“Nice option for Transit Passengers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Panorama Hotel

You added Panorama Hotel to your Saves list
Panorama Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bole subcity, Haile G / Selassie Street, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #45 of 80 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Nice option for Transit Passengers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The advantage of flying with Ethiopian Airline is whenever the transit halt is more than 3 hours or so they offer you transit visa, transport, accommodation and applicable meal (breakfast / lunch / dinner) and its totally FREE OF CHARGES.

Since my Mumbai to Addis Ababa Flight was delayed, I missed my Berbera flight and I got the opportunity to enjoy the services offered by Ethiopian Airline. They put me to Hotel Panorama.

Location – Hotel is located within 5 kilometers from International Airport. One can find number of stores which are within 10 minute walking distance.

Parking Lot – has more than adequate space.

Amenities – Hotel has restaurant, restrobar, business center, small gymnasium & Spa.

Room - Rooms are decent. Has wardrobe with digital safe, working desk, tea table with 2 chairs, bed, side lamps. Bathroom has bathing tub. Continuous flow of hot and cold water is available. Air conditioner works well.

Sleep Quality – Bed is soft, bed sheet and pillow are clean. Since two beds are joined together sleeping is not comfortable if you are slipping in center otherwise one can have nice and peaceful sleep.

Restaurant – Has around 15 tables and offers buffet breakfast.

Food – As I was on transit I was offered total 6 coupons (breakfast, lunch & dinner). Every time I had to handover two coupons to the restaurant staff, one for meal and other for beverage.

Breakfast – Offers breads, cakes, 2 – 3 varieties of cornflakes, bacon, vegetables, fresh orange juice, bottled water, milk, coffee, fresh seasoned fruits. Live kitchen is available for egg related food item

Lunch & Dinner – Offers soup, bread, chicken, meat, vegetable, rice, soft drink & fruit salad.

Retro Bar – Offers variety of drinks.

Business Centre – Has 2 desktop computers, photocopier & printer.

Staff / Service – All staff speaks good English and are helpful.

I observed various beautiful paintings hanged on most of the walls of hotels with price tags. It seems hotel is promoting local artist.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Roman K, General Manager at Panorama Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mr Samir,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel with so much detail ... it's quite impressive. Please notify the staff or management regarding the bed or anything of concern on your next visit, so it can be corrected right away. Again, thank you for your positive comment. We are always working on upgrading our facilities and services to satisfy our valued guests.

We will look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Addis.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at Panorama for 3 days in Feb 2013. The rooms are so clean and spacious for the price I paid USD 110 for the deluxe room it is good value for money. The breakfast has acceptable options but needs more improvement.
The staff are friendly and always ready to help. The wifi connection in my room ( north mountain view) was good but the opposite side rooms have poor connection- a friend told me.

Room Tip: Tip - if you need good internet connection take the north side rooms they are also quite the deluxe...
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Due to the meeting of The African Union this was the only Hotel I could get for a 7 day business trip. Rooms were nice, staff were good and the breakfast was "OK", but just OK. It had 3 real big problems:

First - if you hold a foreign passport you cannot pay in local currency or Credit Card. Having just convereted a large sum of money into local Birr - I was stuck. The Hilton and the Intercontinental always honour local currency. So I had to find a bank and convert it all back to $US. When I checked out I said "I willl pay $500 US in cash and the balance on MC". The reply was the MC machine isn't working - you have to go the bank and bring us cash. I said no - I have no money in an accessible account. MC will have to do - period. Low and behold the Master Card machine works. (They just didn't want to pay the MC commission). LESSON - Never trust the management of a hotel that will not accept its own currency.

Second - they advertise free WIFI. The WiFi is so poor that it cannot claim to be working. Many times I would try to get on, only to get a message that the service is being used by others - try later. When you get on it is so weak it is only useable for email. Forget trying to send files.

Third - they are constructing a building across the lane from front door. They keep two dogs as security on site and they bark every 10 seconds until 1 am in the morning. You will only get sleep after 1 am.

If you are a business person and need Internet service, a workable credit card system and a good night sleep then AVOID the Panorama at all cost!!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms that front onto lanewy (front lobby). Choose an internal room or one that over...
Roman K, Manager at Panorama Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Terry B.

