distance of shopping malls, on a main street, near other hotels and a few restaurants, and by the airport. It offers a good place to stay, which I experienced for 3 weeks. The rooms are spacious and maintained with western necessities. The restaurant and its food will not entice you. (A far superior restaurant is across the street in the newer, slightly more expensive Hotel Saro Maria where the variety and quality is outstanding.) Internet in Addis is problematic; the hotel system compounds the problem. If you have a problem with wi-fi or the Internet or any issue, management is responsive. See the front desk/duty manager who is there most hours and I found he will resolve it; if not, ask for the general manager, who to his credit is found frequently checking with guests at breakfast or walking in the lobby greeting guests. He is most approachable and attentive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your real time feed back. We appreciate the time you sacrificed to write your review about our services.Regarding the Internet, the problem is mostly external but yet, it has currently improved a lot. concerning meals, we are in a process to upgrade our restaurant in terms of international cuisine variety & quality. Hopefully, you will realize the change during your next stay with us.Otherwise, we will keep our strong link up to the maximum.
We look forward to serve you again,
With best regards,
Getabicha Dejene, General Manager
Chennai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed at the Friendship International hotel for 2 weeks in December 2013 while on a business trip to Addis Ababa. The hotel is located just 5 minutes away from the international airport and is a new building, with a nice lobby lounge. The check in was fast, and the room is big and spacious, but poorly designed, with a lot of wasted space. The bed is huge, and there is a worktable and chair, and two single seater couches with a coffee table. There is a small balcony attached where you can just stand and take in the view- not useful for anything else. The furnishings and decor were mainly Chinese, and looked a bit gaudy. Even though I checked in in the evening at 9 PM, the room was not serviced properly- there were no toiletries and towels in the bathroom, and there was no drinking water and tea/coffee maker in the room, so I had to call housekeeping and reception 3 times before someone came with it. The bathroom is big and well equipped on paper- a jacuzzi tub, a separate shower stall with a built in sauna- but the problem is most of the equipment are Chinese made and we just could not figure out the controls, and there are no instructions anywhere- I just could not get a proper hot shower as the water temperature kept cycling between hot and freezing while having a shower. The "free wifi" was not working when I checked in, and in spite of several reminders to the reception, did not work for the entire duration of my stay, causing severe inconvenience. The service levels were pathetic- anything you need, you have to make at least 3 calls, and then keep hoping that someone will deliver! The free breakfast is pathetic. The staff are friendly, but do not seem to care about anything- the poor service levels seem to be more of a training issue. Also, during our stay, we realised that being close to the airport, this hotel was used by a lot of airlines to put up their short transit passengers and crew; the majority of the guests are in this category; this could also be part of the reason for the apathetic attitude of the staff, as they know that the business is assured in spite of their poor service! Overall, in spite of appearances and the name, a very frustrating experience. Will definitely not stay there in future, and will tell everyone to book here at your own risk! There are many more choices in Addis and hope to find a better one the next time!

Room Tip: Stay away from this place unless you are a transit passenger and do not mind the poor service and po...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your detailed review about our services. Please accept our apology for all the inconveniences you came across during your two weeks stay with us.Had we have the chance, We would have been very glad to correct the possible ones' while you were still in our hotel.
The internet service interruption was mostly from the sole provider Ethio telecom. As per the officials,it was due to immense construction work & network expansion going on in our city & specially in our area but it is currently in much better condition. I am sure that our service & breakfast quality has improved a lot in the past two months.Again using your constructive feed back,we will be conducting a deep & continuous assessment in order for us to address all our weak links. Please also note that the Duty manager is at your disposal during night times & the General manager can also be contacted 24hrs of any day.
With great regards,

Columbus, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We spent 3 weeks in Ethiopia, most of it in Jimma and were looking for a really good night in Addis before heading North. Unfortunately the wifi was down, and there were no working banking machines in the area. We walked down the block to the business district and were accosted by several women and small children begging. The banking machines didn't work down the street either.

The room was nice and the water worked well but the location could be much nicer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your priceless time & feed back. We apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay with us.Admitting we have had the occasion when WiFi service was down for few hours while you stayed in our hotel, please be aware that the problem did not steam from our system but from an external factor due to a temporary fiber/line cut & power failure. Most probably, because of the immense construction work being held in our city & our area. That could be the reason for the ATM banking systems in the area were not functioning. We any way have been seriously addressing the issue & Ethio Telecom officials have treated our complain as a top priority. Hence, our WiFi system is restored & it is perfectly operating at this time. We hope to serve you again with a better service & products.
With Hospitality Regards,
Getabicha Dejene

Been to Friendship International Hotel? Share your experiences!