“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 69 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Winnipeg, Canada
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Addis for business. The hotel is very posh and reminds you of a North American hotel. You forget you are in Ethiopia at the Sheraton.

The rooms are spacious and clean. The pool/spa area is beautiful. I only negative is the air was not working well in my room and would not go lower than 19C (which was still hot) and the service at the pool area was a little slow. I would stay here again the next time I am in Addis.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The was one of the most luxurious hotel I have stayed at in one of poorest countries I have ever visited! It really looks out of place. It is of course a fabulous hotel but the pool gets used by all the expats families living in Addis at the w-e and gets very crowded and noisy.

Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my second stay at the Sheraton in Addis. I will start off by saying that it is my first choice hotel to stay at in Addis only because there are no other hotels that I think have the equivalent amenities.

Having said that, the Sheraton has a lot of work to do if they want to pass this hotel off as one of their luxury lines.

I travelled with two other colleagues and all three rooms AC did not work. I travelled for 36 hrs and when I am paying what I am paying for this hotel room I expect the AC to work. I like having a cool room when I sleep but the temp in my room was well over 22C. I had to sleep with the balcony door open just to make it bearable.

The hotel grounds incuding the pool are excellent. Everything is clean and well maintained for the most part. Prices for drinks and food are reasonable.

The service is hit and miss. Some employees go out of their way to help you while others ignore or act put out when asking something. Most of the service is good.

Checkin and checkout can be a gong show if you are doing it at a high traffic time. Most hotels have a que system. This hotel doesn't and makes it extremely frustrating when it comes time to do this.

I will stay again but if a new hotel opens that compares to this Sheraton I will be try that out.

• Stayed March 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

By far the nicest hotel in Ethiopia. The Hilton in Addis is pretty good too, but a step down from this place. It is very large, with lush gardens and a nice pool, even a spa. Rooms are nice, not spectacular, but clean. Service is quite formal.

You will pay through the nose for food, which is average.

Very private, very safe (metal detector at front door) - which makes sense, as lots of UN and AU people stay here.

Transport service from the airport is available, though I didn't use it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I frequently travel on business and have stayed in a variety of business hotels in different countries in Africa. The rooms are spacious, and the facilities clean.

However:
- The air-conditioner is pretty ineffective. Everyone else on my team had the same problem in their rooms. Oh and if you open the windows to let some breeze in at night, the aircon switches itself off. Frustrating.
- Their food menu has 2 ethnic items and they're both pretty rubbish. If you want to get a feel for local cuisine, there is absolutely nothing on offer. In fact, when I decided to buy some Ethiopian at a recommended restaurant in town and brought it back to chomp on whilst working in my room, they stopped me at security and said that the hotel does not allow guests to bring in their food into the hotel. Bizarre.
- No tea or coffee service within the room. If you'd like to wake up and get a fresh cup, the only option you have is to pay USD 3 (+USD 2.50 + taxes) for delivery to your room.
- The breakfast buffet is expensive (USD 30 + taxes) and really not great. The room a la carte breakfast menu isn't great either and you end up paying a lot again.
- There is no gym. They say they're building one and it should be ready in 2 years.

So, if you decide to stay in and eat, be prepared for pastas and pizzas and other boring fare. Nights aren't comfortable. No gym to start the day with, and breakfast a let down.

In short, its the sort of hotel that is nice-looking and reasonably comfortable, but it makes you feel cheated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ReaderAddisAbaba, Management Team at Sheraton Addis, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Sheraton Addis. We are very concerned that you are unhappy in your stay experience with us as you have mentioned in your review.

Regarding air-conditioning, we would like to inform you that we are working on the problem and the issue will be resolved soon. Concerning the gym, it is true we do not have the gym facilities, however, we provide exercise bike to guest rooms up on request and based on availably in an attempt to meeting their need of the fitness center; again please accept our apologies if the bikes were not offered for you. The other concern was about unavailability of tea/coffee making in the room which we would like to let you know that we do provide tea/coffee free of charge all day long via butlers in room.

We certainly hope this experience won't deter you from staying with us on future visits to Addis Ababa.

Management Team
Westport, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The hotel is in a private location near the second Palace. The facility is well maintained and the staff anxious to please. This is my first trip to Ethiopia, and with that in mind the hotel was more than acceptable. I can only assume that world class amenities and food are challenging to come by.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
globalflyereal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was very hesitant about my trip to Addis Ababa as I knew really nothing about the city. I selected this propoerty as it had nice reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel will pick you up and drop you off at the airport complimentary. Just let them know your arrival time. The hotel is located in the heart of the city and really is an oasis! The grounds are spectacular. Check in was a bit slow as many airline crews were checking in and out. Security is tight and one must go through a security check before entering the hotel. The food was just ok nothing spectacular. The room was very large and I had a private balcony with a table and two chairs overlooking the pool area. This was lovely in the evening with the cool breeze.

Dear Guest,

Receiving your feedback means a lot to us and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comment after your recent stay at the Sheraton Addis. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and for exceeding your expectation as you have mentioned on your review that the property is “Excellent”. The management and the team promise to keep up the good work and again, thank you for sharing your experience with other guests.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Management Team

Been to Sheraton Addis? Share your experiences!