Thank you for staying at the Panorama Hotel.

We appreciate your comment and will do whatever necessary to improve our facilities and services. However, some of the comments made warrant response.

Though we regret the inconvenience caused regarding payment during check out, we would like to inform you and our esteemed guests that it is standard procedure and the regulation of our Central Bank that foreign passport holders have to pay in hard currency, or pay in local currency by presenting the currency exchange invoice they get from the bank. Please also note that the same is posted at our Reception desk.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding internet connection and would like to inform our guests that we are working with ETC to improve the speed and overall capacity of the wi fi connection.

It would have made your stay more comfortable if you had brought issues to the attention of Management during your stay with us.

Again, thank you for your feedback and hope to have you with us soon.

Roman
Pretoria, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent 24 in Addis Ababa due to an unexpected Layover.

Ethiopian Air booked me into The Panorama and gave me some meal vouchers for my stay.

Id like to start off my saying this is not a 5 star Hotel. Not even By African Hotel Standards. Ive stayed at 2 star hotels in the middle of nowhere in Uganda better than this hotel.

The Food served was terrible, and to top it off as a guest you are only allowed 500ml of drinking water per meal, anything more and you have to pay. (Dont even think about drinking the tap water)

The staff are pretty much clueless, and it doesnt make it any better that they dont really speak English. It took about 4 different staff and 30min to try and get the safe in the room operational.

If you have no choice, walk across the street, there is a guest house.

Room Tip: Walk across the street and book yourself into the guest house.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Roman K, Manager at Panorama Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Tinus,
Panorama Hotel is a 4 star hotel dedicated to meet the service quality of our esteemed guests. We believe we have competent employees who are continuously trained to provide standardized service. And therefore, pride ourselves with quality service we offer our guests. In addition, we are known for our excellent menu where we have permanent clients who come to enjoy the delicious food and good ambiance.
It is reasonable to believe that there are cases where there might be flows in the process. We hope our guest will bring it to the attention of management for resolution. However, it was not the case with you and we do apologize.
We look forward to having you with us here at the Panorama
Lilongwe, Malawi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I spent the night here after missing a flight at the airport; Ethiopian Airlines arranged a transit visa and insisted I stay at this hotel as part of that package. The value was excellent. For US$50, I received my night's accommodation, breakfast, lunch, dinner and transport to/from airport.

The beds were comfortable and clean enough. The showers had good hot water but the pressure was poor. There was no climate control and I shivered through much of the night. There was a lot of noise in the hotel throughout the night. People talking, doors closing and the hotel seems to have some sort of alarm that goes off incessantly if guests leave their doors open. One such alarm went on for about half an hour. Consequently, I did not sleep well at all. Wi-fi internet was an acceptable speed and better still - free!

The highlight of my stay was the breakfast: fresh fruit, cold cuts, a nicely done omelette, cereals, breakfast cakes, good strong coffee, as well as crepes and french toast. What a treat! (Lunch was not quite as good, and I went out for dinner.)

This hotel could really do with some noise management and offering their clients a heater or an extra blanket.

Despite my complaints, I would stay here again - the price is a good deal for Addis!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here on 2 different occasions as part of an organized tour. Our first room was on an upper floor and the bed cover, bathroom and room were worn and dirty. It reminded me of cheap, roadside motels in the U.S. We just arrived in Ethiopia, so we assumed this was how hotels were there. On our second visit, the bedroom was on a lower floor and was completely different with nice bed linens and a clean and updated room. Internet access via wireless was fine and the staff moved slow, but were friendly. Food is dull and limited, but edible. It was my least favorite hotel experience after 2 weeks of travel in Ethiopia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent a full day here after missing an airline connection. Hotel was nice, we had a corner room with a wrap around balcony. Balcony had great views but only short wall between next rooms balcony. Hotel was not very soundproof but was well cared for and very clean. Staff was helpful. Answered several questions and arranged a driver to take us around the city. Had ok wifi. Ethiopian Airlines gave us three meals at the hotel. Everything was very spicy but was good. Evening and morning were buffets but with limited selection.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Panorama Hotel? Share your experiences!