“Tips and highlights” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 83 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Seattle
“Tips and highlights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice in the past two months. And I travel all over Africa, at least every three months. So there's my cred and here's my take:

This is a really good hotel, by any standards. There are a few quirks, but overall a great place to stay. Free shuttle from airport, nice large rooms, beautiful grounds, decent restaurants, really nice (if kinda slow) service.

Tips: yes, the AC sucks. Leave your balcony window open for some nice cool Addis breezes. The Indian restaurant is by far the best of the options. Join Starwood's membership program so you can stay on the executive floor, enjoy the daily free cocktail hour, and have both breakfast and wi-fi comped. Taxis are outside the main gates, but if you're willing to pay a bit of a premium, they have a very reliable fleet of cars. Enjoy the many many tv channels from all over the world.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Staying here for five days after a long week travelling in some hardship areas in Ethiopia and all I can say is whoa! The luxury collection hotel is probably the best in the region, the rooms are a good size, beautifully furnished and with every luxury you would need after a long day. There are four great resturants and I tried both the Italian and Indian and must say both are great but prefered the Indian. The gardens are immaculate and after a long day I can unwind here. I know people have complained about the AC but dont let that deter you, Addis is cool enough at night that I am not bothered by that. To top it all the Sheraton has a 24hr butler service with complimentary tea service 24/4. Thank you Sheraton Addis for setting a great standard for other hotels in the region and the country, I will be staying here again and again. Please come check this hotel out, you will be impressed and will have a great time

• Stayed March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'd actually rate this 2.5 out of 5 -- but I'm going to round up to 3 out of 5 to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd describe this place as all style and very little substance to back up all of the glitz.

That said, I really wanted to like this place...and first impressions were actually very good.

Staff at the airport arrivals area were friendly and I used the complimentary shuttle to the hotel. I arrived at the hotel around 1030 in the morning and the check-in agent was friendly and welcoming. He stated that my room wasn't yet ready (which I had expected given the early hour of my arrival) but offered me some coffee in the lobby and stated he would let me know as soon as I could head upstairs. He recognized my platinum status and stated I had been put into a suite. In under less than 30 minutes, my room was ready and I was escorted up.

The suite itself was OK, with a living room and a nice balcony overlooking the back fountain area. The bathroom was a bit on the cramped side -- with the shower stall being amongst one of the smallest I've ever seen. As others have mentioned the air conditioning was almost totally non-functional. This wouldn't have been such an issue, but the for the fact there were no screens on the window and the room filled with flies and bugs when I opened the windows.

The breakfast in the business center wasn't good - not a lot on offer and the individual working the room didn't seem to want to be bothered. The service at the Summerfields Restaurant left a lot to be desired. On the day I arrived, I went in to have lunch. After waiting at the host stand completely ignored by the staff for five minutes (as the staff milled about nearby), I finally gave up and went back to my room and ordered room service. The following evening I decided to give Summerfields another try, I waited just about as long before someone finally asked me if I wanted to be seated for dinner (I mean, why else would I be standing there?). The food was average and certainly not worth the price.

The evening prior to my departure, I had asked for a wake up call at 415am the following morning. After confirming with the attendant (three times) that the time was 415am (faranji time), I got no wake up call the following morning. When I called to find out about my wake up call and coffee delivery, I was told that I had requested a wake up call at 1015am. By 1015, I would already be in Bahar Dar...

Not sure exactly what is going on with this place -- for the prices they charge for rooms and food you would think that you would be able to get an air conditioned room with an on-time wake up call and attentive service. That isn't exactly the experience I got, save for my check-in experience. When back in Addis, I would definitely stay elsewhere. I would encourage you to do the same, until they get the kinks worked out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

If I have to compare, this hotel is really much better than let's say the Intercontinental. It is well maintained everywhere, the staff is very nice and professional and the restaurants are very very good and refined. When inside you completely forget about the bustling and polluted Addis.

The room we had was very nice and comfortable but as explain by some reviewers the A/C was not properly working and I am sure that it was much more than the 19°C mentioned hence some difficulty to sleep. Apparently they are on their way to fix this but that is why I will only give a 4 and not a 5.

As a general comment, it is also always annoying and "cheap" in a hotel that claims to be luxurious to pay an important price for the room and still have to pay some more few dollars for Internet access. Luxury is all inclusive for me (the not consistent part is that they offer a free shuttle to the airport).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Rooms are spaciuos and clean. Overall property is very nice with excellent swimming pool. There are 3 different restaurants, I went to Italian one and the food was good. Prices are decent, drinks very affordable. The biggest concern was AC because it was very ineffective. The bar is very good, live music on Thursday and Friday. Service is sometimes very good, but you can expect to be ignored by some staff. If you wish to have a tour of Addis the concierge can arrange private tour approximately 300 birrs per hour. The driver will have his own reccomendations, but I suggest do your own reseach and let him know where you want to o and what you want to see. If, by any chance, you are in the hotel when live music at the bar is available you will need to see a "dancing star" of the hotel for last 5 years. A middle age man will entertain everybody with his weird way of dancing the whole night. He will dance like he is alone and nobody will pay attention since apperantly he is doing that every night when live music is available. Everybody will tell you that he is a nice man, but noboy will be able to offer any kind of explanation for this strange, but funny dancing. If I ever go back to Addis I will stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Addis for business. The hotel is very posh and reminds you of a North American hotel. You forget you are in Ethiopia at the Sheraton.

The rooms are spacious and clean. The pool/spa area is beautiful. I only negative is the air was not working well in my room and would not go lower than 19C (which was still hot) and the service at the pool area was a little slow. I would stay here again the next time I am in Addis.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The was one of the most luxurious hotel I have stayed at in one of poorest countries I have ever visited! It really looks out of place. It is of course a fabulous hotel but the pool gets used by all the expats families living in Addis at the w-e and gets very crowded and noisy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business