“Lovely, charming guesthouse!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AREQU Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
AREQU Guest House
Save Saved
You added AREQU Guest House to your Saves list
Ring Road | Bob Marley Junction, Addis Ababa 3909, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #5 of 116 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
USA
“Lovely, charming guesthouse!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at Arequ for about nine weeks in summer 2012 (I'm a bit behind in posting!), and it was a lovely experience! The guesthouse is family-run, and everyone working there is very warm and hospitable. They also will help you around Addis and give great tips for restaurants, coffee shops, where to shop, etc. They also would call cab drivers for us, which I found especially helpful as you can't always walk out and get one in that area (and I don't speak Amharic).

The rooms were also quite spacious and kept very clean. The guesthouse is fairly new too, but has a great rustic, kind of mountain charm to its decor. I also liked that the same people cooked, cleaned and ran the front desk while I was there. It was nice getting to see and know familiar faces, which really helped the homey atmosphere. Another perk of being at a family-run guesthouse where people could get to know our names and who we were was that I discussed my gluten allergy with the family, and they started making me teff pancakes (delicious!) in the mornings. I was even given teff flour to take home. Overall, Arequ was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely stay there if I'm (hopefully) ever in Addis again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Ahadu Abaineh, the owner, personally met us at the airport to escort us to this wonderful, small boutique hotel. She was welcoming and helpful in every way. made our short stay in Addis quite memorable. the room was spacious, very clean, with one of the few big beds we encountered during our stay in northern ethiopia! excellent wifi available in every part of the building. close proximity to airport and very reasonable rates. ($60/night)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

From authentic hospitality to exceptional service and attentiveness to detail, Arequ is an oasis of originalism in the heart of Addis Ababa. I was a big fan of the communal breakfast/dining table and the rooms were spacious and extremely comfortable. The staff was incredibly welcoming and friendly and I would recommend Arequ to practically anyone hoping for an authentic and comfortable experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here for 2 weeks. I felt like I was home. It's design, decor, and welcoming staff it's comparable to none. Meski, our breakfast cook would go above & beyond to make whatever we wanted. Mulualem at the front desk was the sweetest. Everyone there was so lovely. The wifi is superb in addition to a wide selection of channels on TV. I stayed in one of the suites...huge with a great bathroom and awesome water pressure for hot showers. It's located about 5 min from the airport and the hot parts of town, but just out enough to be in a quite peaceful area.
Very reasonably priced...you may never want to leave.

• Stayed January 2013
Milano, Lombardia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Arequ it's the place to stay if you are in Addis: the room are great and the people are nice and professional. You've everything you need: nice room, hot water, wi fi. People are nice and professional. It sounds as staying at home! I stayed ther 1 week and I'm sure I'll go there again.
Logistically it's close to main streets and to the airport.
Just go and experience: you'll have great time.

Room Tip: I stayed in the double room at the first floor: great and quite. Roof top: gorgeous!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at AREQU for just over 1-week and loved it to pieces. Although the neighborhood that it's located in is still being developed, the distance to and from the main part of town in Addis (Bole Road / Bole Medhanalem Road) is very convenient. In fact, the location is perfect for travellers (such as myself) who enjoy the separation from the busy hustle & bustle of the town. I found the property to be very relaxing and zen like. The staff is simply amazing--good quality hospitality is very rare to come by in general and especially in Addis. Lastly, the Wi-Fi is the best, I mean THE BEST and most reliable in the city which is VERY convenient for people who like to stay connected online, upload pictures, etc. etc.

Room Tip: All the rooms are exceptionally designed. If early morning sunlight bothers you, then I would reques...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jinja, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a unique guesthouse, where the design of the place goes against the grain of guesthouses in Addis Ababa. Instead of business hotel type atmosphere, it seems the whole place from the finishing to furniture was designed for a homely environment. Its hard to figure out what it is from the outside, but once inside, it gives a welcoming and comfortable ambiance -- with a beautiful local aesthetic.

The staff are very welcoming and friendly, truly showing the spirit of sincere Ethiopian hospitality -- which these days is hard to see in urban Addis Ababa.

I stayed 8 days, and have never had such comfort staying in a guesthouse in Addis Ababa.

Room Tip: The top room (which I saw but did not stay in) had a spectacular views and a large balcony overseein...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to AREQU Guest House? Share your experiences!