“Great Indian food!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 119 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
Shire, Ethiopia
“Great Indian food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Clean hotel, with lovely staff. Prices are very good when you have Ethiopian residency.
Free airport shuttle is provided on request and the shuttle arrives on a time
They serve the best fried dhal and chapattis in their restaurant. I stayed there when there were 2 wedding parties going on but they finished at a reasonable time and the noise didn't enter the room. The location is very nice with a lot of shopping facilities nearby and the airport is not far.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The rooms are clean - just what you would expect for a hotel of its size. I found the price a little to expensive for the value it offers. The staff are friendly, especially those who work at the bar in the lobby. I was with friends who coupled up to share twin bed rooms and they had nice rooms; I had to get a single room on my own, but a bit disappointed that the room they gave me was on the corner (ends with *02) - hence, the WiFi was almost non-existent. I had to go near the door to get some signal (so a tip would be to check the room first before you take it - I myself didn't bother as I was only there for a night anyway. Given that I checked in really late 11pm, they should have given me one of the good rooms (mine had no balcony and bathtub whereas my friends' has even though we paid the same price) - and I'm pretty sure they weren't fully booked anyway. THe reception isn't knowledgeable enough when I asked for directions to museums. They were nice though, it seemed that they just genuinely didn't know - which is not something you would expect in a hotel reception. The breakfast was really disappointing too. Aside from that, everything else was okay. . I was impressed though with the room service - the food was not the best but surpassed my expectations. Overall, it is not too bad. Would I come back? I'll probably try another hotel but if I couldn't find any, I wouldn't mind staying here again - except that next time I would make sure I check the room first.

Room Tip: The ones in the corner has weak WiFi signal.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

this was a clean and very comfortable place to stay- about 10 minutes from the airport and central to most amenities. The staff went out of their way to make me comfortable- I arrived from the airport at 8 am and they rushed to get a room ready for me. Once there, I had trouble with the internet connection and again then went above and beyond to try and accommodate me, going as far as letting me use a personal computer to check for some important emails. I would highly recommend this hotel based on the extremely attentive staff.

Room Tip: top floor is quietest
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We've stayed in this hotel many times and the staff are generally very helpful. The gym is a real bonus with excellent facilities for Ethiopia and very helpful assistants. Meals and service are generally very good, but transport to and from the airport is unreliable. Paying by debit or credit card was often difficult due to system failure. Internet was usually slow and sometimes impossible (but there are good internet cafes close by).
You can get a great view of the city from the roof!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Our family of five stayed at the Axum not once, but twice, during our extended travels through Ethiopia. We were absolutely delighted by both the hotel and the way in which the staff extended themselves to be helpful. This is truly an international hotel and a real mix of ferengis and locals.
There is a wood paneled, clubby bar in the lobby where guests foregather to have a beer and watch soccer matches, the BBC or Ethiopian music videos. A small kiosk stocks shampoo, toothpaste and sundries, including candy displayed just a child's eye level. While simple, our rooms were always clean ( we saw no sign of bugs as per a previous review). We had hot water and about 10 television channels with good reception. Our rooms always included the breakfast buffet and a free shuttle to the airport ( leaving at 4:30 in the morning the first time) So handy and simple in a city where logistics can be challenging and negotiations endless. The restaurant is only fair, but right down the street there are other choices, including the excellent Sichuan Restaurant on the 6th floor of the WAF building on Haile Gebbreselassie Street ( that is the address printed on the card, phone # 251 0911 603926) Hang a right whilst leaving the Axum and it is a five minute walk, just keep looking up as it's on the 6th floor, although their sign is red neon.

No it's not the Sheraton- but you could stay here for a week for the price of a Sheraton night. Easily our favorite hotel in Addis and we have tried a few. An added plus is that it's really close to the airport, but a short taxi ride from the center of town.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are on a biggish street, but the dog barking seems ubiquitous in Addis. If you ar...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Have stayed in this hotel 4 times in past year. Good location, decent price, buffet breakfast, exceptionally helpful staff, locals bar, free internet - what more do you need.Rooms at the front - road side - can be a bit noisy if you need a lie-in but it does'nt worry me - and plenty of coffee shops in the neighbourhood

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at Axum Hotel in June.

Negatives:

1) The place is infested! There are insects everywhere)! Don't even think about turning the lights out or you have just sent an open invitation. To minimize the bugs you have to leave all the lights on constantly and spray repellant everywhere. Even then you won't get a comfortable night’s sleep, because you will have to keep an eye out for what might be crawling on you. I have stayed at many places in Ethiopia and have seen the occasional bug or insect, but this is the first place I have been where the infestation makes the place unlivable.

2) The rooms themselves were very plain, somewhat dirty, and unimpressive; paint peeling, dirt in corners and bathtub, ugly view from windows, not all light switches working.

3) Reservation was not honored when I first arrived at the Hotel (a very serious matter as I was coming from overseas). They did offer us a different room, but it was tiny compared to the suite I had reserved (and included all the issues I mentioned previously).

4) After staying in the room you will not feel comfortable eating at the in-hotel restaurant (as the kitchen might be infested too).

5) Unreliable internet (though to be fair this is an issue everywhere).

Positives:

1) There is a nice Souvenir Shop in the hotel

2) Good Bar in the reception area (For drinks only! I would not order food for the infestation reasons mentioned above).

3) There is a Men’s Barber in the Hotel

4) Fitness room in the Hotel with enough equipment to get the job done.

5) Refridgerator in the room.

The most disappointing thing about the Hotel was how atrocious the rooms are; the outside of the Hotel and the walkways inside are beautiful. I hope that the Hotel management read this review and begin to regularly use an insecticide in the hotel, institute a higher standard of cleaning for their rooms, honor their overseas reservations, and review their prices to insure they are providing value for the prices posted.

Personally, I will never stay here again and cannot at this time recommend that anyone else stay here either.

Room Tip: Find a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Axum Hotel? Share your experiences!