“Hugely over priced food. No gym. Idiotic rules.”
I frequently travel on business and have stayed in a variety of business hotels in different countries in Africa. The rooms are spacious, and the facilities clean.
- The air-conditioner is pretty ineffective. Everyone else on my team had the same problem in their rooms. Oh and if you open the windows to let some breeze in at night, the aircon switches itself off. Frustrating.
- Their food menu has 2 ethnic items and they're both pretty rubbish. If you want to get a feel for local cuisine, there is absolutely nothing on offer. In fact, when I decided to buy some Ethiopian at a recommended restaurant in town and brought it back to chomp on whilst working in my room, they stopped me at security and said that the hotel does not allow guests to bring in their food into the hotel. Bizarre.
- No tea or coffee service within the room. If you'd like to wake up and get a fresh cup, the only option you have is to pay USD 3 (+USD 2.50 + taxes) for delivery to your room.
- The breakfast buffet is expensive (USD 30 + taxes) and really not great. The room a la carte breakfast menu isn't great either and you end up paying a lot again.
- There is no gym. They say they're building one and it should be ready in 2 years.
So, if you decide to stay in and eat, be prepared for pastas and pizzas and other boring fare. Nights aren't comfortable. No gym to start the day with, and breakfast a let down.
In short, its the sort of hotel that is nice-looking and reasonably comfortable, but it makes you feel cheated.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
March 11, 2013
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Sheraton Addis. We are very concerned that you are unhappy in your stay experience with us as you have mentioned in your review.
Regarding air-conditioning, we would like to inform you that we are working on the problem and the issue will be resolved soon. Concerning the gym, it is true we do not have the gym facilities, however, we provide exercise bike to guest rooms up on request and based on availably in an attempt to meeting their need of the fitness center; again please accept our apologies if the bikes were not offered for you. The other concern was about unavailability of tea/coffee making in the room which we would like to let you know that we do provide tea/coffee free of charge all day long via butlers in room.
We certainly hope this experience won't deter you from staying with us on future visits to Addis Ababa.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.